Saving money on Medicare Part D

kevink

Full time employment: Posting here.
This is a bookmark-worthy post from the venerable ER pioneer John P. Greaney on negotiating the Part D quagmire. IMHO what makes it worth referring to repeatedly is the extensive series of links he provides to other resources - along with the reminder that all of this stuff really needs to be revisited annually.

https://retireearlyhomepage.com/medicare_partD_2021.html

Nice descriptive page.

I'd add one thing, where he says:
"Next, go to the Medicare website and click on the Part D "Find Health & Drug Plans" shopping app. Enter the medication names and doses for the prescriptions you take and select both a mail order and local pharmacy."

I'd change it to local pharmacies (including in stores, etc) list 4 of them.

As some are preferred and some are not and by simply changing pharmacy, more drugs may be covered or far cheaper.

I put my meds into the Medicare.gov tutorial, and I won't even hit the $485 per year deductible. I went with one of the cheapest monthly cost plan. I've been hoarding pills and have over 6 months' pills saved up after getting refills on 12/29/2020.

The gov't pushed Big Pharma to reduce the price of insulin vials from $315 each to a maximum of $35 a month. I have switched from Plan B to Plan D which will be a savings of $1500 a year..

I've mentioned it before, but my local Costco won't let you decide whether to use your insurance or buy cash price (with GoodRx coupon). If you have Part D insurance, they will only charge to that insurance. Oddly Fred Meyer pharmacy does let you choose.

Back
Top Bottom