Reasonable hotel or inn in Savannah historic district?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
Wife and I are planning on visiting Savannah this Spring. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced nice hotel or inn in the historic district? Thanks!

Last spring we stayed at the Hampton Inn-Historic district. Great location in the middle of everything and nice building.

Nothing is really inexpensive down there but this seemed like a good value.

We found a room not facing Bay Street was quiet.

Wife and I are planning on visiting Savannah this Spring. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced nice hotel or inn in the historic district? Thanks!
Will you not consider an AirBnB or VRBO? If we were planning that trip that's the first place we would look. We consider it to be a significant failure if we have to lodge in an anonymous pile of identical boxes.

FWIW, our technique is to sort by most expensive first, skip over the mansions and look for a stand-alone condo or cottage, private bath, and available parking. Usually there are plenty of options.

Hello from Savannah. Looking for hotels that are reasonable is a debatable subject

. But, my favorites are Perry Lane (nice rooftop) Kimpton Brice, Thompson, Desoto (nice rooftop) The Mansion, and Hyatt. The waterfront (Riverstreet) has just undergone a new expansion with several new hotels (all are good). As was mentioned earlier there are many VRBO's available and are normally older historic homes in the tourist area (downtown). As an alternative google LuckySavannah which is the largest local VRBO (family owned) type operator in the city. (ask for Corey or email him at corey@luckysavannah.com).

He has no idea who Franklin is!!

Enjoy your trip, the city is wide open.

About ten years ago when saving for retirement, I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott between MLK and Montgomery Street, the western edge of the Historic District, because it was reasonably priced and near the Savannah Trolley Tour. It was adequate although a little isolated. There are several good chain hotels along those streets but not a lot of ambience. Anything west of MLK is getting into downtown and may be sketchy.

If I had been less concerned about saving, my preference would have been farther north towards the river or farther east near East Bay Street and East River Street: for example Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn-Historic District, East Bay Inn, Planters Inn, The Marshall House, or River Street Inn although hotels on East Bay Inn or River Street might be noisy at night as there are lots of bars and restaurants. South of Broughton Street, as I recall, is quieter and residential with great ambience although farther from the action. There is a free DOT bus in the historic district that makes a loop between Whitaker, Bryan, Drayton, and Forsyth Park and runs until 7 pm if parking or excessive walking is a concern.

Last edited:
On a couple of trips to Savannah I stayed at Jones on Jones, a nice B&B in the historic district. I don't know if it survived the Pandemic. If not, I would look for an Air B&B in the historic district.

Last spring we stayed at the Hampton Inn-Historic district. Great location in the middle of everything and nice building.

Nothing is really inexpensive down there but this seemed like a good value.

We found a room not facing Bay Street was quiet.

Did the same at the Hampton. Good solid mid priced hotel, which includes a buffet breakfast.

Hampton lists two of their locations as "Historic District". Make sure to book the one on Bay Street. We stayed at Staybridge Suites (also on Bay St.) last month because we wanted a kitchen. Both recommended.

We like the Marshall House or the hundreds of vacation rental properties in the historic district.

Back
Top Bottom