Senate unveils Healthcare bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also just like the AHCA, it raises the max premiums ratio from 3 to 1 under ACA to 5 to 1.

If one of the goals is to increase competition, one thing that seems to work pretty well in every other industry is competition.

Any indication that this bill will allow for purchase of health insurance across state lines?

The ACA allows purchase across state lines, but so far no one has bothered to do that. As Golden Sunsets pointed out above, it's a pretty complex thing to do because the insurance companies have to set up contracts with new provider networks in the new states.

It's also not clear that selling across state lines would save any money. After all, California is larger than Canada and costs are still much higher.

Last edited:
That wont pass the senate. Smartest thing Trump could do is go to a Medicare for all system where everybody is covered 100 percent, no copays and meds 2 bucks. Way cheaper then Obamacare and the nation becomes much healthier. Gets the profit motive out of healthcare and we can get rid of Cigna, Kaiser etc. Healthcare is just to much a worry for us retirees in the states. I have even considered moving to Canada as my grandfather is from Toronto.

For those with silver plans, it also repeals the cost sharing reduction. Sec 208 at the very end repeals ACA section 1402.

That wont pass the senate. Smartest thing Trump could do is go to a Medicare for all system where everybody is covered 100 percent, no copays and meds 2 bucks. Way cheaper then Obamacare and the nation becomes much healthier. Gets the profit motive out of healthcare and we can get rid of Cigna, Kaiser etc. Healthcare is just to much a worry for us retirees in the states. I have even considered moving to Canada as my grandfather is from Toronto.

There are certain things that are attractive about that, but as I understand it, Medicare is in deep financial trouble (worse than SocSec), so I fear that just throws high costs where they are less transparent, and probably makes things worse in the long run?

I know, other countries do it, but there are differences that may not apply here in the US for whatever reason. Those countries have govt funded schools, and generally get better results for less spending than we do. I think US govt run health care would be in that same boat.

No easy answers. -ERD50

There is not a snowball's chance in hell of this ever being passed, so don't worry (or celebrate, as the case might be.) Goodies can only be taken away after a non-democratic putsch.

We are still along way from this, so I think the only change that might be politically possible is something that sounds like more and better free care-ie. health care taken over by the federal government. "Goodies for me, increased taxes only for some bad person."

Ha

Last edited:
So much for an informed and intelligent discussion of a health care bill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom