Question for Gardeners

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm wanting to plant some asparagus and wondering if anyone ever has planted the actual plant from a nursery? Is planting the crown/roots you can buy a better way to go?
I have always just picked wild asparagus we have and never have grown it. I did transplant some crowns, but the wildlife dug them up.

I can get plants and the leafy plant is about 8 inches tall.

I never heard of buying plants, buying the crowns is what I was aware of. Asparagus is one of a handful of things I never grew. They have nice lacy foliage come late Summer with colorful berries on them. Needless to say, if you do grow it you need a dedicated plot.

I never heard of buying plants, buying the crowns is what I was aware of. Asparagus is one of a handful of things I never grew. They have nice lacy foliage come late Summer with colorful berries on them. Needless to say, if you do grow it you need a dedicated plot.

I'm familiar with crowns but a nursery here has the plants with leaf/foliage just like what you see when it grows each spring. It maybe the way to go instead of crowns but not sure.

I will dedicate a spot on some irrigated land where it won't get bothered. I could fence the small area, so wildlife won't destroy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've grown asparagus from the crowns we bought at the big box store. We put it in a big pot by itself. It hasn't got very large yet (couple years) but has been transplanted a couple times. It's relatively low maintenance, but does need a dedicated space to winter over. Hopefully ours starts to fill out this year.

We grow a fair amount of asparagus. Like most people, we ordered year old crowns to get started. We grow Jersey Knights. Many growers will tell you they are sending all male plants (which spend their time making fat asparagus spears instead of diverting energy into producing fruit like the female plants).

You plant them in a trench with the roots splayed out. For the first two years, you should just let them all grow. The third year after planting, you can starting cutting them for eating as they come up in the spring. Cut the ones that are at least the size of your little finger. After about 6 weeks, don't cut any more and let them grow out. In the late fall, cut the dead foliage down to ground level, put down some fertilizer and cover them with some straw. They'll just come up right through it the next year. Weed them well, as they don't like competition.

Even though the grower promised all male plants, they were not, in fact, all male. We have two female plants, so they set fruit - little red berries. Two years ago, I tried an experiment. I collected the seeds from them at the end of the season. Last spring, I started those seeds indoors and they germinated. I put the seedlings out to my garden in a new spot, where they grew. They survived the winter and are coming up again this spring. With them, it will probably take four seasons to get edible asparagus instead of three, but it was cool to see that you can actually grow asparagus from seed.

Last edited:
Strangely reminds me of Dragnet episode 42 where burnout kids are getting ready to bail and hide in a commune they are starting.

Joe Friday holds up a packet of asparagus seeds he found in their stuff and asks if they'll be growing these for next summer. Burnout answers "yeah man, asparagus is cool.". Joe barks back at them "You'll starve. Asparagus takes two years ".

He then goes on a 10 minute monologue lecture/rant.

Interesting that even Joe was optimistic at two years. I know very few people who try it because of the time investment. I'm not sure it does too well in Southern heat either.

Last edited:
We grow a fair amount of asparagus. Like most people, we ordered year old crowns to get started. We grow Jersey Knights. Many growers will tell you they are sending all male plants (which spend their time making fat asparagus spears instead of diverting energy into producing fruit like the female plants).

You plant them in a trench with the roots splayed out. For the first two years, you should just let them all grow. The third year after planting, you can starting cutting them for eating as they come up in the spring. Cut the ones that are at least the size of your little finger. After about 6 weeks, don't cut any more and let them grow out. In the late fall, cut the dead foliage down to ground level, put down some fertilizer and cover them with some straw. They'll just come up right through it the next year. Weed them well, as they don't like competition.

Even though the grower promised all male plants, they were not, in fact, all male. We have two female plants, so they set fruit - little red berries. Two years ago, I tried an experiment. I collected the seeds from them at the end of the season. Last spring, I started those seeds indoors and they germinated. I put the seedlings out to my garden in a new spot, where they grew. They survived the winter and are coming up again this spring. With them, it will probably take four seasons to get edible asparagus instead of three, but it was cool to see that you can actually grow asparagus from seed.

Interesting!!
One year I collected the red berries just before wintah. I never did plant them but I knew you could start them from seed.
I need to get a patch going if it takes that long to get a harvest. At my age there is always urgency in mind to get things done now.

Last edited by a moderator:
they love water. We did not plant them so much as harvest what spread along the overflow channels from the irrigation system. I'd cut spears as fat as my thumb and not much longer, and we harvested pretty late into the year with no ill effect to the plants.
We did cultivate rhubarb in the same areas.

One other thing - make sure that you put them in a place you expect them to stay, because once they get established they have deep, strong roots and are a real bear to dig up if you want to move them.

I tried to grow from seed a few years back. They took, but they are serious about not liking any weeds, so they are a bit of work to maintain. Eventually they gave up before they got harvestable, but hung on for a good few years.

Asparagus are amazing how quickly they grow. You'll see the crown just poke through the ground in the morning and almost ready to pick in the afternoon. BTW mine never made it to the house, I'd just pick and eat right out of the garden.

100+ to what Gumby said. I planted seeds in 1985 in my garden then, and transplanted the roots in 1991 when we moved. They grew there for another 15 years, then they all died. I have been unsuccessful about 5 times, to grow asparagus again. I've tried seeds and crowns, and will try again.

Timely thread. This is the first year I planted asparagus crowns from my Home Depot store in my garden. Though they looked like lifeless roots, every one of them put up spears. I sent a photo to my DB in Southern Cal, and inspired he ordered 10 3-year crowns by mail order. They sent 12 crowns, and every single one grew. So, apparently crowns are hardier than I thought. Never saw live plants in the nursery. Just thought it was easier to plant crowns.

We grew Asparagus for about 10 years. Planted using crowns. I love eating it straight from the garden. It is a pain to keep weeded. We usually picked it for about 4 weeks and then let them grow to feed the roots for next year. That is the problem. Although they grow pretty thick and shade out a lot of weeds it is hard to weed once you let them go. In Central Texas they sometimes never freeze, so you have to cut them back and mulch heavily for the Spring.They seem to almost grow overnight. Be sure and plant the crowns about 2-3 ft. apart because the crowns will grow together pretty fast. My favorite is grilled Asparagus - quick and easy. But boiled a little butter and salt is damn good.

My favorite is out of the can, cold with a little lemon juice.

My dad planted asparagus one year. For years thereafter, all the fence rows had volunteer asparagus. No weeding, no feeding, no nothing. Just asparagus everywhere. Then it just all disappeared one year. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom