Roll Call: admin. says bailout in the works for months; reps will have only days?

ladelfina

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
White House Dispatches Team to Push Economic Bill - Roll Call

Asked during a telephone briefing for reporters today whether Bush was speaking with lawmakers, White House Deputy Press Secretary Tony Fratto said the president is aware of their concerns but that Paulson is the salesman.
Fratto said it would be “unthinkable” for Congress not to pass legislation this week, asserting the result would be a “very, very serious situation” for the U.S. economy.

“It shouldn’t take much analysis to remember what happened last week, which was a very serious freeze-up in our credit markets,” Fratto said. “Our financial markets right now do not need uncertainty, they need increased certainty as to how this rescue plan is going to go forward — and that they can be sure that there is a plan to go forward — and that will begin the correction in our financial markets.”

Fratto insisted that the plan was not slapped together and had been drawn up as a contingency over previous months and weeks by administration officials. He acknowledged lawmakers were getting only days to peruse it, but he said this should be enough.

Hey! There is only one chance to do this right (or less wrong).. so why would you need more than a couple days to review it? Just sign the check already!

Fratto insisted that the plan was not slapped together and had been drawn up as a contingency over previous months and weeks by administration officials. He acknowledged lawmakers were getting only days to peruse it, but he said this should be enough.

If I were a member of congress, this is exactly what would bother me. (Heck, as a taxpayer, this is what bothers me.)

If they saw the possibility that they would need something like this in a big hurry, why weren't they talking to key committees months ago?

If they didn't see it coming, why should we give them the extraordinary powers they want?

It's one of those "either lying or incompetent" situations.

If I were a member of congress, this is exactly what would bother me. (Heck, as a taxpayer, this is what bothers me.)

If they saw the possibility that they would need something like this in a big hurry, why weren't they talking to key committees months ago?

If they didn't see it coming, why should we give them the extraordinary powers they want?

Or even better, rather than figuring out a bail out, why wasn't the administration asking itself what regulation oversight needed to be increased in light of their concerns:confused: Management is missing in this one!

-- Rita

Why the or?

I don't think they're incompetent - that's not the problem, it's that they keep getting to do what they want...

The bullying and fear tactics are starting to feel all too familiar with this administration.

Guess Michael Moore has his next documentary topic, the big bailout!

bright eyed, sadly, Michael Moore could make a documentary about the grass being green and some here would take issue with it. P.S. Did you know he is fat? :D

Can't wait to get that Shock Doctrine book...
http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine

There are several things holding it up. No golden parachutes for the ejected management of the companies. How much oversight should be given to the companies that are bailed out.

It is sad... but the same opportunist (and lobbyist) that convinced congress and the admin to get us where we are today are jockey for position to make money from the bailout.

Think about it. There are massive fortunes to be made from the bailout. Many of the the same greedy @$$h0les that perpetrated the crime are in line to collect money by participating in the bailout.

Back
Top Bottom