Serious Vent! Being a Parent Can Often Suck!

That does suck and is a gut punch. Let's hope that they come back with a favorable outcome later.

I like Jerry's idea of having him respon and telling them how excited he and his parents were to hear that he had been accepted and that he is disappointed that it was an administrative snafu but is hopeful that when they complete consideration of his application that he will be accepted. If he is on the bubble it might help.

...How does a university screw up in that regard?...

Perhaps after sending the email the university realized that they had neglected to make room for Lori Loughlin's daughter. :D

Last edited:
You have probably done this already. If not look into small schools for his pt education. No one looks at where you went to school in medical field. There are not enough people to do jobs so a body with a lic is what they are looking at. Good luck keep trying it will work out in the end

Maybe your son should consider a response letter (e-mail) that would put him in a good light? Not really my forte, but something along the lines of thank you and that it was exciting while it lasted and that he's hopeful of a positive outcome. The point is to say something positive and maybe get a little bump from it, no matter how unlikely.

+1

My niece did the same thing--working as a PT Assistant in a very prestigious orthopedic clinic. She was trying to get into medical school.

Come to find out, there are three stages of admittance into the Physical Therapist school. The final one comes down to GPA, and if one doesn't have a 3.7 GPA they don't get into PT school. When it comes to GPA, there are more women that rate--vs. men with slightly lower GPA's.

Virtually every Physical Therapist can get into Medical School. Far fewer Medical Students can ever get admittance into PT School, however. That kind of sucks, huh?

Congratulations to your son. We need more good PT's.

One Year Update: my son never did hear back from that school that sent out the erroneous email, but he did get into a DPT program in Austin, TX. He is finishing up his 2nd trimester and he absolutely loves it. He is thriving and I have never seen my child more focused/driven. Very grateful and relieved after the drama of one year ago.

That's wonderful news Kevin! Thanks for the update.

Thank you for the update, and it is great that he is driven and focused. This is going to turn out well!

Always love hearing about young people who are finding their way in life and will make a positive contribution to society. Thanks for sharing!

One Year Update: my son never did hear back from that school that sent out the erroneous email, but he did get into a DPT program in Austin, TX. He is finishing up his 2nd trimester and he absolutely loves it. He is thriving and I have never seen my child more focused/driven. Very grateful and relieved after the drama of one year ago.
That's great news, congrats to him! My wife is about halfway through her DPT program with a university in Philly, PA -- a long-time goal for her, put on hold while she was in the military, and finally getting it done in her mid-30s. From what I can tell, it's definitely got to be a passion to follow & succeed at it ... when she talks about bones & muscles that she's studying, it's basically like me talking stocks/bonds at her. :LOL:

:dance::dance::dance:

Cheers to both of you!

erkevin--So sorry your son is experiencing this. Hopefully, he will be chosen again.

As parents, it is so difficult to watch our kids go through hard times, but also an unfortunate part of life and seeing how they get through it and persevere can be heart warming.

My wife and often count our blessings with mostly trouble free children.

The only two incidents that even register is when my daughter was 15 she, ahem, borrowed our pickup truck to go see a girlfriend at work during the friends break time. It was raining and when she turned at a major intersection, the truck fishtailed*, she over corrected and hit a telephone pole. She wasn't hurt, luckily all I had to replace was the bumper which I did myself. However, the telephone pole had a transformer on it, it broke in half and it was a major rewiring job, they moved that pole across the street and redid the wires. That was $8,000, which after $100 a month for about 3 years I got cut in half.

The other incident was my son was at University living with his two year older sister, she got married and moved, leaving him alone. I guess the structure of at least having his sister around kept him focused, after she left he flunked out. He was out for a year working and then for a reason we still don't know, he made the decision to go back to school and get a chemistry degree.
Both doing well in their jobs.

* the truck a Chevy S-10, is very light in the rear and is easily prone to sliding when wet or spinning the wheels, with very little gas pedal pressure.

A couple years ago she was driving in light rain, cold weather, and crossed a bridge that iced up and totaled a Toyota SUV, She was the second vehicle already wrecked there, and the tow truck driver said this a regular area for accidents. She was fine and her dog was fine, but he was mad he had to ride on the back of the tow truck in his dog crate. :(

Back
Top Bottom