Retractable screen door review

T4fun

Confused about dryer sheets
I recently replaced my French Patio doors. We open the doors often when the temperature is nice for the fresh air. Sadly the door manufacturer messed up the threshold so installing traditional sliding screen doors is not an easy task. I had previously looked at retractable screen doors, but have concerns about the track on the threshold and foot traffic. Also wonder about longevity of the doors. Something like this is what I was considering

https://casperscreens.com/product/casper-screens-diy-retractable-screen-door-kit-double-door

I'd appreciate any feedback on brands, issues, longevity, and operation/happiness.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about getting a soft screen door? No need to open and close it. Just walk through it. Has magnets to reclose itself. We've used this on our door and it worked well. They are very affordable too so not costly to replace if you accidently rip it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09X7JCXRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

(I do prefer a center entrance though. This one looks like it may open up more to the side for a standard french door entry size. Easy enough I'm sure to find a center entrance.)

I should add, this was great for when we had our dog, and a fenced in yard. She could let herself in or out without us having to open the screen door for her.

Last edited:
I've considered soft screens, but not sure it's the right solution for me. Luckily it's turning cold so I'm not rushed to make a decision. Thank you for the recommendation.

I found that the soft screen didn’t work well at all and was a waste of money.

I have these two at my house on a single back door and a single side door.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anderse...iding-Retractable-Screen-Door-90001/302197300

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improv...m-single-sliding-screen-doors-w007239591.html

I prefer the Andersen since it was easier to install and opens and closes more smoothly. To be fair, the Larson is installed in a odd sized side door in an old house and needed to be cut down. When I ran into trouble, the Larson support folks were great.

The screens do alter the threshold a bit, but that hasn't been a problem. My doors are not in high traffic areas of the house and are not constantly being opened and closed, but they have been really great for getting cross ventilation going. I am glad I added them.

BR

bigreader

Thank you. How long have your screens been installed?

I have had the Anderson installed for about three years, and another brand was on for about three years before that. We enjoy opening the house up on nice days. We really like how the screen is out of the way in the winter time versus a swinging screen door. But it's not a buy it once and last forever item. Typically the screen gets messed up and leaves an opening at the bottom after a while. The current Anderson developed this problem a few weeks ago and I will replace it in the spring.

I have had the Anderson installed for about three years, and another brand was on for about three years before that. We enjoy opening the house up on nice days. We really like how the screen is out of the way in the winter time versus a swinging screen door. But it's not a buy it once and last forever item. Typically the screen gets messed up and leaves an opening at the bottom after a while. The current Anderson developed this problem a few weeks ago and I will replace it in the spring.

Thank you. I wouldn't expect it to last forever, but I had fears that a few years was more typical.

We have a similar retractable roll up screen on our front door. It is not a double door like you are considering. It is a standard 3 ft. door. It has been installed for over 8 years and still functions as designed. We do not use it frequently, only on days when the temperatures are mild and we want to get some fresh air into the house. It fits and seals tight which is important to keep out bugs and anoles. If and when it fails, we will buy another similar product.

We upgraded from a sliding to French a couple years ago and tried the magnet screens. Then DW found a local firm that installed roll up type for us. Couple seasons and no problems.

We live in Midwest. Don’t have French door but have a sliding glass door that opens to the patio. It also has a retractable sliding screen door. We recently had an issue with the screen and had a tech who specializes in just doors come out to repair. He mentioned that more than half of his customers are annoyed with sliding screens where they don’t close all the way after a couple of years. We had him remove the retractable functionality and don’t miss it. FWIW

Back
Top Bottom