So how do you tell 'when' you are retired?

...I actually never talk to anyone about being retired, or semi-retired, not even friends or family. Most of them can't wrap their head around the idea that you can retire early, etc. But they also tend to live beyond their means, or have the latest toys, etc. This board is a nice oasis for me as there are like minded people here, so it makes me feel so not alone :)....

Okay, in that case, here's your secret password to be used only on this board: "Pssst, I'm pretty much retired!" with a big old smile on your face. When you're ready, just ask someone to teach you the secret handshake.

I am kind of in the same position. I call myself Semi Retired as you can see by my user name. Just cannot bring myself to pull the plug and use the word Retired or Fully yet. I still work (here and there on special projects) so I am not Fully Retired... I went part time or into Semi status in 2008 (economic stresses on the company and I volunteered) as a transition period. Right now trying to decide if I can or if I want to fully pull the plug and retire - part of the reason for joining this forum.

You have what most would want with you being able to pick and choose - just remember that as you turn down more - less will come your way as the word gets out that you are turning offers down - that is what has been happening to me over the last 8 months or so and is why I am considering either changing careers in what I do in my Semi mode or just pulling the plug all together...

Back
Top Bottom