Picture for Car Guru

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a friend that traded for this and some money to boot. What is your guess on what it is worth? I don't no how many miles it has on it or the year but no scratches or dents the inside is very well kept.

Jaguar XJS V12

I know what he gave for it but wondering what you would give for this outfit?

Attachments

• IMG_7776.JPG
    IMG_7776.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7777.JPG
    IMG_7777.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 47
Nice car!
Have no idea about pricing, though :)

Lot's of "depends" but probably less than 15k

AutoTrader shows XJS V12 convertibles from $11.5K to $42.5K asking. Depends on miles, condition, year, etc. - pointless to "guess" with so little info.

If your friend is happy with the deal, that's all that matters so far. You can rest assured the dealer (or private party) is happy with what they got. An old XJS would have to a lot of "fun" to maintain [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
^ true! I will ask him what year and miles sometime. He gave 4600$ in trade and money for the car. I think he stole it! Lol

Thanks

They are pretty nice to look at but keeping them driving on the road isn't cheap.

How many miles? What year?

$4,600 seems about right. If it was a non-convertible, maybe $2,500 to $3,000.

Convertibles always seem to get a premium even if a lot of miles and older..Wind in your hair piece and bugs in your teeth!

I have owned several Jaguars.

A few of the lessons learned:
Nothing more expensive than a cheap Jaguar.
Lucas ignition, electronics -nightmare. AKA Lucas the prince of darkness.
I alwasy passed on the V12 Far too many things to wrong.
Example: some V12's fuel line was run thruugh an intercooler cooled by the car's AC. If AC fails engine will vapor lock.
Very heavy engine, ball joints wrecked in no time.
If you look under the hood get new meaning to the word plunber's nightmare.
The straight six engines are nearly industrible, awesome low end torque.

All I have left from my Jaguar era is Jaguar leaper which decorated the bonnet (hood)
Bonus joke: why Jaguar never made refrigerators? They never figured out how to make it leak oil.

Link to a raft of v12 engine photos.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=xjs+v12+e...2/1989-Jaguar-XJ-S-V12-engine-1-AOA1200px.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned several Jaguars.

A few of the lessons learned:
Nothing more expensive than a cheap Jaguar.
Lucas ignition, electronics -nightmare. AKA Lucas the prince of darkness.
I alwasy passed on the V12 Far too many things to wrong.
Example: some V12's fuel line was run thruugh an intercooler cooled by the car's AC. If AC fails engine will vapor lock.
Very heavy engine, ball joints wrecked in no time.
If you look under the hood get new meaning to the word plunber's nightmare.
The straight six engines are nearly industrible, awesome low end torque.

All I have left from my Jaguar era is Jaguar leaper which decorated the bonnet (hood)
Bonus joke: why Jaguar never made refrigerators? They never figured out how to make it leak oil.

Link to a raft of v12 engine photos.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=xjs+v12+e...2/1989-Jaguar-XJ-S-V12-engine-1-AOA1200px.jpg

Why do English folks drink warm beer? Their refrigerators are made by Lucas.

I used to restore MGB's with my Dad and the mechanicals were simple. Tuning multiple carbs was a bit harder. And the electrical were a nightmare. Fun times.

He will probably want to stock up on some of this stuff:

Attachments

• wire-harness-smoke-Custom.jpg
    wire-harness-smoke-Custom.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 25
Beautiful cars, nightmare maintenance. The 6 cyl are better, but still not close to the normal automotive maintenance. The V12 are just headaches - run Forrest run. The XJS was made until 1992(?) and so you are dealing with a 30 year old car to begin with.

There is a reason so many Jaguars end up with a Chevy V8 swap. More hp, better reliability, and about the same weight as the Jag 6 cyl, or less than the V12.

I interesting information. Lol I guess I'm glad it wasn't me that owns it then.

I was thinking the price was pretty good but now I wouldn't of paid 46$ for it. Lol

There's not a better looking car stranded on the side of the road than a Jaguar.

I had a Shelby 289 Cobra with Lucas electrics. Diode in generator shorted and burned up the whole wiring harness. I completely rewired using aircraft wire, mil-spec Cannon plugs at firewall, pushbutton circuit breakers hidden in glove box, etc. That was before they were big collector cars. Now that would be called sacrilege.

My business partner had a vanilla E-Jag. I drove it in an autocross one time; worst handling car I have ever competed in. Huge understeer until the rear end finally jacked itself up enough to let go, then huge oversteer. Beautiful car, though.

@corn18 beat me to the Lucas refrigerator joke. :(

You would think they would have washed the off of the tires before photographing the car for a sale picture. I have seen jeeps with less mud on their tires.

I went to college in a 64 Plymouth Valiant. My roommate showed up in a brand new 68 Jaguar XKE convertible.

He installed Abarth exhaust and changed the gear ratio back to where top end was 150 mph. And at 7000 rpms, that car would sing to you.

I have a Jaguar XK8 convertible, and bought it with 59K miles very cheap.

The XJS V-12's are not terribly in demand, but can pull $6-8,000 if in good shape.

To drive any old foreign car, it's mandatory to have a specialty salvage yard. In the Southeast, there's a Jaguar salvage yard east of Atlanta that has hundreds of cars cataloged in pieces.

Know nothing of Jags, but maintenance was my first thought as well.

Although not the same type of car, I had an Audi A6 for a while. I loved it when it was under warranty. But, the relationship soured quickly when I had to get out my checkbook to pay for the upkeep. Ouch! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom