RIP - Gordon Lightfoot

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Gordon Lightfoot passed away. He was 84 years old.

Gordon Lightfoot, Canada's legendary folk singer-songwriter whose hits including "Early Morning Rain" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" told a tale of Canadian identity that was exported worldwide, died on Monday. He was 84.

Representative Victoria Lord said the musician died at a Toronto hospital. His cause of death was not immediately available.

Considered one of the most renowned voices to emerge from Toronto's Yorkville folk club scene in the 1960s, Lightfoot went on to record 20 studio albums and pen hundreds of songs, including "Carefree Highway" and "Sundown."

Once called a "rare talent" by Bob Dylan, dozens of artists have covered his work, including Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand, Harry Belafonte, Johnny Cash, Anne Murray, Jane's Addiction and Sarah McLachlan.

Most of his songs are deeply autobiographical with lyrics that probe his own experiences in a frank manner and explore issues surrounding the Canadian national identity.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gordon-lightfoot-dies-age-84-singer-wreck-of-the-edmund-fitzgerald/

I remember listening to him for hours on end in my teens and twenties. His music was pure poetry.

I'll have to dig up those old CDs.

RIP

Favorite song of his “I’ll Tag Along.” East of Eden album.

His was the first live concert I ever attended. Sacramento Memorial Auditorium around 1972. Just him, his guitar and a stool was on the stage.
My date ended up being my wife 3 years later. We still listen to his songs regularly...

Favorite song of his “I’ll Tag Along.” East of Eden album.

Nice! I had forgotten about that one.

For me, it's a very different type of song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". Very well known, but so genuine, still makes my hair stand on end.

I was a fan. I just about wore out the double vinyl "Gord's Gold."

He was very popular while I was in college, a staple for folk cover acts I attended often - especially “If You Could Read My Mind.”

That is a loss. My favorite of his work was this one.

Watched a documentary of him on Amazon Prime about a year or two ago. Was very insightful. A very frank and well done documentary.

A buddy of mine ran into him on a canoe trip in the Quetico wilderness. My friend didn't recognize him. My buddy thought to himself "who in the world packs a guitar over all those portages" Then he realized who he was.

He said he was a nice guy, just out to enjoy a canoe trip in the Ontario wilderness.

One of my favorites. I rewatched the Gordon Lightfoot documentary on Amazon Prime this weekend (just saw it and randomly watched it).

I have been listening to his albums starting from 1966.

Very sad, but his health had not been good.

Sundown, Carefree Highway, so many great songs. Truly a musical genius and underappreciated I think.

Coupled with the passing of Ian Tyson a few months back, Lightfoot’s death marks the end of an era for Canadian folk music.

Many 'goosebumps' songs. Having lived in the shadow of the Bluewater Bridge for many summers and listened to the lakers horns, number one for me will always be 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald' but also 'Ghosts of Cape Horn' and 'The Canadian Railroad Trilogy'. Thank you for the wonderful poetry and music. RIP.

Coupled with the passing of Ian Tyson a few months back, Lightfoot’s death marks the end of an era for Canadian folk music.
Well, there's still Joni Mitchell and Neil Young -- the two Canadians whom some say started the wildly popular singer-songwriter era of the late 1960s to mid-1970s. ("Rainy Day People" is one of my favorite Gordon Lightfoot songs. I've been a fan of his since 1971.)

I liked all of his music, but I was mesmerized by the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. So much so that I went to the shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point to learn more about it.

Ouch

Sad to hear. Really enjoy his music - sometimes just therapeutic.

Sundown.

Carefree Highway - my favorite.

Edmund Fitzgerald.

Well, another tiny part of 'my world'....going and gone. I'm sort of getting used to it now. These days I'm 47 - in my mind and spirit I truly feel I'm 80+.

I'm not posting it - as it's a somewhat violent scene but from the show "Blacklist".... search YouTube for 'Blacklist Sundown" - it'll be the first video that pops up. It's a somewhat. violent scene - with - Sundown playing in background. Really good stuff.

I love his music. I saw him in concert twice back in the late 70s, and both times he was drunk and abusive to the audience. Very disappointing, especially as I was trying to impress my dates and I didn't have money to waste. I never saw him again, although I understand he made it through the dark times and had a better later life. Sorry he's gone. He was a troubadour of the highest degree.

Back
Top Bottom