Self-test for early detection of Alzheimer's

It's not an easy decision, hard to watch and hard on the patient. Watched both parents go through severe dementia. DM kept her sweet disposition throughout her ordeal, she appeared to become even kinder and more loving. DF got very mean and nasty, caused ontold numbers of problems for the family. I wish he could have confided in a family member, but that didn't happen.

One of the tests routinely run is 20-25 standard questions. Name, date, where are you? DF was far to the right of Genghis Kahn in his political beliefs. When the DR. asked who the current President was oh boy. DF went off, "he's no President". Then he proceeded to review every President that served back to and including FDR. Despite that his DR. knew he had issues. We found it odd, no one every questioned his ability to drive. He had sold his car a year prior but still had his license.

Alzheimer's is more of a default when other causes have been ruled out, and some, such as vascular dementia, can be stopped (but not reversed). Getting a good diagnosis early can make a big difference.

Sure, but we were talking (I thought) about this self-screening test and whether one would want to know the result on it. That is something to be used way before all those other causes would be ruled out. It seemed to me that imoldernu was advocating not even doing the screening test, let alone following it up to rule out other things.

Sure, but we were talking (I thought) about this self-screening test and whether one would want to know the result on it. That is something to be used way before all those other causes would be ruled out. It seemed to me that imoldernu was advocating not even doing the screening test, let alone following it up to rule out other things.
It's a terrible choice to have to make, and I don't think there is a right answer.

Part of the Medicare "Wellness" visit that our doctor gave my husband was: at the beginning of the visit he was given three words to remember. The rest of the visit progressed and at the end he was ask to recall the three words.

I might have had trouble with that one 30 years ago, never been good at that sort of thing. That's why I carried a small shirt pocket notebook and pen all the time.

My good friend was sadly diagnosed with Alzheimer's at age 62 but had to quit working at 54 due to memory issues. This person was brilliant at one time. However, she is on meds now that are helping her. That would be the reason to see a doc earlier rather then later.

From first hand experience.

The cruelest thing you can do is to pressure a senior to take this or any test of cognitive ability. The implications that come from "failing" are so devastating that the effective result is to place a pall on the remaining years.

Consider your own reaction, if the continuation of your drivers license depended on passing the test... and you failed. Only a small part of the psychological effect of seeing "final" stamped on life.

If and when a serious cure or amelioration is available, this will change, but as of now... testing?... no way!

Make your judgement when you get "there"... Presuming you know how you will feel about this then, may be premature.
I agree that this can be a problem. This devastated my FIL. In his cases the decline was obvious so all the testing did was document the degree. Some people realize the problem effecting themselves and want testing to help their family design a course of maintenance. In that case testing makes sense but I would be reluctant to impose it so the family has a tad more info. On the other hand, considerate neurological testing could address possible causes unrelated to Alzheimer's that could be treated. For example, lots of nursing home patients experience cognitive impairments from drug interactions. Bottom line for me is get an examination and try to avoid the conotation that you are documenting mental decline. Easier said than done although my brother achieved it with my SIL.

Last edited:
My good friend was sadly diagnosed with Alzheimer's at age 62 but had to quit working at 54 due to memory issues. This person was brilliant at one time. However, she is on meds now that are helping her. That would be the reason to see a doc earlier rather then later.

I agree.

If we suspected some one was likely to develop cancer would we advise them to avoid screening tests?

My Dad has Alzheimer's and it scares the bejesus out of me. But I took the test and will continue to be watchful about memory issues. Had I failed the test, I would seek medical treatment ASAP.

Not to be naïve but some times the longer we live, the greater the chance of medical technology improving management of the disease. I doubt a cure for the dreaded "A" is on the near horizon but simply slowing or halting the progression is a huge benefit.

Back
Top Bottom