Saturated Fat up, stroke down..!

The amount of olive oil consumed in the med is hard for the rest of the world to believe. It is really impressive. I should say that the amount of smoking in Greece is also off the charts. If they'd stop smoking in Greece, I think everyone may be 100.
Screen_shot_2014-07-25_at_12.11.35_PM.png

Having lived to see the rehabilitation of eggs, bacon, coffee, peanut butter and other foods once considered to be unhealthy, I fully expect that we will see more reversals in nutrition science since it appears to be more religion than science.

Personally, I consider French vanilla ice cream and Root beer to be health food since an occasional root beer float puts a smile on my face.

Everything in moderation.

Root beer floats, I've seen them serve this at a local nursing home for an afternoon snack between dinner at noon and supper at five..Big glasses full of regular RB and ice cream. 90% of the residents on that floor are in wheel chairs and more then a few are diabetic.
WTH:confused: My SIL Mom is on that floor and in 4 months gained 16 pounds.Shes an insulin dependent diabetic. But don't worry. they have a dietitian on staff that approves all the menus.

Root beer floats, I've seen them serve this at a local nursing home for an afternoon snack between dinner at noon and supper at five..Big glasses full of regular RB and ice cream. 90% of the residents on that floor are in wheel chairs and more then a few are diabetic.
WTH:confused: My SIL Mom is on that floor and in 4 months gained 16 pounds.Shes an insulin dependent diabetic. But don't worry. they have a dietitian on staff that approves all the menus.
My mom is 99 now and lives for sweety things. I'd say its a third of her diet.. Not counting the multiple cups of sugared teas she loves. My friend told me that her mom was the same in her 90s. Apparently your taste buds don't work as well when you get older so what the hell.. They may as well enjoy their food.

My mom is 99 now and lives for sweety things. I'd say its a third of her diet.. Not counting the multiple cups of sugared teas she loves. My friend told me that her mom was the same in her 90s. Apparently your taste buds don't work as well when you get older so what the hell.. They may as well enjoy their food.

at 99 yes she should enjoy her food..it seems ironic to me that a full care nursing home would pump diabetics full of worthless sugar calories.

If someone is old enough to live in a nursing home, does it really matter? Can't they just enjoy what time they have left?

My brother would get concerned about our Dad's increased use of salt in his meals and sugar in his coffee. A bit frail but otherwise healthy, I figure he's past his mid 80s so how can that matter.

If someone is old enough to live in a nursing home, does it really matter? Can't they just enjoy what time they have left?

My brother would get concerned about our Dad's increased use of salt in his meals and sugar in his coffee. A bit frail but otherwise healthy, I figure he's past his mid 80s so how can that matter.

I take your point on that - to an extent. If they made it to 85 or 90 without our input, then who are we (relative youngsters) to tell them what to do.
Alas, completely letting go for a diabetic person who needs insulin shots means many more life-impairing co-morbidities to deal with. So, it's not like they just drop dead because they eat a gallon of ice cream a day, but their quality of life probably decreases significantly, and that is not what most people want.

I'd argue it matters more. They get three meals a day and three snacks. I didn't say they should starve, only that there has to be a better option then root beer floats. High blood sugar decreases quality of life.

I guess the diabetic residents in nursing homes could have diet root beer with their ice cream it that would help keep them in balance. My Dear Mother, who will be 94 this month and not diabetic nor is she in a nursing home , thoroughly enjoys her root beer floats or a small scoop of sherbet or Neapolitan ice cream just about every night. She isn't overweight at all, but is enjoying life while she still can.

I once heard a radio program with a geriatrician talking about elderly nursing home patients losing weight and losing their desire to eat. His philosophy was that "all calories are good calories" in those cases and he would let them eat candy and ice cream if it will keep them from starving themselves. My Mother eats like a small bird, so I am happy to see her have an interest in meals and desserts if that will help her keep her weight up to a healthy range.

I guess the diabetic residents in nursing homes could have diet root beer with their ice cream it that would help keep them in balance. My Dear Mother, who will be 94 this month and not diabetic nor is she in a nursing home , thoroughly enjoys her root beer floats or a small scoop of sherbet or Neapolitan ice cream just about every night. She isn't overweight at all, but is enjoying life while she still can.

I once heard a radio program with a geriatrician talking about elderly nursing home patients losing weight and losing their desire to eat. His philosophy was that "all calories are good calories" in those cases and he would let them eat candy and ice cream if it will keep them from starving themselves. My Mother eats like a small bird, so I am happy to see her have an interest in meals and desserts if that will help her keep her weight up to a healthy range.

I think common sense needs to prevail. I totally agree with letting your mom have her rootbeer floats as it seems to have no ill-effects and keeps up her spirits. On the other hand, feeding a diabetic on insulin a massive carbohydrate bomb makes no sense because it WILL aggravate their condition

I think common sense needs to prevail. I totally agree with letting your mom have her rootbeer floats as it seems to have no ill-effects and keeps up her spirits. On the other hand, feeding a diabetic on insulin a massive carbohydrate bomb makes no sense because it WILL aggravate their condition
Dunno. If a person is close to the end of the road ( my mom is 102, living at a nursing home and has dementia. She enjoys chocolate, I bring her as much as she wants...) I think that the prolong life at all costs approach is not all its cracked up to be.

Dunno. If a person is close to the end of the road ( my mom is 102, living at a nursing home and has dementia. She enjoys chocolate, I bring her as much as she wants...) I think that the prolong life at all costs approach is not all its cracked up to be.

Well all have to die sometime, that's true. But I've seen older diabetics struggle with long term bladder/ kidney infection issues/ open sores, etc. and linger in a lot of pain for longer then I care to think about.

Well all have to die sometime, that's true. But I've seen older diabetics struggle with long term bladder/ kidney infection issues/ open sores, etc. and linger in a lot of pain for longer then I care to think about.
Agreed. The situation you describe seems to fit the prolong life at all costs part that I'm skeptical about. Obviously each case is different and common sense should apply but unfortunately there is no agreement as to what constitutes "common sense". I guess we'll all just have to muddle through.

Agreed. The situation you describe seems to fit the prolong life at all costs part that I'm skeptical about. Obviously each case is different and common sense should apply but unfortunately there is no agreement as to what constitutes "common sense". I guess we'll all just have to muddle through.

Mt sympathy about your Mom my MIL had dementia too and that is a very hard way to go.

Mt sympathy about your Mom my MIL had dementia too and that is a very hard way to go.
You know, sometimes I wonder about our perceptions and assessments of someone else's experiences. My mom actually seems fairly happy in her own way. She hardly knows who I am but she wonders about the wonderful green grass outside her window at the nursing home and how the sky changes colors and is amazed that the cherry trees have reddish leaves - how cant that be a tree without green leaves?

You know, sometimes I wonder about our perceptions and assessments of someone else's experiences. My mom actually seems fairly happy in her own way. She hardly knows who I am but she wonders about the wonderful green grass outside her window at the nursing home and how the sky changes colors and is amazed that the cherry trees have reddish leaves - how cant that be a tree without green leaves?

It's definitely hard on the family..

This new study was interesting enough to make the cover of the journal Cell Chemical Biology.

"Now we have evidence for saying that ketones can minimise the amount of harmful methylglyoxal in living organisms, and that is a discovery that gets noticed, as it involves two of the most debated substances within biological aging and late diabetic complications. Moreover, these substances react with each other," says Mogens Johannsen.

The body's own fat-metabolism protects against the harmful effects of sugar

Rather than start another thread on diet and health recommendations that may not have been correct I thought I would add this here:

In 1999 the FDA approved health claims about Soy products and how they help out with heart disease. It seems that just don't have the science to back up this recommendation.

Seeing Through the FDA's Soy Ploy - Reason.com

"For the first time, we have considered it necessary to propose a rule to revoke a health claim because numerous studies published since the claim was authorized in 1999 have presented inconsistent findings on the relationship between soy protein and heart disease."
"In September 1998, the Center for Science in the Public Interest [discussed] 'the overblown—and under-substantiated—world of soy claims,'" writes Marion Nestle, in her book Food Politics. "This skepticism was soon justified by independent studies suggesting that substituting soy for other proteins in the diet might have little effect on the coronary risk of North Americans."
So eat less soy, and more eggs.

I find this especially interesting since soy products are full of phyto-estrogens. How many men over 50 do you know who say they need more estrogen in their body? Usually, if they want more hormones, they want more T.

Last edited:
Rather than start another thread on diet and health recommendations that may not have been correct I thought I would add this here:

In 1999 the FDA approved health claims about Soy products and how they help out with heart disease. It seems that just don't have the science to back up this recommendation.

Seeing Through the FDA's Soy Ploy - Reason.com

So eat less soy, and more eggs.

I find this especially interesting since soy products are full of phyto-estrogens. How men over 50 do you know who say they need more estrogen in their body? Usually, if they want more hormones, they want more T.

Believe it or not, phyto-estrogens can be a problem for women too. Some have higher than normal estrogen levels (actually the ratio to progesterone is the problem) which can cause long term health problems.

Believe it or not, phyto-estrogens can be a problem for women too. Some have higher than normal estrogen levels (actually the ratio to progesterone is the problem) which can cause long term health problems.

Oh! But they're natural and bio-identical so they can't be bad! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom