Some Medicare Advantage plans now paying your utility bill?

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got a letter telling me I could get a Medicare Advantage health plan that would help pay my 'utility bill'. Just mail back my phone number and I would get a call.

What in the world ?

Anyone else hear of this?

Many MA plans give money back in one form or another- dollar rebates, grocery gift cards, allowance of out-of-pocket meds, etc.

My jaundiced point of view: they get $X per insured (adjusted upward if insured is high risk) and that's what they have to pay out in the form of claims and rebates. More rebates means fewer $$ left for treatments, procedures and prescriptions. Fine if you don't have any health issues.

I got a letter telling me I could get a Medicare Advantage health plan that would help pay my 'utility bill'. Just mail back my phone number and I would get a call.

What in the world ?

Yes, it depends on your income. If you are low income, many plans have a special MA plan that has lower premiums and includes various supplemental payments (depends on the state). What the OP got was a sales pitch from an agent.

Bottom-line: CMS is trying to assure that those who don't qualify for SSI get some assistance with covering basic needs. In addition most everyone on a MA will get some type of debit card to cover things like OTC items from a drug store. Each carrier must include something or they won't be able to sell MA.

- Rita

Curious what would be "low income" in this context if anyone knows.

I won't be using MA unless by the time I am 65 there are no options but still . . .

I won't be using MA unless by the time I am 65 there are no options but still . . .

For ACA / CoveredCa here, it is a multiple of the federal poverty level. I forget what the multiple was maybe 2 - 4, depending?

People are easily fooled. Wait till you need something important/expensive done ....... DENIED! You get what you pay for.

Interesting. It says they give extra consideration over age 60 or under 6.

If memory serves me correctly that is due to the potential vulnerability/health issues those age groups might have due to not having utilities.
I wouldn’t let not being in that age group keep me from contacting them. Even if they can’t help they may know of another program that can.

I seem to recall that the government is charging almost all MA providers with fraud amounting to billions... WTH! Maybe that's a source of budget cuts so we can get a debt ceiling extension.

It's not a rule for MA, it is a rule for Medicare and it's clearly stated in the Medicare handbook.

Here’s a link to Medicare website showing 4 assistance programs (here). Like Medicaid they are federal programs administered by the states

What in the world ?

Yes, I overheard someone talking to a customer comparing plans and how much was offered for utilities and food purchases by each plan.

I seem to recall that the government is charging almost all MA providers with fraud amounting to billions... WTH! Maybe that's a source of budget cuts so we can get a debt ceiling extension.

Found it. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/08/...8gH_k2CSbwXyr6d3G3MtI_6gsmxLgV&smid=url-share

The health system Kaiser Permanente called doctors in during lunch and after work and urged them to add additional illnesses to the medical records of patients they hadn’t seen in weeks. Doctors who found enough new diagnoses could earn bottles of Champagne, or a bonus in their paycheck.

Anthem, a large insurer now called Elevance Health, paid more to doctors who said their patients were sicker. And executives at UnitedHealth Group, the country’s largest insurer, told their workers to mine old medical records for more illnesses — and when they couldn’t find enough, sent them back to try again.

Each of the strategies — which were described by the Justice Department in lawsuits against the companies — led to diagnoses of serious diseases that might have never existed. But the diagnoses had a lucrative side effect: They let the insurers collect more money from the federal government’s Medicare Advantage program.

Medicare Advantage, a private-sector alternative to traditional Medicare, was designed by Congress two decades ago to encourage health insurers to find innovative ways to provide better care at lower cost. If trends hold, by next year, more than half of Medicare recipients will be in a private plan.

But a New York Times review of dozens of fraud lawsuits, inspector general audits and investigations by watchdogs shows how major health insurers exploited the program to inflate their profits by billions of dollars.

The government pays Medicare Advantage insurers a set amount for each person who enrolls, with higher rates for sicker patients. And the insurers, among the largest and most prosperous American companies, have developed elaborate systems to make their patients appear as sick as possible, often without providing additional treatment, according to the lawsuits.

As a result, a program devised to help lower health care spending has instead become substantially more costly than the traditional government program it was meant to improve.

Eight of the 10 biggest Medicare Advantage insurers — representing more than two-thirds of the market — have submitted inflated bills, according to the federal audits. And four of the five largest players — UnitedHealth, Humana, Elevance and Kaiser — have faced federal lawsuits alleging that efforts to overdiagnose their customers crossed the line into fraud. ...

Here’s a link to Medicare website showing 4 assistance programs (here). Like Medicaid they are federal programs administered by the states
These are Medicare Savings Programs (MSPs), they are not related to Medicare Advantage programs offering perks like debit cards or gym memberships.

MSPs are for people with low income and assets (in most states) that pays for Medicare out of pocket costs, it is funded by Medicaid, but not considered Medicaid. It is also a way in to Social Security Extra Help for Part D.

Last edited:

What in the world ?

Be careful, sounds like a scam. They are probably fishing dual eligibles (Medicare/Medicaid).

Back
Top Bottom