Poll: Peanut Butter, Smooth or Crunchy?

Peanut Butter: Smooth or Crunchy?

• Smooth

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • Crunchy

Votes: 87 51.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like them both, but if I had to choose, crunchy would be it.
My favorite is all natural, only peanuts. Although stirring in the oil at first is a pain, and draining it out is not a good idea, the 'butter' at the end is too dry to eat.

Same here. So, I like smooth, specifically Jif smooth. Getting more picky about the brand of PB that I prefer, as I grow older.

Also starting to wonder if I should buy some grape jelly since I haven't had PB and grape jelly sandwiches for over sixty-five years and IIRC they were pretty good. Yeah, grape jelly isn't all that healthy but then IMO nobody sincerely eats PB for the health benefits.

I recently did just that! Bought a small jar of smuckers grape jelly.
PB&J of my childhood. Yum.

I recently did just that! Bought a small jar of smuckers grape jelly.
PB&J of my childhood. Yum.
Yum!! You've convinced me, I've gotta get some Smuckers grape jelly. That was the same brand we used to get in my childhood, too. :D

Need a third choice for no preference. Actually, I like crunchy but DW likes smooth so we keep both on hand (I voted crunchy).

I've been buying Aldi's no-stir "natural" although it contains added palm oil and sugar, but it must not be a ton of sugar since it tastes less sweet to me than others. Sometimes Kroger had a coupon for free PB, so that's what I also get.

Looking again at the ingredients list, it says "Warning: Contains peanuts." Who'd have thunk it?

Always crunchy!!

Smooth? Ugh .... heathens....

Our favorite had actually been to grind our own. Toss a bunch of roasted peanuts in the blender, spin it up into a paste. Then add some more, pulse it to crunch them up. We end up with excellent crunchy peanut butter, nothing but peanuts & some salt, and the "crunchy" bits are smaller, so you get the PB crunch but it's easier to spread.

pb4uski prefers smooth, but likes both smooth and crunchy. It is just that DW doesn't like crunchy so we rarely get it. Usually Jiff or Skippy or store-brand.

I am in a mixed marriage. I prefer crunchy, DH prefers smooth. But my preference is weaker than his strong preference... so I buy smooth.

As others mentioned - I only buy peanut butter that has just peanuts and salt. No hydrogenated anything, no emulsifiers, no sugar.

I ate PB sandwiches a lot in the 1970s and 1980s until I finally got tired of it in the early 1990s. I liked smooth PB, preferring Jif but not married to it. All I have now are several PB jars I use a lot for storage.

Alan, didn't know they had peanut butter in England or much of Europe.

Sure, in Holland they call it Pindakaas. Kaas is cheese, so we think it’s funny. Peanut cheese.:LOL:

Last edited:
Always buy Costco Kirkland brand since the first time we purchased it.

There is an old saying that "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die." I credit the squalor I lived in as a boy for my robust health today.

There is an old saying that "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die." I credit the squalor I lived in as a boy for my robust health today.
I had to laugh when I read this quote as I have recently read a book on bacteria. The first paragraph of the book notes that one cubic centimeter of soil contains roughly one billion bacteria. By comparisons, the author states that the air we breath contains maybe ~1,000/cubic meter. It looks like dirt is where the action is.
No mention of the concentration of bacteria in my crunchy, Adams PB. :LOL:

The crunchier, the better! I buy dry-roasted, lightly-salted peanuts, & use my heavy-duty Vitamix blender, with an S-blade, & a small bowl. That way, I have no one to complain to, but myself, if it doesn't come out right! Tried adding some honey, but that's a crap-shoot on final texture. I'm still experimenting adding some peanut oil to get a crunchier texture, without losing spreadbility. I eat my mistakes!! :D

I've switched to crunchy peanut butter because it's generally slightly higher in fiber than smooth peanut butter. But I know the difference is small, and I'm not opposed to smooth peanut butter when it's available.

Smooth, with only peanuts and salt. It needs to be available for inclusion in dishes as well as for snacking. And I primarily use it to make snack sandwiches for use in field birding, and I don't want to bother with dealing with peanut pieces.

Wife buys smooth so that is what we eat. I never use to eat peanut butter till the last few years. I liked it but very seldom eat it. I really like it on club crackers now and PB/jelly sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom