Sell Rental Property?

Deeders

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi All,

I am Cyndee. I am new to these forums.

One issue I am currently grappling is whether to sell a rental property. Would welcome advice and insights from others who’ve done this.

I currently own a rental property in the Washington DC market. The property has appreciated significantly since we bought in 2014 ~180,000 and our tax advisor advised that since we lived in the property as a primary residence for more than two years, we would be able to take an exemption of capital gains (I am Foreign Service, so it’s 2 out of 10 years prior to sale) but would have to pay depreciation recapture. The depreciation tax would likely cause us a hit of ~28K federally and locally. And there’s selling costs, commissions, etc. I estimate that, once we pay the mortgage (we took a heloc from this recently to buy a house), we would probably net cash about $150,000 that we would put into other investments.

Or, we could just keep renting the property, which has current month-to-month tenants. Before the heloc, we were generating monthly rental income of $400. But with the heloc balance rolled in, we’re losing $400 monthly. (But as a whole, this reduces our net taxable income and also, we’re building equity). We need to raise the rental rate (we did not increase during the years renting because we have great tenants but we realize now we’ve fallen behind on the rental price) and the unit above which is laid out exactly the same currently rents for $700 more. But we wouldn’t raise until summer when rental market is better, and the increase will be gradual 1.5-2% a year. We have 20 years left on the mortgage.

I am leaning towards selling because it would reduce current cash flow pressures. My hesitation is that it’s been ingrained in me to always try to hold on to property for wealth building. But really, will I ever benefit from this?

If I sell, any advice on where to invest the cash?

We do not want to roll this into another property at this point because housing prices are just too crazy.

Thank you for reading.

I sold my rental last year. It was an easy decision for me. I no longer wanted the encumbrance in retirement and it almost tripled in value.

As for what to do with the proceeds, the easy answer is to invest it in the same proportions as your current allocation unless you need the cash for something else.

Make sure you understand the taxes. Rental estate has a few more nuances than your personal taxes.

Agree with COcheesehead. It seems that your life would be less complicated by selling. Taking advantage of the cap gains rule is good while you are eligible. If you want to keep the money in similar real estate type investment, you could put it into a REIT.

I would lean towards selling now as well, in part to take advantage of the principal residence exemption of the gain while you can.

The depreciation recapture obligation will only grow the longer you have the property but is offset by depreciation tax benefits so that is arguably close to a wash depending on your tax bracket, but the principal residence exemption of the gain will fall off a cliff at some point if you keep it.

If I read your OP correctly it sounds like the property currently cash flows at $400/month but would be more like $1,100/month if you increased the rent to a market rent but that you are reluctant to do so for good tenants in place.

As to where to invest $150k proceeds, that is a tough question right now... but even if you just put in in an online savings account to have dry powder to buy on the dip that might not be the worst thing in the world. Or you could dollar cost average in over 15 months by buying $10k a month for 15 months.

You mention "cash flow pressures"... do you have an debt other than the home equity loan that will be paid off with the sale of the investment property?

And as COcheesehead mentions, getting rid of the rental will simpify your life and there is some value to that.

I agree with the other posters, unless you are retiring this year and would be a in a lower tax bracket next year. You shouldn't count the HELOC on that property (which you used to buy your home) against the cash flow of the income property since it is a living expense for yourself. You should however increase rents.
I own properties and have considered selling, but my tax bite is making me hesitate. I do tend to not raise rents too much while having great tenants since it helps keep them in place, but rents are changed to market rents when tenants turn over. In your case it seems like it has gone awry a bit being so far off market rents.

Go ahead and take advantage of your capital gains exlusions while you have that opportunity.

My father left me real estate when he passed. If you love your children, you won't leave them real estate. It worked for him, it was a disaster for us.

Sell it and investment money in a REIT. REITs don't call you in the middle of the night when the toilet overlflows.

My rentals are all up in value and I was considering selling one that is the highest. But pesky taxes make it less attractive. Your tax situation sounds like it is worth it.

Ideally I would keep extracting the appreciation by tax free borrowing instead.

I say sell, as it sounds like you are a soft landlord.

I'm sure your tenant appreciated the zero rent increases, but it left you far behind.

I would think you need to raise the rent each year by: inflation + $100 , and doing so it will still take you 4 yrs to catch up to the market rate.

I have rental I was not planning to sell, but am now thinking maybe I should as the prices will go down as interest rates rise.

I had kept it thinking I would move back there, but after 20 years of renting it, I can say for sure I won't move back.

I say sell, as it sounds like you are a soft landlord.

I'm sure your tenant appreciated the zero rent increases, but it left you far behind.

I would think you need to raise the rent each year by: inflation + $100 , and doing so it will still take you 4 yrs to catch up to the market rate. ...

+1 I have a friend who has a good tenant who hasn't raised the tenant's rent in 10 years despite my encouraging him to do so. My friend will be retiring soon and the apartment rent will be part of what he will live on so I'm hoping he'll see the light, but I doubt it.

I can see keeping rent increases and rent below market to keep a prized tenant, but no need to overdo it.

If your annual net income from the property plus appreciation is better than you can get elsewhere I would hold it. I think of real estate as one leg oh my 3 leg asset allocation plan. 1/3 of my NW is investment real estate but I include my vacation home there as it rents out on AirBnB and more than covers is costs and instill have a great 2nd home I love

When I married in 2007, we moved to another county. Because the housing market was in the dumper, I rented out the condo I used to live in.
That was great with the first tenant, who was there 3 years, but only had a rental for a year to the next two.
As you did, I took out a HELOC to buy our new home.

By the time I had the place fixed up to rent again, I had a cash flow of $400 for the year. At that time the market had recovered, so I sold it.
It appears that everyone here tells you to sell it also.

There is a minority on the forum that like rentals. Out of state rentals, managed by someone else, have been fantastic for us since 2008 but the stocks have been pretty amazing also.

Taxes on sale are the biggest hurdle.

I'm a big fan of RRE but taking advantage of capital gains tax free is very valuable. But if you are $700/month under the market for rent, then I'd pro forma your negative $400 to +$300 and get market rate (or close to it) pronto.

Here is what I do to compare to stocks on my rentals

Net cash flow (including a maintenance reserve) / equity = x%
+principal paydown / equity = y%
+appreciation (usually model 3%) / equity = z%

Then add x+y+z together and compare to the historical market returns of stock. Usually rental income is better return than the market but you also have to add in the hassle of renters vs none with market plus obviously less liquid than the market. So for me, I expect rentals to be at least 2x the return of the S&P when I invest and usually get more like 3-4x the first few years. With appreciation up 15-20% in the last year, it's more like 10x+ recently.

For people that like rentals but not the hassle, I've been suggesting (and investing some) into Fundrise

Last edited:
I am selling two rental properties this month. I am tired of being a landlord, of dealing with renters, and the oppressive laws against landlords being passed. It's turned out to be a giant hassle.
I am not sure where I will be investing the proceeds.

Back
Top Bottom