Question about Consumer Reports Oct 2014 IRA blurb

Ronnieboy

Full time employment: Posting here.
On Page 9 of the most recent Consumer Reports (10/14) there is an article titled "New tax rules limit your IRA rollovers."

I am not sure I am understanding it correctly, is states that you can only do one rollover per year starting in 2015. I am thinking the key words are "non-taxable" rollover.

My wife and I are still in accumulation and make too much for the direct Roth contribution, so we put in $916 per month in a non deductible traditional IRA then immediately (over two days or so) roll it into the Roth, resulting in approx 12 'rollovers' per year. Now I am wondering if we are going to have to wait till we have the full amount and do it once per account per year. But it's after tax monies so I am hoping the newly defined rules do not apply.

Has anyone else read this article? Am I on the right track :confused:

You won't need to change as it does not apply to trustee-to-trustee transfers.

IRA One-Rollover-Per-Year Rule

Beginning as early as January 1, 2015, you can make only one rollover from an IRA to another (or the same) IRA in any 12-month period, regardless of the number of IRAs you own (Announcement 2014-15). You can, however, continue to make as many trustee-to-trustee transfers between IRAs as you want. You can also make as many rollovers from traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs ("conversions") as you want.
(emphasis added)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom