Quiz and Article on Happiness

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Thought this short quiz and article on happiness was interesting:

Here's the short quiz:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=4114608&page=1

I got 4.75, which is average. Better than I would have done when I was working, but still room for improvement (not surprising---retired people have an average of 5.6).

The article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=4115033&page=1

Highlights that I found interesting were:

* antidepressants can minimize negative emotions, but not cause happiness to occur (aha! This is why I didn't think AD did all that much for me.)
* 50% of our happiness can be traced to our genes, 40% can be controlled through daily thoughts and actions, 10% to life circumstances (where we live, marital status, how we look, how much money we have)
* hedonic adaptation means that after a while, we adapt to what originally brought us happiness, like improved looks or increased money---and then doesn't do as much for us
* by studying Buddhist monks, it was found that changes in the brain occurred within two weeks with half an hour of thinking about kindness and compassion

I haven't taken the test but I suspect that I would score on the lower side.

One thing I found helps my mood is exercise - being active. Just today my wife and I went hiking on a trail we discovered. It was a hell of a lot better than my normal routine of being a couch potato. It really helped improve my mood.

5.6 here! First couple of years in retirement would have been lower. I had a difficult time moving away from family even though we spent a total of 2 to 3 months visiting them each year. Still didn't make me feel any better about leaving the g-kids (6 mo and 1 yr at our retirement). Now, 12 yr into retirement, we spend the month of Dec with family (hectic!) and some vacations (much more laid back), plus cell phone, e-mail and IM keep me in touch enough to make me happy. New friends can be found around most corners.

The g-kids getting older and able to call, e-mail or IM made a hugh increase in my "happy meter", but I think that the biggest change was in me. There were always friends to be found around every corner, but I started taking the time to cultivate them...even in the somewhat transient lifestyle we have chosen. Plus, I like being around DH 24/7. When I need some space, I pack him a lunch and ask him to be home by dinner. He's come to understand that I am a happier camper if I have some "alone" time occasionally, and once or twice he's been perceptive enough to ask if I need to "pack him a lunch". Life is good!;)

Thanks for posting this--I forwarded the links to my kids. One called and laughed at me, since he is and always has been truly the happiest person in our family. The other one is probably upset about it :)

Hmm. I scored a 6, and I'm not even retired yet.

Imagine how high I will score after ER. :D

i'm a 5.75, not bad considering all the gloom in my life. fortunately i don't take myself seriously.

A 6 for me too. Getting better every day.

magnet1.jpg

5.5 for me. I'm much happier since I retired last November! I can't imagine what it would be if I was working! I also make a point of working out at the gym 3 days a week and a walk around the lake 3 days w/stationary bike thrown in for good measure. I think my eating habits have improved plus lots of water. All that helps plus the lack of "bad" stress from work!

Geez, guys, I may kvetch & grumble at times but I'm mostly 7s. I gave myself a six on one question because the surf was really really cold today...

This was way too simplistic a quiz. I haven't even had my daily (purely medicinal) 2 (ok maybe 3) fingers of my favorite beverage. I can't believe that I am so pollyanna-ish. I scored a 7. Go figure.:rolleyes:
oh - FIREd 6 months and counting.

Yeah, I scored a 6.25. I retired in 06/06 and I find myself thanking God several times a week that I am able to be retired. It also doesn't hurt that I am leaving Thursday to drive to FL to go on a 8 day cruise with 4 of the girlfriends and my sister. Also, I am going to be a grandmother for the first time in 07/08 and I just heard my grandbaby's heartbeat for the first time last week! Life is really good right now!

Hey, I coulda scored 7 too but I have a policy of never clicking on boxes in the far extremes of a scale. :duh:

5.75, so I am going to work on becoming happier than that. I want to be a 7, too!

Back
Top Bottom