Replacing my Lexus RX 330

We also loved our 2009. It was at the point of needing ~$1.5K in work and since it only had a backup camera, we decided to upgrade to a current model with all the safety features. What I don't like:

1. Scratches all over the car. Clearly a sub-par paint job.

2. Blind spot warning is visual only and no way to get an audible warning.

3. Will not recognize when you are in reverse and a person walks behind your car. Yes, I know I really need to look and not rely on technology. Lexus says this is normal.

4. The redundant joystick that takes away from any additional small areas on the console for your stuff. It's hard enough to remember how to access what I don't access on a regular basis so give me that OR the joystick...I don't need both.

5. Coffee cupholder area sucks. Give me a place, with easy access, to stow my kleenex.

6. Whoever designed the seats (a former airline seat designer :confused:) has a special place in h**l. They are 1" thinner than our 2009 and have 3 seams instead of the 'usual 2'. As a result, due to my ongoing hip bursitis, I am unable to drive this car w/o excruciating pain. Unfortunately, the hip pain manifested itself a few weeks after we bought the car :mad:. DH also finds the seats not as comfortable as the 2009 or our 2016 Acura RDX. Neither of us are obese, however, the seats were designed for a size 2 person weighing 120 lbs. Obviously this issue is not the fault of Lexus, but if I have to live with the hip pain (other medical issues are causing it and I may have to live with a certain level of pain), we'll be getting rid of the car.

I have never hated a car as much as this one. You asked :LOL:.

7. The seat assignment and key don't talk to each other. By that I mean we have to press the assigned seat position number in order for the seat to adjust to our input preferences. In my Acura, the system automatically adjusts to the driver's assigned position; no pressing the appropriate button is necessary.

I have owned an RX-300 and an RX-350. Still have the 350, but I bought new Outback Limited. It has all the luxury features of the RX-350 and more. And the new ones are much cheaper than the Lexus. The outback and lexus are about the same size parked right next to each other, too. Since both are Japanese cars, the controls are practically all the same, too.

Interesting.. we have a Subaru Outback Limited and really like it.... I think it is a great value but never thought to compare it to an RX-350... though it probably is Subaru doesn't have the cachet that Lexus does.

We have a 2001 RX 300 that has about 220k miles on it that we bought brand new. It runs great, but there are a few other things that need work, like electric door locks not working properly. Our son is in drivers ed, and this will be his car while still here. In November, we replaced it with a 2017 RX 350 (the "Luxury" trim) and absolutely love it. According to my wife, the only draw back is it doesn't have Apple CarPlay, which we recently had in a rental car and really liked. Hopefully it will last 200k+ miles as well. I also have a 2010 HS 250 hybrid which I really like as well. We've never really had any problems with Lexus as far as service or quality goes.

3. Will not recognize when you are in reverse and a person walks behind your car. Yes, I know I really need to look and not rely on technology. Lexus says this is normal.

We have both of these but we bought the top of the line RX350, so maybe they are upgrades. BTW - we have never paid so much for a car before ($60k+), but it was nice to finally splurge on something nice.

We also loved our 2009. It was at the point of needing ~$1.5K in work and since it only had a backup camera, we decided to upgrade to a current model with all the safety features. What I don't like:

1. Scratches all over the car. Clearly a sub-par paint job.

4. The redundant joystick that takes away from any additional small areas on the console for your stuff. It's hard enough to remember how to access what I don't access on a regular basis so give me that OR the joystick...I don't need both.

5. Coffee cupholder area sucks. Give me a place, with easy access, to stow my kleenex.

6. Whoever designed the seats (a former airline seat designer :confused:) has a special place in h**l. They are 1" thinner than our 2009 and have 3 seams instead of the 'usual 2'. As a result, due to my ongoing hip bursitis, I am unable to drive this car w/o excruciating pain. Unfortunately, the hip pain manifested itself a few weeks after we bought the car :mad:. DH also finds the seats not as comfortable as the 2009 or our 2016 Acura RDX. Neither of us are obese, however, the seats were designed for a size 2 person weighing 120 lbs. Obviously this issue is not the fault of Lexus, but if I have to live with the hip pain (other medical issues are causing it and I may have to live with a certain level of pain), we'll be getting rid of the car.

I have never hated a car as much as this one. You asked :LOL:.

Thanks for sharing. We aren’t in the market right now but these are things I’ll look for whenever we do decide to buy again.

Yes, hoses are a maintenance item.... I have taken in a couple of cars and had all hoses replaced... around 100K.... I do not want to lose a hose, get it replaced, lose another in a month or so, repeat...

BTW, I was really pissed once when I did this.... I was driving to the airport and I got a busted hose!!! REALLY, I just paid to have them all replaced 6 months earlier... well, the guy did NOT change one small hose that was a bit hard to get to and that was the one that blew... when I say ALL, I mean ALL....

At 200K, it's probably also time to spring for a new radiator, as well as anything else with plastic content that comes in contact with engine coolant.

The new Lexus RX AWD would be at or near the top of my list to replace my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) except I cannot stand the look of the thing. Friends and relatives have various Lexi and I respect the company but just cannot buy a vehicle whose looks irritate me so much.
Right now I'm waiting on a Volvo XC40 but may go back to a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Love the look and the functionality (4WD) of the Jeep but don't like its repair record.

I have owned an RX-300 and an RX-350. Still have the 350, but I bought new Outback Limited. It has all the luxury features of the RX-350 and more. And the new ones are much cheaper than the Lexus. The outback and lexus are about the same size parked right next to each other, too. Since both are Japanese cars, the controls are practically all the same, too.

I too had an RX330 and am now an Outback Limited convert. Our 2016 model has about 30K miles of flawless performance so far. Comfortable and lots of safety features, some of which took getting used to. But now I cannot imagine driving without them.

I am surprised to hear from disgruntled Lexus owners. I had always thought of Lexus as a class company with excellent products. I bought a 2015 Highlander, not the absolute top of the trim line, but the 2nd from the top. I really like it, very comfortable for me. So far, approaching 3 years, and 36K, no issues, but I realize it's still a baby. Would have loved to have bought the Lexus version, but didn't want to spend the extra $, and the dealer is way farther away.

I was also surprised to hear someone reference their 2010 Highlander as "the car from hell". Was that a categorically bad year for Highlanders, or just a bad apple?

I can't get comfortable in an Outback. DW, DS, and DD all have or had them, and I find them very tough on my hips, and back.

DW's Outback was not a very reliable car, which I found surprising since I thought Subaru had a reputation for reliability, but all of the issues that plagued hers were common. We didn't even get a 100K miles out of it before we got tired of throwing money into it.

I am surprised to hear from disgruntled Lexus owners. I had always thought of Lexus as a class company with excellent products. I bought a 2015 Highlander, not the absolute top of the trim line, but the 2nd from the top. I really like it, very comfortable for me. So far, approaching 3 years, and 36K, no issues, but I realize it's still a baby. Would have loved to have bought the Lexus version, but didn't want to spend the extra $, and the dealer is way farther away.

I was also surprised to hear someone reference their 2010 Highlander as "the car from hell". Was that a categorically bad year for Highlanders, or just a bad apple?

I can't get comfortable in an Outback. DW, DS, and DD all have or had them, and I find them very tough on my hips, and back.

DW's Outback was not a very reliable car, which I found surprising since I thought Subaru had a reputation for reliability, but all of the issues that plagued hers were common. We didn't even get a 100K miles out of it before we got tired of throwing money into it.
We have a 2012 Highlander that is my DW's daily driver with a little over 70K miles. We haven't had any issues and it seems to be built very well. You would think that Lexus would be of similar quality.

I am thinking of getting a newer RX 350 with lower mileage and the newer safety features like a back up camera. I don't like the new front grill so I am looking at models before the new front which is I think around 2016.

You are not alone on the front grill of the new models - what is that, a scowling face? My wife drives a 2012 RX350 and I told her to keep it until they fix that horrible appearance on the new ones.

Yeah, back 8-10 years ago I thought sure that an RX350 was going to be my next SUV, but that front end really turns me off. I don't need the most stylish vehicle, but I can't take ugly. Like someone else mentioned, I didn't like that joystick taking up valuable center console space either, but my impression is that it is optional? Anyway, when it came time to buy 4 years ago, I went with the Forester and have no regrets.

OP should repair their vehicle.

Backup camera and blind spot monitor can be added, though the latter requires professional installation.

My in-laws love their slightly used RX350, but they paid through the nose for their CPO model.

And while it's great for the two of them, we found the rear seat room lacking.

I'd pick a new Outback/Forester any day of the week over a new/CPO RX350.

Last edited:
I'd pick a new Outback/Forester any day of the week over a new/CPO RX350.
To be fair, our 2011 CPO RX350 bought in 2014 cost thousands of dollars less than our 2018 Outback.

Last edited:
OP here. I have ridden in Suburus in the past and did not find them comfortable, but I have not ridden one lately so I probably should do that. My husband and I are tall and we find that our Lexus 330 is just the right height for us and very comfortable. Based on all the posts I am thinking of having some work done on my 2006 RX 330 and keeping it for a while longer.

As a RX330 owner, I would keep it. Many of the newer cars have a weird angle for the headrest that hurts my neck. My car prior to the 330 was a Subaru LLBean Outback (2003 I believe). Loved it dearly - except the AC was marginal. Tried many times and dealer could not make it right. Given my stage of life.. I NEEDED good AC! Traded it for a used RX 330.

Back
Top Bottom