• Increased

Votes: 133 85.3%
  • Decreased

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Remains about the same

Votes: 17 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Retired 12 years ago. Net worth up 35% despite not yet claiming social security. Doing that next year which will reduce draw on assets by 50%. So thinking the next 12 years will be much better.

This really would have been a more useful thread if everyone accounted for inflation in their responses. In my case, despite remaining about even, we're down when considering inflation. Which is fine, with 16 years of ER, and as Car-Guy said, spending like drunken sailors. I suspect over the next 10 years of slower living we'll make up some of that decrease.

Father time is now slowing my spend rate, which was also expected. FireCal still says I'm still good to 100, which I'll never see, so no financial complaints here.

Honestly I'm surprised I've maintained as well as I have... It's not from a lack of trying. Full expect to be an outlier on this thread too. ("again").

Have you watched Netflix: Living to 100? It's 4 very entertaining episodes about how people in the areas of longest life, "centenarians," live.

Interesting topic. Although I went with "increased", I just looked up my net worth (not including our paid off home) from 10 years ago when I retired at 54 and it's now tripled.

With the exception of current CD's which I'm making a good amount of money with, my personal investment account is still 12% less than when Biden took office. I highly doubt I'll be seeing that missing 12% anytime soon.

Networth history.

Since early 2014 we are up 47%, including substantial RMDs of more than17%. Accounting for inflation, 47% reduces to 13%. Have not accounted for inflation in the 17% RMDs, life is too short for excessive number crunching. It has been a good market, who knows what the next nine years will surprise us with.

DP retired 10 years ago. I retired 6 years ago. DP is collecting SocSec and a minuscule pension. I'm not collecting anything yet.

We are up 14% from when I retired. Spending has been much lower than expected due to Covid (much less travel and restaurant eating). Also, I took a deep breath and bought a bunch of stock in March 2020 during the big dip, so that helped.

We have been only 50-55% in equities. DP turns 80 this year and her part of the portfolio is conservatively invested at her request.

If you want to take inflation into account as we do, I recommend the cumulative inflation calculator at inflationdata.com http://inflationdata.com/inflation/inflation_calculators/Cumulative_Inflation_Calculator.aspx . You can see where your initial retirement portfolio would have been in today’s dollars to compare to the current value.

For example, if your starting portfolio was $1,000,000 in August of 1999, then today (Sept 2023 most recent data) that would have to equal $1,841,944.94 to break even with inflation. Inflation over that time period was 84.19% so your portfolio would have had to grow at least 84.19% to keep up with inflation.

Last edited:
Almost 13 years retired
savings up 79%
house value doubled.
overall net worth a little over 190% of what it was the day I retired.

But, honestly, a lot of the increase was new income from unspent SS and pensions, not cleaver investing.

Our assets have increased 172% since retirement in 2014.

This does not account for inflation, and obviously, we we need to spend more.

In a similar boat, also retired in 2014, much greater asset value.

Have a very robust budget but I'm not even spending 1.5% of my assets. Not getting Social Security payments or RMDs yet and I've mostly spent dividend income, not selling equities or funds (including bond funds).

So coming up on 10 years of retirement, the greater risk appears to be having too much left instead of not having enough.

May mean looking to spend on things I've never considered or don't even try to find "value" prices.

May also mean selling some equities which have a lot of unrealized cap gains, take the hit on cap gains now instead of as a form of LTCI.

Last edited:
Not in your poll, retired 2.5 years ago,
my portfolio is down at least 10%~15%.

But I am looking forward to increasing my spending, after reading those posts with mostly increased portfolio.

Not in your poll, retired 2.5 years ago,
my portfolio is down at least 10%~15%.

But I am looking forward to increasing my spending, after reading those posts with mostly increased portfolio.

I increased our spending, but it was because the portfolio increased.

Not in the poll either.
We have been retire a couple months over 5 yrs.
Our portfolio is up 6.1% at the 5 year mark, and up a little more since then.
Spending the last two years was about 3%, the three years before that were closer to 5.5% as we were paying some hefty tuition. Glad that's over. We will start SS in 13 months, maybe sooner.

Retired 17 years, 100% stock portfolio up about 150% (despite pullbacks of 43% in 2008-2009, 53% in 2020, 40% in 2022-2023), dividend income more than tripled (current valuations much lower than in 2006) while pulling 4-5% annually.

I'm not in the poll either. Retired just over 3 years. My nominal NW has declined ~6% in 3 years but there's mitigating factors. I've been "investing" in deferred SS and pension. Anyone know how to put a PV on SS or pension?:horse: ?

I also have done $160K in Roth conversions with the taxes disappearing from my taxable account. I don't feel any poorer but my nominal NW has declined ~$200K. It's all good and the masterplan remains on track.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom