Prince Harry stays home

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
“I have decided today that Prince Harry will not deploy as a troop leader with his squadron,” Gen. Sir Richard Dannatt, the Army chief of staff, said in a statement. “There have been a number of specific threats — some reported and some not reported — which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual.”

Translation" Sorry chaps, Iraq's a bit too dangerous to send our Prince but you go on and do your duty to England, we're right behind you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/world/europe/16cnd-harry.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

SoonToRetire said:
“I have decided today that Prince Harry will not deploy as a troop leader with his squadron,” Gen. Sir Richard Dannatt, the Army chief of staff, said in a statement. “There have been a number of specific threats — some reported and some not reported — which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual.”
Translation" Sorry chaps, Iraq's a bit too dangerous to send our Prince but you go on and do your duty to England, we're right behind you.
Military translation: "The guy's a liability with huge target circles painted fore & aft. We'd spend more time protecting Prince Harry than doing our jobs. None of the troops would be stupid fearless enough to go out on patrol with him knowing that he'd be the region's biggest IED & RPG magnet. Everyone here would rather go quail hunting with Dick Cheney."

Inspiration: "Hey, do we have anyone on liaison duty with the American War Czar?"

I suppose that none of us should be too surprised by this decision. I've been wondering how many of his unit were going to be killed in a concentrated effort to kill or capture Harry. So much attention and time was going to have to be spent on simply protecting the young man that the mission of his unit was going to become secondary, I'm thinking.

Nords said:
Military translation: "The guy's a liability with huge target circles painted fore & aft.

You mean the Brits might not be able to protect the good Prince the way they protected those sailors who boarded the Iranian vessel? But the Prince might get a new polyester suit out of the deal.

A good decision on the part of the UK. He would have been a liability, and that's no fault of his. I think they'll find a way for him to contribute nonetheless, hopefuly it will be publicized after the fact.

Back
Top Bottom