Recommendation for Tipping Movers?

mitchjav

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi All - moving in about 2 weeks and wanting to know what everyone feels is appropriate amount for tipping the movers (if they do a good job). Also, moving company is coming in 2 days ahead of time to pack up the kitchen for us (we're doing the rest of the house). Should we tip separately for that?

I would say it depends on the amount of work; the size of the room(s), the amount of stuff, whether you make any special requests, and how breakable the stuff is. But for my house, I'd guesstimate that I would aim for $20-50 for the kitchen, and $60-100 or so after unloading for all of them. After all, if there are 10 of them, they should be done quickly, but if there are only 2, it will be a lot more work for each.

If each day of the move involves a different crew, I tip that day. Hoping the first crew informs the second crew that this residence tips, you may get even better service the second time around. In your instance, packers may not be the same team loading or unloading.
I tip $5 an hour per person. Half a day is $20 and full day is $40.

Now I got a question for you; how much to tip a white glove delivery? I am having a new fridge delivered. They will move the old fridge to the garage for me as well. The fridges will require being brought in the back doors since they are french doors, 60" opening and a fridge is quite a bit larger than any other possible access. Maybe 200' from driveway to kitchen this route. I'm thinking $10 each for 2 guys?

We recently moved from a 2 story to a 3 story house. We don't have tons of stuff at all (movers were shocked at how little). It took just a few hours to complete the move, and I tipped each mover $100 because they were careful and did a great job despite multiple flights of stairs on both ends. So it was a $300 tip total. I've always tipped more for than normal for any delivery if stairs are involved. And with something like a move, I don't base the tip amount as a percent of the moving company fees. I try to tip about $20 an hour to each mover. And skipro33, I personally also tip a minimum of $20 per person for items that are white glove delivered, though I might not do that much if stairs weren't involved.

Military moves I tip 20 or 25 per person plus I buy and bring back lunch. Typically 2 crews: pack crew. Move crew. And then a move crew on the other end. I give them expectations up front and tell them im doing lunch and there will be cash tips for good treatment of my stuff and house.

If each day of the move involves a different crew, I tip that day. Hoping the first crew informs the second crew that this residence tips, you may get even better service the second time around. In your instance, packers may not be the same team loading or unloading.

I tip $5 an hour per person. Half a day is $20 and full day is $40.

Now I got a question for you; how much to tip a white glove delivery? I am having a new fridge delivered. They will move the old fridge to the garage for me as well. The fridges will require being brought in the back doors since they are french doors, 60" opening and a fridge is quite a bit larger than any other possible access. Maybe 200' from driveway to kitchen this route. I'm thinking $10 each for 2 guys?
Yes agree with 10 each for white glove delivery.

Just curious. Since when did movers become a tipped occupation? I know, they probably are only getting [-]minimum wage[/-] what the market will bear (and that tends to be more than minimum wage, in most places). But they are not tipped based workers, who make far less than minimum.

That said, I will on occasion, tip a service person for fantastic service. I almost did that when we had a dishwasher installed, until he said he was the owner of the company and had 13 trucks on the road all the time, and business was great.

As far as tipped based workers, I give 20% minimum, and up to 50% for a low priced lunch special.

When I moved in here from my prior home (3 miles away), I used a local moving company. Their movers are all Firemen, picking up some extra money by doing this during their time off. So they aren't poor, but they did a good job and I wanted to tip them.

The moving charge was $810 and that included $135 for the truck plus $135/hour.

After inquiring as to their preference in cold drinks on that hot July day, I spent $10 on GatorAde and Sprite for them. There were three movers and a foreman and they took 5 hours including over an hour to cool off with the cold Gatorade and ice, and a half hour to wait out a thunderstorm. As they left I gave the foreman four $20 bills, one for each.

They seemed to think that was reasonable. They could probably tell from my stuff that I am not ultra-wealthy.
Just curious. Since when did movers become a tipped occupation? I know, they probably are only getting [-]minimum wage[/-] what the market will bear (and that tends to be more than minimum wage, in most places). But they are not tipped based workers, who make far less than minimum.
I don't know! Actually I didn't really know whether to tip them or not, but did anyway.

For my move last year I packed everything and unpacked at my destination. All I needed was the two guys to load, unload and drive the truck. They were on per diem with one night stay in a local motel. The amount of time at each location was just under two hours. Nice guys that were efficient. I gave each one $20.

I haven’t tipped for deliveries, but tip our movers pretty well, usually $150-$200 for the lead guy plus $50-$100 for each crew member based on service provided. Plus we always buy them lunch and water/soft drinks. We have used the same company for 7-8 moves over 25 years so there is that.

Our last move we tipped the movers and after they were gone found a couple of damaged items. Not the end of the world and they did work hard, but still annoying.

I've tipped the window washers, the dudes who brought my mom her new washer, even one time the pest control guys. I was sharing the stimulus money through tips.

We did a whole house move about two years ago. Tipped the packers, loaders (separate crews/days) on the front end and the unloaders at our new house. I bought lunch for and tipped the four guys who unloaded us $200 ($50 each) only because they didn't break anything or damage the house moving furniture around (other than one easily repairable little ding in the laundry room). Don't remember what I tipped on the front end, $20 to $50 each I'm sure. To our great surprise, only 1 item broke in the move, we'd been warned to expect more breakage no matter how careful the moving crews are. Good luck.

OMG! Tipping culture in the US is out of control . . .
Agree to disagree. The difference between a job well done and poorly done comes down to the care and effort the worker puts in, and I don't have any problem kicking in a little something extra for extra effort. Nor do I have a problem with no tip when it's clear the worker doesn't give a @#&*. If tipping was outlawed, I don't believe for a minute that we'd get the same level of effort from everyone. I lived in Europe for four years, and the service isn't the same as it can be here. Human nature. YMMV

And you don't have to tip...

Sometimes I make it clear there's a tip on the line beforehand, but tipping is usually an after the fact pay it forward act.

Last edited:
If tipping is expected (everywhere) it becomes a negative force.

I mean tip % popping up on pay screens when picking up a loaf of bread at the bakery!

No thanks

I mean tip % popping up on pay screens when picking up a loaf of bread at the bakery!

No thanks
You’re welcome to believe that. And when you’re given an opportunity to tip that you don’t agree with, don’t. If you feel guilty, that’s on you.

You’re welcome to believe that. And when you’re given an opportunity to tip that you don’t agree with, don’t. If you feel guilty, that’s on you.

It is not guilt it is annoyance. Why are they asking in the first place? Do you ask your boss for a tip because you showed up for work? Of course not.

I object to being asked what tip I would like to apply to a loaf of bread purchase when I am the one walking in and picking it up. What service would I be tipping?

What tip would you like to give me for my comment? 0% 10% 20%? It is just annoying to be asked when it has nothing to do with the situation.

phil

No thanks
Agree:
Pizza delivery, absolutely. Picking up a carry out pizza, absolutely not.
Papa Murphy's for instance. Now I order ahead, ask how much the total is, & bring the exact amount of cash.

IMHO, anyone who tips in situations like that is doing nothing more than encouraging the employer to keep wages low.

When I moved to my condo the movers took my 33 boxes and furniture. It only took them a couple of hours and I gave each one 40. It took them longer moving into the condo because of using the elevator.

Hi All - moving in about 2 weeks and wanting to know what everyone feels is appropriate amount for tipping the movers (if they do a good job). Also, moving company is coming in 2 days ahead of time to pack up the kitchen for us (we're doing the rest of the house). Should we tip separately for that?

Need more info. Local v. long distance, did you throw away most crap like you should, etc....

I tend to kick down $20 or more per day worker at a minimum as a nice gesture. However, if it's a long distance move then I would probably kick down the local guys differently than the long distance driver.

Really a lot to the particular situation.

Plus, during our last move I gave them hundreds of dollars of booze. I thus felt less need to give them much cash.

Even the local beer vendor card machine has a tipping option. Why should I tip when I'm picking up a case of beer? :confused:

I don't tip professionals or people who quote a price on a job...movers, contractors, etc. If they're good I'll reward them with more work by recommending them to others. But tipping a mover for carrying boxes? Why? Their job is to carry things and they're not doing anything extra or special when they do that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom