Possible EV charging Site

Winemaker

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Having new electrical service upgrades added to our 4 unit apartment building, the contractors, after 2 years could only find a 6 metered unit. So, I was thinking, could I install 2 EV charging stations to take up the 2 unused meter sockets? I'm 1 mile off of an interstate, and 3 miles from another and in a residentially zoned neighborhood. Would/could Tesla install a charger at my property, and I can collect a fee from anyone who needs some juice?

Having new electrical service upgrades added to our 4 unit apartment building, the contractors, after 2 years could only find a 6 metered unit. So, I was thinking, could I install 2 EV charging stations to take up the 2 unused meter sockets? I'm 1 mile off of an interstate, and 3 miles from another and in a residentially zoned neighborhood. Would/could Tesla install a charger at my property, and I can collect a fee from anyone who needs some juice?
Lots of things to investigate. Does the feed to the meter unit, and the transformer feeding it, have the capability of the increased current required? Probably not.
Zoning - Sounds commercial, or at least neighborhood services or something like that. And can it be combined with a residence(s)? Zoning issues. And might not be allowed on the same lot. Some of the zoning stuff you could sound out in person if you know someone in the P&Z area of the municipality. That may be enough to kill the idea.
Don't forget about insurance and liability, etc. even if it IS doable.

Legal issues aside, is there enough power there to make it worthwhile?

My home has a 200A meter, and at 240V, that's 48 kW. Let's round it up to 50 kW.

A Level 2 charging point is 50 kW, and EV owners sneer at Level 2 chargers because they are too slow. A supercharger is up to 200 kW and more.

Worse, I share one ground-mounted transformer with 3 neighbors (we have underground utility). This transformer is in my neighbor's yard, and here's a photo of it. The label on it says 50 kVA (I magnified the label to make it legible).

So, although each of the 4 homes can draw 50 kW, they don't expect us to do that at the same time. That transformer would blow!

And indeed, even when I ran the 5-ton central AC 24/7 in the 115F heat, my consumption was only 5 kW on the average. And if each of the 4 homes did that, that transformer still delivered only 20 kW and had plenty of reserve. However, it cannot handle all 4 homes charging EVs at the same time, unless the charging power is set down way low.

PS. By the way, I never looked at that transformer really close until recently, when they changed out the 40-year-old transformer that was leaking oil. This is the photo of the new transformer.

10965-albums220-picture2688.png

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. The current transformer is on a pole 20 from my building. I've thought about the zoning issue, but I'm just investigating how these chargers can be obtained. This is a neighborhood that used to have corner grocery stores, but some of these old stores are now a flooring store, a dry cleaners, and electronic parts recycler. 4 blocks away is a major candy manufacturer, and there is a playground/park across the street from my unit.

My neighbor had a charger installed as part of her Tesla purchase. Does she own it or is it under lease from Tesla. The 6 charging stations at our local mall are owned by Tesla or the shopping center. As I understand it, one plugs their EV into the charger, it is identified, and any juice you use, is charged to the identified owner of the EV.

Agreed, a supercharger would be best.

Home chargers are owned by the car owners. These deliver much less than the 50 kW power of the commercial "slow" Level 2 chargers, but people charge overnight.

Actually, you don't even need any charger. You can plug an EV into a common 115V outlet and get 3-4 miles for each hour of charge. It will take a couple of days to top off an empty EV battery.

Better yet, you can plug it into a 240V outlet of a cloth dryer or an equivalent outlet, and get 10-15 miles for each hour of charge. You can top off overnight.

The current transformer is on a pole 20 from my building...

At my boondocks home, the utility is not underground and each home has its own pole-mounted transformer. The individual transformers are relatively small, and can provide only 10-15 kW.

image-20220328111933072.png

If several homes share a pole-mounted transformer, then of course it is larger, but I doubt that it is any bigger than the ground-mounted 50 kW transformer shared between 4 homes.

stock-photo-pole-mounted-distribution-transformer-for-residential-and-light-commercial-service-pole-mounted-1058768633.jpg

Last edited:
My transformer, I suppose, is big enough for the just the 4 unit apartment building, and IIRC, 100 amp service to each. I'll check the size later today. Thanks again, NW, for your replies.

Well, sorry I haven't been back to this thread until now. My research came to a complete stop when I was given an offer I can't refuse on the sale of our two units. Took me by surprise!

Well, sorry I haven't been back to this thread until now. My research came to a complete stop when I was given an offer I can't refuse on the sale of our two units. Took me by surprise!
As the old saying "take the money and run". Unless it creates a major tax issue, or complicates some inheritance plans. Seems like a nice opportunity to simplify and reduce potential headaches.

Well that’s wonderful! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom