Shingles risk with COVID vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. My sister, just sent me an email. She and husband, both
received, Moderna. They both, had shingles shot years earlier. Husband,
had "something" on his back. They took picture of it. Sent it to Md.
MD, said it was "Shingles". But because, husband was vaccinated. It
"cured" itself. No major issues.

If your sister and her husband had the shingles vaccine years ago they probably had the old shingles vaccine which was not very effective. If that is the case they should get the newer Shingrix vaccine which is 95% effective.

If your sister and her husband had the shingles vaccine years ago they probably had the old shingles vaccine which was not very effective. If that is the case they should get the newer Shingrix vaccine which is 95% effective.

You are correct. Sister/Husband, received original shingles shot. But did
receive the "newer" one also. Good information.

I think, I never got the "newer" shingles shot. Too lazy...

You are correct. Sister/Husband, received original shingles shot. But did
receive the "newer" one also. Good information.

I think, I never got the "newer" shingles shot. Too lazy...

I had the old shingles shot and still got a fairly bad case of shingles. That old shot did not work very well so I hope you will get the newer Shingrix shot. Don't be lazy, get the Shingrix shot!

I had the old shingles shot and still got a fairly bad case of shingles. That old shot did not work very well so I hope you will get the newer Shingrix shot. Don't be lazy, get the Shingrix shot!

+1
I had a nurse and a doctor (different offices in different States) tell me the old shingles vaccine was only good for about five years.

+1
I had a nurse and a doctor (different offices in different States) tell me the old shingles vaccine was only good for about five years.

I think they said which was the reason for waiting until 60 to get the old vaccine. My DH got a mild case of shingles at about 9 years 7 months past vaccine.

+1
The Zostovax vaccine was taken off the US market last November. I don't know the exact reason. It's possible that there was little demand for it after Shingrix was introduced. It's also possible that the numerous lawsuits against the maker of Zostovax played a part.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In another thread about shingles, I posted the following more than a year ago (which I just realized was a reply to a similar post by you :) ):

My current Doc told me the five year limit also, as my five years had just arrived. The subject came up because I had shingles the week after my 60th birthday, and had to get the old shot after my initial outbreak. The first year after that was fine, but each subsequent year I could feel the shingles trying to come back. The nurse said it probably was nerve damage, but each subsequent year it was slightly more of the pre-outbreak feeling, and in different places than the original attack. I was about to get a repeat shot of the original vaccine when the new shot came out. After the first shot, and ever since, I've never had any feeling of recurrence of the feelings of shingles coming back.
Actually, a study by Kaiser using data from their large population of patients in northern California showed that after 8 years, the Zostovax vaccine still had an effectiveness rate against shingles of 31.8%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29309521

The Zostovax vaccine was taken off the US market last November. I don't know the exact reason. It's possible that there was little demand for it after Shingrix was introduced. It's also possible that the numerous lawsuits against the maker of Zostovax played a part.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In another thread about shingles, I posted the following more than a year ago (which I just realized was a reply to a similar post by you :) ):

Actually, a study by Kaiser using data from their large population of patients in northern California showed that after 8 years, the Zostovax vaccine still had an effectiveness rate against shingles of 31.8%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29309521

:LOL: That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

But when I originally got the old vaccine at Kaiser in Colorado, they acted like it was a lifetime shot. Others recalled being told that also, by other doctors. That clearly was not the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom