Retire 2023 or 2024

Toast

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello to an amazing group of very helpful folks!

I've been lurking since 2018, created an account last year, and finally decided to make an introductory post. I can't even begin to tell you how grateful DH and I are for the wisdom shared in these forums.

A bit about us: high school sweethearts married for 30+ years, no kids. We got married straight after undergrad, started with nothing, and have built an amazing life together.

I have a 24/7 high stress j*b and want to retire in the next year or two. DH is very supportive and encourages taking the leap sooner rather than later. He likes his j*b and is prepared to work until 63.5 which would allow us to Cobra until medicare age.

Several years ago, our w*rk brought us to a high cost of living area. Once DH retires, we'll move back "home" to a very low cost of living area, where we spent the first 40+ years of our lives to be closer to extended family. We would move today if it weren't for DH's j*b. Good salary, enjoyable w*rk, and state pension keeps us here.

Importantly, we've run the numbers and can comfortably afford to live on DH's income alone while continuing saving for retirement.

Current annual expenses: ~40,000 (includes mortgage payment)
Pension at 65: ~37,500 COLA'd 100% survivor
Combined SS at 67: ~57,000 (DH: 38,000 Me: 19,000)
Combined current investments all in target date 2035 funds:
Roth IRAs: ~200,000
401k(b)/403(b)/457(b): ~800,000
Individual stocks: ~10,000
Home: new home built in 2017 valued at 650,000 only owe 70,000
2 paid off fairly new low mileage SUVs

No real questions at this time. We are eager to continue learning and hope to contribute.
Thanks,
Toast

Sounds like everything is in order from a pending retirement perspective.

You guys have the means to retire especially considering the low annual expenses. You mentioned that you have a high stress 24/7 job. I would suggest that you pull the plug much sooner than the next one/two years you mentioned in the post. This will greatly add to your health while your husband is working towards closing things up. All the best in your best phase of life.

Is Cobra the only consideration for the DH continuing. If you have been reading here ACA will be there for both of you until Medicare.

When would your DH pull the plug? Do you have any after tax savings beside roth) to use for ACA purposes?

Thank you for reinforcing the importance of prioritizing my health. I hope that in the coming months I begin to feel more comfortable moving up my timeline.

Is Cobra the only consideration for the DH continuing. If you have been reading here ACA will be there for both of you until Medicare.

When would your DH pull the plug? Do you have any after tax savings beside roth) to use for ACA purposes?

Thank you for mentioning the ACA. We have read about the ACA and investigated options both in our current area and in our desired retirement location. DH had some pretty serious previous health issues, not a current concern, but it still makes us nervous about relying on the ACA. I plan to post in the health thread on the topic and solicit input from folks who had similar concerns.

Welcome to the Forum.
If your job indeed is 24/7 Stress, and you can afford to retire now on DH salary alone, I say Do It! Stress has such a negative impact on your body, it is well worth getting out now.
Why wait?

Thank you, Out-to-Lunch! Finding this Forum has been eye opening and motivating. I read almost every thread post by post and am just soaking up the collective wisdom.

Welcome to the Forum.
If your job indeed is 24/7 Stress, and you can afford to retire now on DH salary alone, I say Do It! Stress has such a negative impact on your body, it is well worth getting out now.
Why wait?

Bolded by me.

You are completely right about stress! I have wanted to retire since 2019 and am stuck in OMY mode. Making my first post and putting my desire to retire in print was a big step. I hope everyone knows that their kind words of welcome and encouragement are appreciated and helpful. Baby steps, but I've been thinking about adding my name to the Class of 2023 thread.

Congrats to you! My target date is May 2023 with similar savings and annual expenses. My job isn't 24/7 stress. Rather, it's a toxic cesspool that I avoid as much as possible, but my better-half loves their job and plans to continue working while our investments grow.

Making my first post a year ago was a huge step for me in figuring out a timeline for my exit strategy, so best of luck to you in planning an exit date!

Congrats to you! My target date is May 2023 with similar savings and annual expenses. My job isn't 24/7 stress. Rather, it's a toxic cesspool that I avoid as much as possible, but my better-half loves their job and plans to continue working while our investments grow.

Making my first post a year ago was a huge step for me in figuring out a timeline for my exit strategy, so best of luck to you in planning an exit date!

Seeing you response helped me decide that 2023 will be the year. I officially added my name to the Class of 2023 thread.

A huge thank you to everyone who replied to this thread! I appreciate the encouragement and reminders to focus on my health. Only 499 days to go! :)

Toast, congratulations on making the decision. I, too, found the act of making a commitment in writing on this forum very helpful in setting my timeline. It sounds like you both have things well in hand financially; congrats on that, too!

Congratulations on making it official and welcome to the class of 2023!

Good choice to go earlier than later.

You cannot buy a year of good health. Take it now while you have it. Enjoy life, maybe do some travel.

Good health in later years is fleeting. Don't sell it cheap!

Back
Top Bottom