Prescription reading glasses or progressive computer glasses?

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been wearing progressive eyeglasses for well over 20 years. While they work well for distances and driving, they are a compromise with computer monitors and reading books/eBooks. Choosing a frame with a taller and wider lens area didn't help all that much.

Lately, I've been finding myself wanting to read for enjoyment more. I have been leaning toward getting a pair of prescription reading glasses. OTC won't work because one eye is weaker than the other, and with my +2.00 ADD on the progressives (left: +3.50 total; right: +4.50 total) means that nearly all OTC won't be strong enough.

But I wonder if I might be better off with progressive computer glasses. I can sit a lot of the day at a computer screen doing various tasks, although there are some days because of the constant shifting of my neck and refocusing where it can be quite fatiguing.

Does anyone use progressive computer glasses for reading? I get that there are various types of computer glasses with different focusing distances. Some concentrate in the 3 foot range, which is usually for a monitor or reading. Others are in the 5-6 foot range, which generally covers the desk area, and still others that extend to 10-13 feet which would be useful in a conference room and table.

Last edited:
Before I had cataract surgery I had 2 pairs of gasses.

I had prescription reading glasses. These were fairly large and I could see well with them whenever I needed to read.

I had progressive computer glasses. The upper part of the glasses as for the computer. I measured the distance from my eye to each monitor that I use (I have 3) and gave that info to my optomestrist. The bottom part of the progressive glasses was for reading. It had the same prescription as my standalone reading glasses.

This worked well for me. Quite often when I used my computer I would need to glance down at something on my desk. This was particularly true when I was working with documents (I scan in all documents) or if I wanted to look up something in a document or in my iPhone and then needed to return to the computer. So this was great to me. I don't know what you mean about the differing focusing ranges. Well, I know what you mean. But I didn't look at it that way. I measured my actual distance to my computer and the lenses were done to accomodate that distance in the top. Then the bottom was for reading. Simple.

However for extended reading, not at my computer, I typically used my standalone reading glasses.

Oh one more thing. If you look on line you can buy non-prescription reading glasses where one eye has a particular power and the other has a different power.

Progressives have gotten much better over the past 20 years. The focus width has been greatly expanded, so the entire width of the monitor is in focus if you stare at the middle of the screen. I suggest getting a new eye exam and tell the technician all your requirements, including your monitor size and distance from your eyes to the screen..

I have the same issues with progressive bifocals. I mostly wear contact lenses for distance (somehow I've aged out of multi-focal RGP lenses) with cheaters for close-up.

When I don't have my contacts in - which is almost always, at home - I wear prescription readers from Zenni. I also got a pair with extra magnification for very fine work, such as needlework.

Progressives have gotten much better over the past 20 years. The focus width has been greatly expanded, so the entire width of the monitor is in focus if you stare at the middle of the screen. I suggest getting a new eye exam and tell the technician all your requirements, including your monitor size and distance from your eyes to the screen..

My progressives have *not* worked well for computer distances. Currently using OTC readers for computer work and my eyes and neck feel much better. I also found that car gauges and radio, etc. are at the same distance as a computer (in general) but progressives work fine because you only scan your gauges and radio occasionally.

But I wonder if I might be better off with progressive computer glasses. I can sit a lot of the day at a computer screen doing various tasks, although there are some days because of the constant shifting of my neck and refocusing where it can be quite fatiguing.

Does anyone use progressive computer glasses for reading? I get that there are various types of computer glasses with different focusing distances. Some concentrate in the 3 foot range, which is usually for a monitor or reading. Others are in the 5-6 foot range, which generally covers the desk area, and still others that extend to 10-13 feet which would be useful in a conference room and table.

You would be much better off with progressive computer lenses. For both computer use and reading. No more tilting your head back to see the computer screen with regular progressives. And they work just like readers for reading with the bonus that you can see things 6 to 8 feet away in focus as well.

If you've never bought from an online eyeglass company, now would be a perfect time to do it. I really like Zenni Optical, as do many others here. They make ordering computer progressives super easy with their progressive lens options. For computer glasses you select the frame you want and when you get to the point to selecting the lens option you enter your normal prescription but you select the "Mid-Progressive" lens option. This makes getting the computer progressive lenses an automatic process--no manual calculations required on your normal prescription numbers to get the computer lens prescription dialed in.

Zenni does the calculations for the computer vision part of the progressive prescription behind the scenes and the reading part of the prescription (the +ADD portion) doesn't change.

My eyeglasses prescription changes at least once per year. Since my +ADD value doesn't change I'm currently using my previous set of computer progressives as my reading glasses when I read in bed.

You would be much better off with progressive computer lenses. For both computer use and reading. No more tilting your head back to see the computer screen with regular progressives. And they work just like readers for reading with the bonus that you can see things 6 to 8 feet away in focus as well.
My concern with any progressive lenses was having a reading area that would be similar to what I have now, albeit with a bit wider field in focus. I'm constantly having to move my head to get words in a sentence in focus while reading a novel.

Hand me a container with fine print and need to make out the words? Not a problem. That tells me the prescription for reading distance is fine. It's similar to what dixonge mentioned with regards to reading car gauges and the radio. Reading a novel is far more of a challenge.

I've been looking at Zenni's website. Your suggestion to enter in my latest prescription as is is different than the suggestions I've read previously for computer glasses. They mention halving the ADD and adding that to the distance vision (OD/OS), while leaving the other half for the new ADD. I also don't recall seeing a "Mid-Progressive" lens option with Zenni. I'll need to take a look again.

Edit: I see two options: "Mid-Range", which has vision up to 14', and "Near-Range", which has vision up to 3'. I'm surprised I didn't see an option in between those two, say 5-6'. And as expected, Zenni is recommending their 1.67 Hi-Index lenses given my vision. +$80.95 for this option.

Last edited:
My concern with any progressive lenses was having a reading area that would be similar to what I have now, albeit with a bit wider field in focus. I'm constantly having to move my head to get words in a sentence in focus while reading a novel.

Here are the relative sizes of the two segments in the Zenni near-progressive (reading) and mid-progressive (computer) lens options.

Zenni-Progressive-Options.jpg

Hand me a container with fine print and need to make out the words? Not a problem. That tells me the prescription for reading distance is fine. It's similar to what dixonge mentioned with regards to reading car gauges and the radio. Reading a novel is far more of a challenge.

Yes, and here is the reason why. Here are the relative sizes of the Zenni regular progressive lens segments.

Zenni-Progressives.jpg

Compare the sizes of the reading portion of the lenses. There is a bit more with the mid-range progressive vs. the regular progressive lenses.

I've been looking at Zenni's website. Your suggestion to enter in my latest prescription as is is different than the suggestions I've read previously for computer glasses. They mention halving the ADD and adding that to the distance vision (OD/OS), while leaving the other half for the new ADD.

Yes, previously I've had my optometrist do the calculations for me, or else I've done them myself. The results have been pretty good. But since I've been simply ordering the Zenni mid-progressive option for computer/reading they've given excellent results.

I also don't recall seeing a "Mid-Progressive" lens option with Zenni. I'll need to take a look again.

https://www.zennioptical.com/progressive-lenses

Edit: I see two options: "Mid-Range", which has vision up to 14', and "Near-Range", which has vision up to 3'. I'm surprised I didn't see an option in between those two, say 5-6'. And as expected, Zenni is recommending their 1.67 Hi-Index lenses given my vision. +$80.95 for this option.

Yes, since your prescription has a relatively high correction factor, they recommend the hi-index lenses as they will be more lightweight and more comfortable. You don't need to order them, you could order a 1.51 or 1.57 lens, they will be thicker and heavier, but if you are going to use them at home, who cares?

You could spend an additional $15.00 and get the wider corridor progressive lens option. That will get you a bit more surface area for the reading portion of the progressive lens.

BTW, here's my go-to computer glasses frame:

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/tr-square-eyeglass-frames/1279?skuId=127923

These have a relatively tall lens area, better for progressives. Relatively lightweight. Durable plastic, which is excellent for frequently removing and placing on your reading or computer table. I also appreciate the longer temple arm length. Of course, you need to make sure any frame you buy fits your face properly.

I have been using progressive lenses for decades and have also tried progressive computer glasses, but even with those, I still have to tilt my head back to read the computer monitor or laptop screen. My solution have been to convert my prescription to single vision computer glasses. I add 1.75 to the sphere and use the same cylinder and axis. This is good about 1.5 to 2 feet from the monitor. I buy these for less than $20 at Zenni.com .

I have been using progressive lenses for decades and have also tried progressive computer glasses, but even with those, I still have to tilt my head back to read the computer monitor or laptop screen. My solution have been to convert my prescription to single vision computer glasses. I add 1.75 to the sphere and use the same cylinder and axis. This is good about 1.5 to 2 feet from the monitor. I buy these for less than $20 at Zenni.com .

Yup - using a progressive style on computer just doesn't work for me at all - I spend many hours on-screen. I use a dedicated pair designed just for laptop/desktop; a dedicated pair for reading; and a third when I'm out (traditional progressives)

To me, progressive lenses are for situations where I need focus at variable distances. This is not the case for computer or reading glasses. So I buy single vision: a couple of mid/computer distance for my home office and lake-home office, and reading glasses for my recliner chairs at home and lake home plus one reading set to carry in my travel luggage kit. Much cheaper and actually easier to use than progressives.

I am not much of a fashionista so I buy the Zenni or others' twofer $25 sale frames when possible. Predominantly black frames for the reading prescriptions and predominantly brown frames for the mid-distance.

I only read on kindle generally so I can adjust text size and no glasses. IDK if that would work for you.

I only read on kindle generally so I can adjust text size and no glasses. IDK if that would work for you.
Not at all. I need +3.50 to +4.50 total reading correction. Middle-aged eyes suck.

Not at all. I need +3.50 to +4.50 total reading correction. Middle-aged eyes suck.

LOL my eyes suck too just apparently in a different direction. The whole idea of moving my head all over to see just isn't going to happen. I will be 2-3 pairs of cheap single vision if i get to that point (I haven't yet). That may sound demented to some of you but I have bad disks in my neck it doesn't really like to do "whatever". . . .

To me, progressive lenses are for situations where I need focus at variable distances. This is not the case for computer or reading glasses. So I buy single vision: a couple of mid/computer distance for my home office and lake-home office, and reading glasses for my recliner chairs at home and lake home plus one reading set to carry in my travel luggage kit. Much cheaper and actually easier to use than progressives.
How well do the single vision mid/computer distance glasses work for reading at the desk (notes, reference books, etc.)?

For some, OTC readers work just fine, but given my vision, I have to go with prescription glasses for reading. Those aren't cheap because of the Hi-Index lens cost. It's the main reason I am considering prescription computer glasses, since I already have the extra cost for the lenses. There would be more options if the total prescription were +3.00 or less.

How well do the single vision mid/computer distance glasses work for reading at the desk (notes, reference books, etc.)?

For some, OTC readers work just fine, but given my vision, I have to go with prescription glasses for reading. Those aren't cheap because of the Hi-Index lens cost. It's the main reason I am considering prescription computer glasses, since I already have the extra cost for the lenses. There would be more options if the total prescription were +3.00 or less.
Single vision computer or reading glasses work very well because the whole field of vision is in focus for your computer screen or reading material without the need to tilt your head.

My wife's progressive prescription has 2.25 and 2.50 for left and right sphere. Adding 1.75 to each equates to 4.00 and 4.25 for sphere in single vision computer glasses. Still cheap at Zenni.com. Use the same cylinder and axis. If you want your eyes farther than 2 feet from the screen, add only 1.5.

I use single vision prescription reading glasses for computer work which I probably spend 60%+ of my workday using. I keep a pair at multiple places at home and one at work. I just swap with my progressives. No neck craning and no disorientation. Single vision glasses can be had very cheaply. I usually buy mine in Japan, Korea or China when I'm there and have a new prescription. Usually between US$20-US$40 max when I get them in Asia.

How well do the single vision mid/computer distance glasses work for reading at the desk (notes, reference books, etc.)? For some, OTC readers work just fine, but given my vision, I have to go with prescription glasses for reading. Those aren't cheap because of the Hi-Index lens cost. It's the main reason I am considering prescription computer glasses, since I already have the extra cost for the lenses. There would be more options if the total prescription were +3.00 or less.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try. Start with my prescription, -3.5 and -6 with an add of 2.75.

I use single-vision glasses for computer screens and reading for the reasons already mentioned. Minimum head and neck movements. Progressives have negative value when I am looking at something that mostly fills my field of view at a constant distance; newspapers, computer screens, magazines, etc.

My single-vision computer glasses prescription is my base prescription plus half of my "add." My reading glasses prescription is my base prescription plus the full amount of the add. Since I am nearsighted, taking off my glasses gives me even more magnification than the add; I find myself doing that more and more as they make the small print smaller and smaller. :LOL:

To answer your question about the computer glasses used for reading they don't work well at all. Best focus is at computer screen distance because that's what they are for. The reading (full add) prescription is for reading.

My last reading glasses with High Index (1.61) material and AR coating were $32.85 from Zenni. I did not take the time to shop other suppliers looking for the twofer $25 deals that always seem to be out there.

My last reading glasses with High Index (1.61) material and AR coating were $32.85 from Zenni. I did not take the time to shop other suppliers looking for the twofer $25 deals that always seem to be out there.
For single-vision reading, I need +4.50 for my right eye (+3.50 for the left eye). It appears the 1.67 High-Index are satisfactory (RX range up to +4.75) and cost $14 more than the 1.61. But Zenni is recommending the 1.74 High-Index, which are an additional $41 over 1.67.

When I enter for single-vision computer, I need +3.50 and +2.50. Zenni recommends the 1.67 for those. I am not sure whether the recommendations are based on being able to fill the prescription satisfactorily, or if going with a lower High-Index lens produces a lens too thick or heavy.

I apologize if it sounds like I am going in circles on this. I have never looked all that closely at my prescription, as I have never ordered glasses online. But I am beginning to understand why the optometrists in the past needed to go with the more expensive progressive lenses given my prescription, which hasn't changed much in the past decade or so.

Last edited:
... I am not sure whether the recommendations are based on being able to fill the prescription satisfactorily, or if going with a lower High-Index lens produces a lens too thick or heavy. ...
IMO you are making this waaay too difficult. Make your best guess, place the order, and see how it works out -- what you learn. Worst case, but unlikely, you throw those glasses out. That's the cost of tuition as you learn. But much more likely you'll end up with a perfectly usable pair of glasses, maybe with some tweeks planned for next order. You're not getting married here, and the money is a pittance.

I have never looked all that closely at my prescription, as I have never ordered glasses online. But I am beginning to understand why the optometrists in the past needed to go with the more expensive progressive lenses given my prescription, which hasn't changed much in the past decade or so.

Do you have a costco near you? If you don't like the lenses, they will change them and refund you the difference. I got progressives in regular glasses, could not adjust to them. Had them changed back to a basic scrip, no complaints, no worries, money back.

statsman said:
.. I am not sure whether the recommendations are based on being able to fill the prescription satisfactorily, or if going with a lower High-Index lens produces a lens too thick or heavy.

You could call their 800# and ask them why they recommend a high index lens for your prescription. I'm almost certain the answer will be because of thickness and weight and not because they couldn't fill the prescription correctly with a 1.57 or 1.61 index lens.

IMO you are making this waaay too difficult. Make your best guess, place the order, and see how it works out -- what you learn. Worst case, but unlikely, you throw those glasses out.

Nope, you will get 100% credit from Zenni for another pair if you return them within 30 days. You will pay $4 or $5 for return shipping, but that should be all.

I understand the hesitancy but once you get the knowledge of how the Zenni experience works, it's worth it.

Your glasses for computer use should not be progressive at all. You don't need to look far away and you should be able to read at the same distance throughout the lens. I have had progressive lenses for about 15 years and have updated my computer/music glasses once, when the other wore out. They are about one diopter less correction than my distance glasses, nonprogressive.

Your glasses for computer use should not be progressive at all. You don't need to look far away and you should be able to read at the same distance throughout the lens.

Well, I disagree. Maybe it's my prescription, which is not too radical, but for my purposes I find progressives with the mid-range option ideal.

When I sit at my computer my eyes are approximately 29" away from my 23" monitor. I frequently have paperwork in my lap that I need to look down at and then enter data into databases. I'm constantly looking at printed material close up and then looking at my computer screen a bit further away. Progressives are perfect for this application.

I can also lean back in my desk chair which positions me approximately 48" away from the screen and yet I can still read it, and I can look at paperwork I'm holding in my hand and read it clearly. For computer use, progressives work for me.

Back
Top Bottom