Recommendations for a point and shoot camera with wide angle lens?

MC Rider

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Kodak V705 died today. I guess I got my moneys worth, had it since 2006 and shot tons of pics, about 5,000 in the last year alone. I use it for my w*rk in Real Estate, so many many pics. It is about 4" x 2" x 3/4". Used a normal SD card, and a flat rechargeable battery. KLUC-7001. The thing I really like is it has a wide angle lens and a second zoom lens. The box says 23/39-117 mm Equivalent 5x optical mag, fwiw.

What I want is a wide angle lens and a decent zoom. Wide angle for small bathrooms, and shallow yards, etc. Zoom does not need to be extreme. A small form factor. A normal SD card cuz those micro things are too damn small. A camera that I can point and shoot fast is nice, not a slow focusing thing. I don't normally use hi res, I want small files, so megapixels are not an issue. Don't do video much at all 1080P would be fine. 720 seems weak, no need for 4k. Would be nice to use the same battery since I have a couple, but does not matter much. Zero interest in learning about F stops or any manual settings.

Thinking a little on this Canon, but if you have a suggestion that fits my bill of wants, please let me hear it. Grazi.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B01FFACR50/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1UYXTKSWSQERC&keywords=canon+260sx&qid=1646105185&s=electronics&sprefix=,electronics,129&sr=1-3

Sounds like you would be happy with the exact same camera off eBay. Why not.

A higher price range, but I have been ridiculously happy with my Sony RX100.

DW has been shooting the ZS series Panasonic cameras for years. ZS50, ZS70, etc. All are pretty much the same. Quality is excellent; more than once I have mistaken one of her shots for one from my much more expensive equipment. You will be shocked at the improvement vs your old Kodak. From a quick search it looks like the ZS200 is the most current but it is more expensive than your target.

I'd suggest shopping eBay for older models around your price point, then check the reviews and comparison specs at dpreview.com

MC Rider, how important is low light to you on the point and shoot?

If not important, then you that opens more options and more choices. If important, then narrows the choices down to those that take decent pictures in low light.

It’s hard to beat a new smartphone, for point and shoot work. Many are better than point and shoot cameras.

Sounds like you would be happy with the exact same camera off eBay. Why not.

I only see 2 and they have the same error message as mine. Another place offers to fix it with used parts and a 60 day warranty for $196. LOL.

Would rather get something new or at least recent used, not long obsolete. Looks like that might be a bit hard for under $300.

I appreciate the responses and am going to take my time and shop for it. That Sony sounds OK, not sure about the wide angle shots though.

Sledge O Matic! :LOL:

Instead of don't knock it till you try it, in this case knock it then try it. It may just need some tough love..:D

From above link....

This error is caused due to the failure of lens alignment system.Try following the procedure below..
it may be the lens contacts or grit in the gears
open it up on the side of the lens you will see a row of thin gold coloured contacts that report the lens position back to the cpu sometimes these get dirty or bent.on the side of the lens is a motor, look where the gear meets the lens and use a pin to flip out any grit that is stuck in the teeth.
Its very unlikely the lens is "out of alignment" this just cant happen unless its been dropped or bashed, in which case it may be broken.
Also i have heard some people bashing the camera a couple of times to get it working..
hold the camera and bash the edge next to the lens against the palm of you hand as hard as you can, one I did have to get a little more medieval on and bashed aginst a bit of carpet on the bench.. but it worked... might be worth a go if the next step is the bin...

Thanks so much for your help. I took out the batteries
and memory card, and beat the camera. The camera worked
the first time I turned it on after that. I'm so glad!!!
I definitely need my camera this time of year.
Thanks again, this is was very, very useful help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After not having a camera for 3 months, I bashed away and my camera works. Thanks so much for this solution! I will say I had to hit it much harder than I thought I would! But it works great. Now I don't have to buy a new camera to capture my daughter's first Christmas.

Wow, I am amazed! I just hit my hand against it and it worked. A little noisier than usual, but it works!
Thanks my husband needs it for business and I am the one it jammed up on. You saved the day and maybe my marriage.

THANK YOU!!! I am 12,000 miles from home on a trip and the camera gave me the E45 message. I have been sad all day because Kodak's suggestion to mail it to them was not possible - and - I had only this camera along. It took a few bashes against my hand but it WORKS!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!! I'd buy you a beer (or 6) if you were here!!!!!

. I took out the batteries
and memory card, and beat the camera. The camera worked
the first time I turned it on after that. I'm so glad!!!.........

I saw a bunch of suggestions like that, and other stuff, and tried them with no luck.

Really I am more surprised at how long it lasted with who knows how many 10' of thousands of pics I took since 2006. Got my moneys worth. Am making a list of contenders to think on.

Thanks for the suggestions. :greetings10:
Kind of thinking Olympus Tough TG-4 refurb at $350.
But still thinking.

I saw a bunch of suggestions like that, and other stuff, and tried them with no luck.

Really I am more surprised at how long it lasted with who knows how many 10' of thousands of pics I took since 2006. Got my moneys worth. Am making a list of contenders to think on.

Thanks for the suggestions. :greetings10:
Kind of thinking Olympus Tough TG-4 refurb at $350.
But still thinking.

I have a TG-5. I use it for underwater and macro. For all other shots my I-phone does a better job.

I have a TG-5. I use it for underwater and macro. For all other shots my I-phone does a better job.

Thanks for the input, appreciated. :)

Guess I should not go too cheap. If it holds up to my rate of turning on and off and taking pics it might retire with me.

So as to not leave this hanging unfinished, I have been using an older Canon Powershot A720 IS that DW had laying around not being used. I miss the side angle lens of the Kodak, but it is doing the job, and all I had to spend was $4 for a card of coin batteries. It uses one to keep the date and time. Uses 2 AA to run the camera. I think I will just keep using it for now, it does fine.

Back
Top Bottom