Retiring this year - I'm very nervous.

Also - back to the original question of 'will we be fine'..you mentioned the increase in annual expenses to cover healthcare.

That's the ONE reason I haven't ER'd already. Super stressful job that I desperately want / need to get out of before it kills me, but priced out coverage on the ACA exchange at one point last year, and it was something insane like $18K per year premiums with $6K deductibles..(SERIOUSLY?!!)

Waiting to see what .gov comes up with on the new plan before we decide IF we can ER and if so, when..we could technically afford to, but $20K+/year for healthcare is going to be like a cannonball into the piggy bank every year..and that's the one thing that keeps me working OMY more than anything else..

I ER'ed 2 months ago at 57. My saving grace as far as healthcare goes was being grandfathered into MegaCorps pre-65 medical benefit (age + years of service when they dropped the benefit had to be > than 55).

I had 20 years in at age 45 at that point (12 years ago). Now I'm covered with the same plan options as current employees for $277 a month. I'd be in dire straits otherwise.

I'm high in cash too, about 35%, and am slowly going to add about $310K to ten year treasury notes via treasury direct and I bonds. I have significantly more in stocks than you, so I'm not concerned about keeping up with inflation. I wouldn't touch a bond fund since a sell off could hurt your principal. Buying individual bonds at least gives you the control of when to sell. No fees at treasury direct either.

Healthcare is my "OMY boat anchor" that keeps me toiling away.

I sympathize. Trying to calculate this uncertain expense for myself and spouse before Medicare eligible is a wildcard. Our unsubsidized health care premiums are really high while working. I'm not at all certain it will get less expensive when I stop working, am older, and possibly get more health issues. So I too am OMY. But at some point, you have to take a leap of faith, decide your savings are close enough, plan to make your spending flexible if the unthinkable happens, and jump into retirement.

Back
Top Bottom