So how are we doing from March 2009 low?

I should add that the way I calculated my portfolio value / net worth was different than today's way. Since I joined this website a year or two ago, I have been learning about the NPV of pensions, etc which are now factored in my calculations.
I am also in the accumulation phase and I guess my portfolio is about twice as large as what it was in 2009.

I should add that the way I calculated my portfolio value / net worth was different than today's way. Since I joined this website a year or two ago, I have been learning about the NPV of pensions, etc which are now factored in my calculations.
NPVs of pensions may be nice to include in net worth calculations but since I am retired I do not include them nor any other asset that's unlikely to be sold or otherwise actively managed in my investment portfolio performance monitoring. In some respects I consider my pensions to be a revenue complement to sunk costs.

Last edited:
After reading a few posts on this topic on this website, I decided to include the NPV of my pension benefit but not the NPV of my SS benefit. My calculations may change again in the future...

NPVs of pensions may be nice to include in net worth calculations but since I am retired I do not include them nor any other asset that's unlikely to be sold or otherwise actively managed in my investment portfolio performance monitoring.

After reading a few posts on this topic on this website, I decided to include the NPV of my pension benefit but not the NPV of my SS benefit. My calculations may change again in the future...
In most instances I guess you could consider it to be a very fixed component of your fixed asset allocation. Of course you could have 'fun' recalculating it with different discount rates and changing years-to-go based on changes to life expectancies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom