Social Security questions

palomalou

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a couple of questions for the brilliant minds here. Having searched the web and the SS site, I cannot see whether they determine the amount based on when you FILE, or when you begin to RECEIVE. Anybody know?
I watched a video from a financial planner who calculated a number of different scenarios (age of filing, expenses, market return, inflation, age of death) and calculated end-of-life amounts for each. In most cases, FRA was as good as age 70. SInce one doesn't know which of those scenarios one might experience, I've been considering going ahead and filing at age 67 and 6 months right now. I would be almost 68 when I began to draw. I have had cancer 8 times over the last 30 years from a genetic mutation though at the moment am holding my own and have outlived my mother, also affected by the condition, by more than ten years. Actually, in Canada I would have been automatically placed on disability 6 years ago, but function fine. Anyway, that is the reason for the first question, in knowing what to project. We do have enough assets that it seems a bit less important than it might be had we fewer (def. have fewer than many here!).
Thanks for reading this long post if you did. Happy FIRE to all!

Doesn't the SSA.gov site have a graduated scale that you can slide over to the actual time you want to claim/receive?

Yes, but it doesn't distinguish/specify claim from receive.

Yes, but it doesn't distinguish/specify claim from receive.

I don’t believe you can claim more than about 3 months in advance. When my wife claimed hers in early 2021 it took 10 months from submitting the claim to receiving her SS, but it was all backdated to the date she had requested it to start, not from they received her claim.

Super, Alan! I knew about the 3 months, but you answered my important question! Thanks!

I applied for SS back in June for Sept. 1 start date (65 yr old). My FRA according to ssa.gov before I signed up ended up being less than my SS at 65. I thought the big increase was next year in 2023. That was good news!

From my experience it’s the month you are requesting to begin benefits.
I requested in October to begin benefits in January to be received in February.
Prorated amount began in January. The month I requested my benefits to begin.

Realizing you've already gotten your question answered, I would still suggest you might want to check out the site opensocialsecurity.com Among other info, it has a tool to help you project different outcomes & tell you which is best in your specific case. Mike Piper maintains the site & is terrific.

If you already past FRA and would like to apply now for starting in about 4 months, you might as well start in Jan. of 2023 (paid in Feb. of 2023). So you could get your full delayed credit right away.

Thanks people. I think I know what I will be doing on Jan. 1, 2023. It does say in tiny print if you file on this month, though if they take 10 months to start, that would be weird.

Back
Top Bottom