Plausible Cause for Severe Cases of Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of it. I think endogenous means something you can take to supplement?

Never heard of it. I think endogenous means something you can take to supplement?

I believe so: whey isolate, NAC, Vitamin C and possibly some other things.

I think endogenous means something you can take to supplement?

I thought it meant that you couldn't tell if they were male or female.

I can't copy/paste sections of the article but what I gather...fresh fruits and vegetables are the natural source of glutathione. It explains why we're more susceptible to flu/viruses in the winter and spring. Also, that Japanese and Korean's consume more of these foods than African Americans who have a high processed food diet.
The medical team researching this from Kursk State Medical University, Russia, is basing this assumption on a very small study. It does make sense although it says the antiviral effect is clearly nonspecific.

I can't copy/paste sections of the article but what I gather...fresh fruits and vegetables are the natural source of glutathione. It explains why we're more susceptible to flu/viruses in the winter and spring. Also, that Japanese and Korean's consume more of these foods than African Americans who have a high processed food diet.

Yes, it's also something that declines with age, so if you are not getting enough of those fruits and veggies, the supplementation route might be something to consider.

Glutathione is something that the body manufactures (endogenous) as opposed to ingests from the outside world (exogenous). Glutathione is an anti-oxidant used in cells to neutralize free radicals/reactive oxygen species. The paper is a 'hypothesis'. One of a gazillion currently proposed.

Supplementation of other anti-oxidants has largely shown to be harmful. Supplements in general are not useful for the general population. If one has specific deficiencies then yes as treatment. Randomized trials of oral glutathione supplementation have been negative to improve oxidative stress biomarkers or glutathione levels - glutathione is a tripeptide (small protein) and is likely mainly digested. A glutathione precursor, N-acetlycysteine (Mucomyst) is used in cases of acetaminophen overdose. Acetaminophen is very deadly to the liver (and thus the body) when excess is taken and excess is not dramatically more than the therapeutic dose.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved N-acetylcysteine to treat the liver side effects resulting from an overdose of the anti-inflammatory medication Tylenol® (acetaminophen). N-acetylcysteine is also used to loosen the thick mucus in the lungs of people with cystic fibrosis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This study is the first to test N-acetylcysteine in people with severe COVID-19 infections.
I hate to sound like a downer but it's these little things that bother me.

The quote above is from the article. Acetaminophen is not an anti-inflammatory. Could be a typo or "layman's error" by the non-medical person who typed up the document. But..., I don't know. These little things are like sand in my popsicle at the beach.

I hate to sound like a downer but it's these little things that bother me.

The quote above is from the article. Acetaminophen is not an anti-inflammatory. Could be a typo or "layman's error" by the non-medical person who typed up the document. But..., I don't know. These little things are like sand in my popsicle at the beach.
+1

Good catch! And yes they should do better. Good editors are hard to find!

Glutathione is something that the body manufactures (endogenous) as opposed to ingests from the outside world (exogenous). Glutathione is an anti-oxidant used in cells to neutralize free radicals/reactive oxygen species. The paper is a 'hypothesis'. One of a gazillion currently proposed.

Supplementation of other anti-oxidants has largely shown to be harmful. Supplements in general are not useful for the general population. If one has specific deficiencies then yes as treatment. Randomized trials of oral glutathione supplementation have been negative to improve oxidative stress biomarkers or glutathione levels - glutathione is a tripeptide (small protein) and is likely mainly digested. A glutathione precursor, N-acetlycysteine (Mucomyst) is used in cases of acetaminophen overdose. Acetaminophen is very deadly to the liver (and thus the body) when excess is taken and excess is not dramatically more than the therapeutic dose.

OK thanks. Exogenous was what I was confusing. I was thinking about what they call keto supplements

Obviously Exo versus Endo - should have known my Greek!

Last edited:
Here is an explanation of NAC from a Life Extension paper:

"N-acetylcysteine (NAC). N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is an amino acid derivative with mucolytic properties often used in the context of respiratory illnesses.111-113 A meta-analysis published in 2017 found that treatment with NAC led to shorter duration of intensive care unit (ICU) stay compared with control among patients with ARDS.114 Based upon some positive observational data during late 2019 and early 2020, some Chinese institutions have initiated using NAC as part of the standard management of patients in the hospital setting,70 although clinical trials are needed to specifically assess outcomes in patients with severe, viral respiratory illness treated with NAC. Some researchers have suggested NAC could provide valuable functional support for the health of mucous-producing cells lining the respiratory tract in some types of patients suffering from SARS-type viral respiratory illness on the basis of its potent antioxidant and mucolytic properties.115"

As Perry Mason might say: "It goes to credibility, Your Honor."
Absolutely!

OK thanks. Exogenous was what I was confusing. I was thinking about what they call keto supplements

Obviously Exo versus Endo - should have known my Greek!
Precisely. New medical learners have the handicap of having to learn 3 or 4 new languages plus the names of countless old dead guys! Not to mention the massive knowledge that comes on line every day and acquire tools to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Well, we already learn a lot of Latin and Greek from modern English and high school biology. I study several Romance languages so it’s easy for me to recognize Latin versus Greek.

Exoskeleton:facepalm:

Supplements in general are not useful for the general population. If one has specific deficiencies then yes as treatment.

Healthy natural food sources are best, but if you have deficiencies, many of which occur with age, that is an exception. You also have to consider the fact that many individuals in the general population do not eat healthy foods or enough of them, plus many foods nowadays have had their nutrient content diminished due to processing.

Mod note: Links to videos that are not viewable at their source will be removed from threads. Please find original sources of reputable content vs. Youtube, when available, in particular for any medical discussions.

NAC is a precursor to glutathione, which is the body's master antioxidant. There is some evidence that it has anti thrombotic properties as well, as the evidence is mounting that some COVID deaths are related to coagulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom