Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between 2021

WTREP dumped to under $25.20 and I bought more at $25.19. Maybe someone knows something as there seems to be dumps not dribbles. But it goes exD in a month for 48 cents so its worth it either way to me.
Look at the pricing of this issue and go back to March of last year when most liquid issues were rocked from $25 down to $10-$15. $22.69 was its low...incredible.

AT&T Preferrerd "C" went under $25, seems like a pretty low risk solid 5% play?

AT&T Preferrerd "C" went under $25, seems like a pretty low risk solid 5% play?

4.75% check out how fast it dropped in the past week or so, from 25.60s to sub $25 with the increase in 10 year Treasuries rates. I think one needs to be very careful with the sub 5% preferred and notes. I've pretty much sold off any sub 5% pref.

4.75% check out how fast it dropped in the past week or so, from 25.60s to sub $25 with the increase in 10 year Treasuries rates. I think one needs to be very careful with the sub 5% preferred and notes. I've pretty much sold off any sub 5% pref.

I agree RE...About a month or two ago, I saw no advantage owning these types. This is what caused me to load up on the TDE, SESCF, SCCC etc. of its ilk because they hold up better on a higher yield and growing economy.
I did buy some IPLDP around $25.70 a few days ago. But that was only to counter balance my increasing reach for yield in less than IG quality issues. I fully expect it to sputter and sag.

DR1959, could consider TDA, 5.875%, past call but can get for a few pennies above call price, collect the dividends until if/when it gets called. BB rating. Or TDE with half a divvie premium.

I'm considering WTREP, 8.5% Cum Prf. per Mulligans suggestion in a post above. It's pretty new too.

I currently have AT&T cash covered puts at $27 and have been riding the options on it back and forth between $27 - $34 for a good while now. Screw the preferred, just play the options on it. It seems to trade in that range pretty steadily.

Just for clarification, I consider QRTEP in my higher risk bucket. I probably own a bit too much for my stash. But I got in around $93 when QRTEA shareholders had these dumped into their acct and said, “WTF is this, I will just sell it and take the cash”.
See most preferreds are issued as capital and corporation receives proceeds from underwriting and selling. This however was not sold...It was just given to shareholders.. A freebee that likely drained the value of the common a bit when it was issued last fall. John Malone likes to “extract value” from his companies, and this was a unique way to do so. QVC had a helluva Covid year and Qurate gave out 30% of its stock value in special dividends last year in addition to the preferred.
Hopefully some of the Covid momentum Qurate got will be partially continued going forward so the preferred stays reasonably safe.

I'm considering WTREP, 8.5% Cum Prf. per Mulligans suggestion in a post above. It's pretty new too.

I currently have AT&T cash covered puts at $27 and have been riding the options on it back and forth between $27 - $34 for a good while now. Screw the preferred, just play the options on it. It seems to trade in that range pretty steadily.

Aja, just remember WTREP is most likely a short rope play. Its house odds it will be redeemed sometime this year. But 48 cents is coming end of March so that divi is in the bag anyways.

Fiiso, wfc-l, bac-l, ailll, ailim, cnlpl, cnthp, ipwlk, qrtep, aprdo, ipldp, ktba, mnr-c, rnr-e, cbklp, bgepf, cnigp

Dont forget FPI-B if one wants to play inflating land value angle from inflation or asset inflation in a chicken hearted way. This issue participates in land value gain. Was issued at $25, but is now worth $25.80 at redemption and resets again any value gain again this coming August. Has a 10% yield step up penalty in 2024 if not redeemed or converted.
CEO has been buying up shares of common so I dont see a dilution redemption into shares coming at all. I own a healthy amount here and flip back and forth on 20 cents frequently...Did it today also, lol..Goes exD again in less than a month.

Fiiso, wfc-l, bac-l, ailll, ailim, cnlpl, cnthp, ipwlk, qrtep, aprdo, ipldp, ktba, mnr-c, rnr-e, cbklp, bgepf, cnigp

Hey Coolius, glad to see you finally climbing out of your bunker..Guess you have to use sunglasses posting now you come out of the cave. :)

Hang on until 2031 Winemaker and if they are still in business you are guaranteed to get your $100 back!

It's only money! And enough for a bottle of 2 buck Chuck, if I ever had to stoop that low!

Winemaker, as I type its crawled back to $100.00 even..Hurry quick...Sell! Sell! :)

Winemaker, as I type its crawled back to $100.00 even..Hurry quick...Sell! Sell! :)

Yeah, I put another buy order in last night at $99.90 and it opened higher today, but they also announced the divvy today so it most likely caused a bump.

And you know that I'm a buy and hold guy, so even if it really pops, I'll have it to 2031. I don't have the patience to be a trader.

Yeah, I put another buy order in last night at $99.90 and it opened higher today, but they also announced the divvy today so it most likely caused a bump.

And you know that I'm a buy and hold guy, so even if it really pops, I'll have it to 2031. I don't have the patience to be a trader.

I have played with this one some, but I will always have at least 25k in this one..The terms and payout are too good. Now if QVC starts going into the crapper I will need to reconsider the plan!

I'm a few days late with this, but here are my current holdings......

CHCSM
CHSCL
CNLPL
CNTHP
AILLL
SLMNP
MNR-C
SPLP-A

Any thoughts?

It was up to $100.43 today!:dance: Now, for each lot, I'm up $45, now that's my entry point for a decent red wine, if I would ever have the urge to buy one.

Winemaker.....think about this....just annualize the % gain you just made over the short period of holding. I'll bet it's pretty high! That alone should be the driving force for the sale of the stock and then the expensive wine is totally justified!

It was up to $100.43 today!:dance: Now, for each lot, I'm up $45, now that's my entry point for a decent red wine, if I would ever have the urge to buy one.

Bought QRTEP at around the same time as Winemaker; paid $99.98. Doubled my holding.

Rising rates doing some gut punches to my portfolio. At least the income stream is not affected. :(

Last edited:
Winemaker.....think about this....just annualize the % gain you just made over the short period of holding. I'll bet it's pretty high! That alone should be the driving force for the sale of the stock and then the expensive wine is totally justified!

I like your way of thinking, aja! Any justification to BTD on wine/booze is right up my alley!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom