S & P Index (SPY)

THUNDER_75

Dryer sheet wannabe
Would anyone like to comment about the S&P index (SPY)? I am reviewing it to see if I should make at apart of my portfolio. I would like to consolidate from several domestic US Mutual funds and ETF'S into it.

Anyone in it (like/dislike):confused:??

Yes, I have allocation for US large, US mid/large, intl equities, US govt bonds and intl bonds.

FWIW, I also have Fidelity Contra that has various cap levels. Just to be different :)

Last edited:
Would anyone like to comment about the S&P index (SPY)? I am reviewing it to see if I should make at apart of my portfolio. I would like to consolidate from several domestic US Mutual funds and ETF'S into it.

Anyone in it (like/dislike):confused:??
Like or dislike is not how I think of it.

What are you consolidating? The specifics usually result in better responses. Your overall Asset Allocation is important.

If the individual fund fees now are high, that is another factor that suggests consolidation.

I hold a good chunk SPY, some RSP, and some VTI. Not a lot of diversity, I know, but some.

I am becoming less a fan of index funds all the time, and this is THE index fund. I fear the market cap weighting will eventually (soon) turn on us.

Of course, history shows that I am likely wrong, but for my portfolio, I am trying to value tilt my equities a little more.

For portfolio simplification, total market funds are preferable. It is pretty common around here for a poster hold a total US market fund and a total international fund in a proportion according to his/her taste. VTSAX and VTIAX are the Vanguard flavors. Here is quite a good video on home country bias: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/videos/home-bias.aspx Again, around here, 70/30 seems to be a popular ratio.

If you are at Fido, they have a couple of no-fee funds that probably will work too, although IIRC their no-fee international fund is not a total market fund. I think the US one is total market.

Our approach is even simpler. We hold VTWAX, which is the whole world. US stocks are (presently) about 55% of the VTWAX portfolio. I think we are somewhat in the minority with zero home country bias.

SPY is 10% of my play fund. I have about 5% of my NW in a "play" fund made up of about 12 stocks/funds. SPY anchors that for me. The other 11 (Apple being one) are all just shot in the dark buy on a whim stocks. SOme of my 401K money is in SP500 funds but not SPY.

concentration of 5 - 10 stocks in SPY ETF

I am becoming less a fan of index funds all the time, and this is THE index fund. I fear the market cap weighting will eventually (soon) turn on us.

Of course, history shows that I am likely wrong, but for my portfolio, I am trying to value tilt my equities a little more.

Yea that is what I am reviewing. I noticed that the 10 top stocks (msft, appl, amzn, fb, googl, goog et al (technologies) have 24% of the value of the index. That is steering me away from investing into it until it has a sell off. They have had a good run but can they continue the flight? I am looking for any white papers on the topic to get more insight. Any ideas?

Yea that is what I am reviewing. I noticed that the 10 top stocks (msft, appl, amzn, fb, googl, goog et al (technologies) have 24% of the value of the index. That is steering me away from investing into it until it has a sell off. They have had a good run but can they continue the flight? I am looking for any white papers on the topic to get more insight. Any ideas?

You could go with an equal weighting like RSP.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/l...00-by-favoring-equal-weighted-etfs-2018-09-26

Listing of alternative SPY etf choices.

Quite recently I had 25% of my assets in a SP500 fund. Now I have about half of that {12.5%} in the SP500. The index has had a good run and I have made a good percentage of money on it. I believe the market to be expensive at this time so diversified away from it a bit. As always YMMV.

Have owned it for a decade. Simple way to track the market.

Amazon, Google, and Apple are not going to fail any time soon. Technology is not going to regress. People will want the latest and greatest stuff.

I suppose a year from now, after the latest iPhone with 5G technology is released and scarfed up by all the Apple fanboys over the holidays the stock will be over $400 a share. Rinse and repeat.

Amazon, Google, and Apple are not going to fail any time soon. Technology is not going to regress. People will want the latest and greatest stuff. ...
I am not particularly worried either, but a couple of points:

1) This is the kind of comment we saw as the tech bubble developed.

2) It mixes up the question of whether these are good companies with the question of whether they are good investments. My usual example is this:
Suppose you walk into the grocery store and encounter the finest display of pears you have ever seen. Each one is perfect, polished, wrapped in gold foil, and in a beautiful individual gift box. The price is $100 each. Would you buy? I don't think so. The pears are beautiful but the price is too high.
Jeremy Seigel's book "Stocks for the Long Run" is a bit dated but is a pretty good read on this general subject. It emphasizes the fact that a good company may not be a good investment, where a dull and uninteresting company may be a winner. Much to my surprise, there is an early edition (314 pages) on line: https://www.riosmauricio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Siegel_Stocks-For-The-Long-Run.pdf
(I haven't looked at this book for several years. This post reminded me that there is a 2014 edition which I have now ordered.)

VOO (Vanguard S&P 500) has a lower expense ratio at 0.03% vs. 0.0945%.

SPY has very active options so if options are part of your strategy SPY would be better.

IVV cost .04. Also, fidelity has some no fee funds worth checking out: FZROX total market and FNILX large cap.

Back
Top Bottom