San Francisco for Christmas

SecondAttempt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any tips on San Francisco on Christmas Eve/Day? We have been to SF more times than I can count so we're not looking for normal tourist advice. Is there anything really special? Not very religious but any special church services could be of interest. My partner has close relatives in San Jose and Vallejo that we might hang out with. Just looking to hear if there is anything special to look out for. We'll be there from December 22 to 27, staying at Union Square but pretty adept at getting around the region.

I always like to go see the decorations at the Fairmont and Mark Hopkins Hotels. Afternoon tea at the Fairmont is wonderful, but you have to reserve that well in advance. The St Francis also has fantastic decorations and usually an exhibit of gingerbread houses or chocolate art.

Last year we went to an outdoor art/light installation near the Conservatory in Golden Gate Park. I don't know if that will be an annual event or if it was a one-time thing though.

SF Playhouse usually has a special production for the holiday season. That is one of our favorite local theater groups. This coming season they have a musical version of As You Like It. We've enjoy the Oakland Ballet's Nutcracker performances. It is pretty fun just walking around the city during the holidays, seeing the decorations and watching the skaters at Union Square. We had a great evening one year seeing a holiday ballet at Yerba Buena Gardens, walking around seeing the decorations and then having drinks at a roof top bar. There will probably be holiday events at the Sales Force Tower rooftop park.

You can also check event lists like Goldstar, DotheBay, Secretsanfrancico.com, sffuncheap.com and datebook SF. I follow those on Facebook for event ideas.

SF Playhouse usually has a special production for the holiday season. That is one of our favorite local theater groups. This coming season they have a musical version of As You Like It. We've enjoy the Oakland Ballet's Nutcracker performances. It is pretty fun just walking around the city during the holidays, seeing the decorations and watching the skaters at Union Square. We had a great evening one year seeing a holiday ballet at Yerba Buena Gardens, walking around seeing the decorations and then having drinks at a roof top bar. There will probably be holiday events at the Sales Force Tower rooftop park.

You can also check event lists like Goldstar, DotheBay, Secretsanfrancico.com, sffuncheap.com and datebook SF. I follow those on Facebook for event ideas.

Thanks! All good possibilities. And those sites will be bookmarked for future trips.

I also discovered there is a 49ers game on Christmas Eve afternoon. But Midnight Mass looks interesting as well so could make for a long day!

I always like to go see the decorations at the Fairmont and Mark Hopkins Hotels. Afternoon tea at the Fairmont is wonderful, but you have to reserve that well in advance. The St Francis also has fantastic decorations and usually an exhibit of gingerbread houses or chocolate art.

Last year we went to an outdoor art/light installation near the Conservatory in Golden Gate Park. I don't know if that will be an annual event or if it was a one-time thing though.

Thanks. Fairmont used to be my go to hotel in SF. And staying at St. Francis this year so good to know about the decorations!

On Christmas Day many of the tourist attractions will be closed, but some usually stay open like those at Fisherman's Wharf, most of the Chinatown restaurants, like Major Tom mentioned, the botanical gardens at Golden Gate Park, the Contemporary Jewish Museum and the big hotels will have their holiday menus. Usually there are websites that tell you what will be open and what will be closed for Christmas Day and Eve. Many of the live events, like theater and dance productions, often have Christmas Eve performances but usually not on Christmas Day.

You can find some of the restaurants open on Christmas Day on opentable.com. The open ones often fill up early so you might want to make reservations at least a few weeks out, if you want a fancy holiday meal.

Back
Top Bottom