Social Security PIA

RASAP

Recycles dryer sheets
In 2018 the wife decided she wanted to start taking her social security early (at age 63). Along with her doing that, I filed for spousal benefits. Neither one of us have had any earned income since 2015. Mid 2022 I will turn 70 and we will switch - I will file for my full benefits and she will file for spousal benefits.

Back before she filed, we could go to our My Social Security account and see what our PIA was. Now that we are receiving benefits we no longer see that information (unless I just can't find it.)

What I am wondering is, since I have been receiving only spousal benefits for the last few years, has my PIA amount changed (COLA increases:confused:), or is it the same as it was a few years ago since I have not had any earned income? If it does change, how can I find out what my current PIA is?

The best way to get accurate benefits information is by downloading the detailed SS calculator from ssa.gov. Link here: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/anypia/anypia.html

The anypia application is updated each year to incorporate the updated COLA so you will need to download a new copy each year.

You will need to enter each year's earning the first time. Subsequent years with new anypia updated app, you do not need to enter your earnings record again.

I don't know if the 2015 Filing Rules for File and Suspend affect you or not. From my calculation, your wife falls under the new ruling but you should be under the old ruling.

Back
Top Bottom