Shooting for 60

chrisaukcam

Recycles dryer sheets
Just subscribed. 51 now working as a computer programmer and am hoping to do an early retirement at 60.

I had a heart attack at age 41 and want to make sure I have some time to relax and work on the things that I want to work on. I will probably have to do some part time work initially. But I plan to apply for Social Security at age 62 and that will help supplement my income when those checks start to come in. Also we can get Medicare at that time.

And with the new health care laws as I understand it, if your income is under a certain level, the government will subsidize your health care insurance. So that will help cover the gap from retirement until we are old enough for Medicare.

Also as an ace in the hole, our place is paid for (small farm). So if funds run low we can cash in our chips on our property and find a place to rent.

Found this website and am scouring it for tips. Doing the retirement calculators it looks like we will have to cash in our property at some point. I think the one calculator showed a %39 chance of success with our current projections. May look at a reverse mortgage so we can stay in the house and let someone else work the farmland.

Welcome aboard Chris. While I have been spared the heart attack so far, I am acutely aware that heart disease runs in the family. That colors my view on how long I want to work.

Last edited:
Just subscribed. 51 now working as a computer programmer and am hoping to do an early retirement at 60.
Welcome to the forum.
But I plan to apply for Social Security at age 62 and that will help supplement my income when those checks start to come in. Also we can get Medicare at that time.
SS at 62 yes but Medicare is 65.

Back
Top Bottom