Question regarding ACA application technicality

MrLoco

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all. A question for those of you who have already applied online for one of the ACA policies in your home state.

A little background. I am retired but under age 65. My wife will resign from her job come jan. 1, 2016. Now we are under her healthcare plan thru her employer. We live in a state with it's own healthcare exchange. On Dec. 1 ( the earliest I am able) , I will apply for one of the silver plans online.

My question is that when I apply one of the questions is " Are you currently covered under a healthcare plan at work"? Well, technically We are but when she resigns on JAn. 2 next year we will not be. So, just answer No:confused: Also, it asks if you or your spouse is currently employed. Again, at the time of the application; Yes....but not in 30 days. Assuming best to answer as if no one is employed or has coverage thru work at the time one is applying?

I have tried to call the number of the healthcare exchange for my state but forget it. Hold times are measured in hours. Thanks for any guidance.

Does her coverage end of Jan 2nd? Or does it run for the month of January. This can vary by employer.

Losing employment is a qualifying event so you *could* sign up when she retires... but I understand wanting to sign up ahead of time.

One option would be to buy through a broker that will enter the info for an exchange policy. They, theoretically, will know how to enter the data for a qualifying event very close to the start of the calendar year.

Back
Top Bottom