Revieved IRS check for $13.73

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just recieved a check for $13.73 from the IRS without any preceding letter.
However on the check I see,
PHILAD 12/2019 TAX REFUND 30 INT $ 13.73
So, I suspect it is an interest payment. Last year I paid $0 tax, but, I way overpaid my quarterlies.

Is the IRS paying interest on quarterly over payments?

How much overpayment is allowed to be paid interest on? I mean 5% is a heck of a deal.

We received this tax refund also and I was wondering what it was for, so thanks for this information.

Last month, we got an IRS direct deposit of $2.83. No accompanying explanation. We haven't paid quarterlies for years; our refund, though quite large, was prompt. So it remains a mystery, which I lack the energy to investigate.

Last month, we got an IRS direct deposit of $2.83. No accompanying explanation. We haven't paid quarterlies for years; our refund, though quite large, was prompt. So it remains a mystery, which I lack the energy to investigate.

Ours was $4.19. I filed very late and our refund was relatively small ($320ish). Can't even guess how that deposit amount was calculated. Yawn...... Now back to my book....

As others have said, this is an interest payment from the IRS. Be aware that if the amount is over $10.00, you will receive a 1099-INT form next year at tax time from the IRS. You pay taxes on that interest!

Don't get too close to any cliffs! Always allow room for surprise income.

How much overpayment is allowed to be paid interest on? I mean 5% is a heck of a deal.

As far as I know, they pay interest on the entire overpayment, no matter how large.

However, two things to note:

1. The interest rate they're paying dropped from 5% to 3% recently.

2. They only pay you if they're "late" getting you your refund, and "late" is defined by them, not you. This year that happened a lot because of the virus, however in a typical year it's unlikely and not something I would count on.

As far as I know, they pay interest on the entire overpayment, no matter how large.

However, two things to note:

1. The interest rate they're paying dropped from 5% to 3% recently.

2. They only pay you if they're "late" getting you your refund, and "late" is defined by them, not you. This year that happened a lot because of the virus, however in a typical year it's unlikely and not something I would count on.

Okay, I feel much better now. At first, I thought maybe they'd grown a heart or at least developed some intelligible rules. I should have known better. Very little has changed, but YMMV.

No interest check for me yet, as still waiting for my refund.:mad:

I got one yesterday too, $24. It said 2019 Int

I also overpaid my quarterly estimates.

No interest check for me yet, as still waiting for my refund.:mad:

Well, at those interest rates, it may well be in your favor if they wait another 6 months....

Back
Top Bottom