Smallest retirement portfolio (successful) you've heard of

When my Dad passed away, we dug into the records and figured out that my Mom had $70k. And my Dad hadn't worked any appreciable amount in 10-15 years. After she moved to an $800 apartment (that included all meals - believe it or not. It was really just a converted hotel room), we sold her house and got her to $100k. She was fine on the ~$800 SS check until she had to move to the home and then the cash disappeared like nothing you've ever seen.

Point is - she lived BYM and has happy in her little room and had a lot of nice friends and social life. If her health had held out, she would have been just fine and the $$ would have held out just fine. You know the old saying - if you have your health, you have everything.

+1 on multiple threads, same subject. Let it go where it will, or in the case of a recent post, our sharp moderators have been great in merging the posts, without stepping on toes.
........................................................................................

No offence, but I have difficulty even talking about averages, or amounts needed, or portfolios... and then qualifying amounts by not including pensions or Social Security, or house values, or cost of Living increases... and then, compounding the equation by deciding on amounts to withdraw, while not touching the portfolio or total assets, and then in some cases, setting aside an emergency fund.

Then, adding to the confusion, talking about a pension... Like, how much of a pension? $100,000/yr.? or maybe $12,000. Then, is that amount for one person? Two persons? Is the SS $25,000 for one person or two?

With two people each drawing pensions of $75,000/yr, LEAST assets might well be zero.

Gets confusing.

....................................................................................................

But back to the intent of the post... we retired 24 years ago, at age 53, with much less than a million dollars in total assets... but that was when interest rates were as much as 12%, a 2400 sf home was less than $100,000, gas was about $1.25 gal., cigarettes were $7 carton, healthcare cost was about $1200/yr, hamburg was $.89 lb, and a top shelf drink at a bar was $1.75.

I'd certainly have a different viewpoint if I were retiring today, even if SS and healthcare were to remain stable, considering the 17 Trillion in national debt, and wondering if there were any alternatives to high inflation in the 14 years between age 53 and SS at 67.

What sounds to me to be incredible fortunes of $1.5Million to $5 Million, have to be looked at in terms of one's age today.

Those of us with lifetime outlooks of 10 to 20 years are certainly in a very different situation than those who have to look at 35 years of retirement.

At this point in our life, we (DW and I), look at the number of years that we have to finance, with our current income and assets. Much easier to do when one has a measurable horizon.

For those who are considering early retirement between age 50 and 60, the good part of making the decision is that the real safety net, is the ability to go back to work, full or part time if conditions change. After age 65, that option is limited.

Lastly, in partial answer to the intent of the original question... the amount needed is what the individual decides. In our case, we changed our spending, not according to what we "needed", but changed our "needs" according to what we had.

It worked out so that we were able to do and have more than we ever expected, and are comfortable with looking at the future, though not rich in terms of dollars.

I retired with a $2k a month pension, and an inheritance that included a house and $100k in a bank account. No problems.

I have an in-law that has effectively been retired since about age 45. He sold some rental properties and was living off that. He gets the occasional part time job (delivering groceries, doing lawncare at a cemetary) but loses those jobs within 6 months and they're never more than 20 hours/week. But it restarts unemployment. He's got a paid for house. He keeps his income low to qualify for healthcare and other public subsidies. His plan is to keep it going till SS age... (in about 5 years) then if he needs more money he'll do a reverse mortgage.

The $100k approx, he had when he first started this is probably down to $20k. He's hoping to hang in till age 62 when SS kicks in. His back up plan is to reverse mortgage the house. (worth about 100k).
But I guess there are minimum age limites for that too.

He regularly complains how broke he is... But he is also unwilling to work a full time job.

Given his history and age now, he's probably unemployable at this point.

When you're under the age of about 60, and live on minimal income, there's a fine line between being "ER" and being a "bum". In some people's eyes, the receipt of government money is the defining factor.

Back
Top Bottom