Retired at 58 in 2019 - just found this community!

Martlet

Dryer sheet aficionado
I retired after a 30-year corporate career when my employer reorganized my job away. I had been planning loosely to retire within two years or so, but the nudge from the reorg fall out was decisive. Some years prior, my wife had switched from corporate work to a second career as an artisan cheesemaker and vendor.

Financially, we are in decent shape. FireCalc says 95% - 100% success on a 34 year window (to age 96) without considering SS which we will likely defer to age 70.

Financial Challenges since my retirement:
- Adjusting emotionally to entering withdrawal phase. We have two accounts with scheduled distributions that fund most of our expenses. But I still had my taxable brokerage accounts set up for dividend reinvestment until TODAY.
- Complications of owning signficant financial assets overseas. We had company pensions from our time in the UK that we transferred in 2019 into the SIPPs, the UK equivalent of an IRA, more or less. Financially rewarding but at the cost of much tax and financial asset reporting. Happy to swap stories with others wrestling with FATCA, FBAR, Form 8938 compliance.

Life Surprises since retirement:
- We've done some significant things, but not the ones we thought we'd do (walk the Camino de Santiago, take a touring vacation in Australia)
- I never expected to miss my commute. I have grown to like the 90 minutes a day in a bubble with my podcast playlist.

Overall, I always aspire to, and mostly achieve the experience of a former colleague who had retired at age 50 and wrote to me at my retirement that he "wake up each day like it’s the first day of the summer holidays, and I go to bed each night feeling I have done less than I wanted

.... I never expected to miss my commute. I have grown to like the 90 minutes a day in a bubble with my podcast playlist. ...

Welcome to the forum.

So just do your 90 minutes of podcast listening while relaxing in your favorite chair or lounger... 90 minutes is 90 minutes whether you are commuting or relaxing. :D

We have some forum members in the UK that may be able to provide advice on the tax reporting hassles.

Welcome to the forum. Yes, Alan one of our forum Administrators now lives over the pond.

We hope to hear much more from you. (I'm going to listen to a podcast in a little while - while I'm on my stationary bicycle.)

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good advice here.

I recently completed a stint as an expat to the UK. The tax stuff is astounding. Fortunately my company is on the hook to equalize it and handle the filing so long as there is something to deal with. Given my deferred compensation plan, that should be about 15 years...

Welcome to the Forum!

Since you retired right before pandemic and the market chaos that has ensued since, can you comment on how your managed your income and investments? Did you reduce spending or utilize cash to avoid selling during the severe downturn in 2020 or the market selloff of 2022?

Same thing happened to me. I retired in 1999, but somehow didn’t find this forum until 2016!

I had used the forums on Morningstar and a few other sites to get me through the planning for retirement. It turned out what I used for a sanity check (Trinity study) was reasonably close to FIREcalc.

I’m not sure I ever disclosed my early retirement plans in those other forums. This site would have been great while I was carefully staging my retirement.

Welcome to the forum.

I listen to podcasts while walking my dog. When working I never had time and would give the wonder-dog a quick walk in the neighborhood before rushing to work. When I retired the very first thing I did was change the dog walk to the beach - and I've added podcast listening to that... Pooch likes the longer walks at the beach... I like not being rushed.

Financially you look to be in great shape since you hit 95% *without* including SS. Your wife's cheese business sounds really interesting.

Since you retired right before pandemic and the market chaos that has ensued since, can you comment on how your managed your income and investments? Did you reduce spending or utilize cash to avoid selling during the severe downturn in 2020 or the market selloff of 2022?

We didn't cut spending or delay projects to conserve assets in this period. Some spending went away because of travel restrictions and similar precautions.

The ways we have funded spending are:
(0) Because I retired as a sort of voluntary redundancy, I received salary continuation for six months to August 2019.
(1) I had a deferred comp supplemental retirement savings from my work.
It has roughly equal distributions set up from 2019 to 2028 that fund about half our core spending.
(2) I had company stock that exited a lockup period in late 2019. I sold those steadily (with a hiatus in the early pandemic when they plummeted) to fund most of our additional spending through end 2021.
(3) My wife has an inherited IRA from her dad that we take the RMD from each year. Last year we spent that directly and it covered about a quarter of ur core spending.
(4) The balance of our 2022 spend (about a quarter) came from the fixed income part of our US taxable accounts.
(5) For this year and subsequent years we will be dipping into our UK retirement savings accounts. For the next three years or so, those withdrawals can come from fixed income part if we wish. We envisage depleting those accounts more of less completely by the time we reach 70 (2031) and begin drawing social security

Overall, our philosophy has been (a) to have enough (> 5 years) low risk fixed income assets to tide us through a bad equity market reversal without forced selling; and (b) to maintain a fairly high equity allocation (~75%). I'd just comment that managing the fixed income part of the portfolio is more difficult than I expected. With equities, the home runs make up for a lot of strike-outs and errors. With fixed income, particularly low risk fixed income, there are no home runs to be had, and every little mistake is consequential.

We envisage depleting those accounts more of less completely by the time we reach 70 (2031) and begin drawing social security

First of all, welcome.

The bolded by me above is why I will take SS early (65). We do not want to deplete OUR $ when we could be spending uncle Sam's (SS). Too many stories of people depleting their stash , taking SS at 70 and then taking dirt nap at 70.5.

Welcome!! I listen to podcasts on the stairs/tread-mill at the gym and look forward to exercising because of the podcasts.

VW

Back
Top Bottom