Sources for long term vacation rentals

sheilaemmy

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi All-
I've recently retired and am looking for a resource(s) for long term vacation rentals as I start to travel more seriously. What are the best options for finding month long or 6 month long (or something in between)? IMO, VRBO doesn't seem well suited for this. And it doesn't need to be geographically specific, I could go to Asia, S. America, Europe....just looking for options.

Thanks!

I use HomeAway, VRBO (owned by same co) craigslist, and occasionally I search but have never yet booked directly with locally sourced rental agencies.

I usually set a per/day max, and look at how responsive the people are. If in US I look at owner history (newer owners tend to be more eager to be competitive with rates as they have a higher risk being new to market). I don't spend more than $200/nt and longer term sometimes offers a good deal. My latest host offered to book us an extra week for 10% less during high season FL. Just gotta ask, and sometimes cash is king but with liabilities.

Example of cash is king, I asked a friend living on Maui if they could suggest a place to stay. They suggested a friend, and he only took cash, but it was an incredible rate, walking distance to best maui beaches.

Seemed like little to no risk to book with him. Again, they were responsive on phone and in email so I felt good when we landed. Sometimes you think, is it too good to be true? Most times it is, this time, it was awesome!

One month shouldn't be a problem, six maybe a little problematic. Are you going to have a long lead time?

It seems like a year rental would be easier then a 6 month...then use can use a real estate agent.. are you willing to travel in off peak. I see an issue with a 6 or 12 site unseen lease as the place might not be acceptable.

AirBnB is huge worldwide. CraigsList is also.worldwide.

+1 on AIRBNB. I've enjoyed my stays find the value great. I do my research and try to book early. We're headed to Europe in September and plan to stay at AIRBNB exclusively (except for last night when we'll want an airport shuttle).

Happy sojourning!

Another fan of Airbnb here, especially for long-term stays. Many of the listings give a discount off the nightly rate for stays longer than 28 days (I *think* it's 28 days, might be 30). You'll see the discounted rates if you search based on your full stay length.

We just booked a stay through Airbnb in Santa Barbara for a month in a nice walkable location. Some locations (SB is one of them) have restrictions on shorter-term rentals in certain zones, so it's good to do a little research when considering popular locations to make sure that you aren't booking something illegal.

Previously we have stayed 1 month in Copenhagen and 1 month in Stockholm using Airbnb, both very positive experiences.

In 2014, we found a great apartment on Airbnb in Barcelona and ended up booking it for 2 months through its proprietary website (they offered a slight discount this way, but it was a bit more risky). Also a great stay, right in the heart of the Barri Gotic.

In 2011 we booked 10 weeks in Paris through an agency called Paris Attitude. It was an amazing location, but they didn't disclose that the place was for sale before we booked so we had to deal with multiple showings while we were there. It was a minor inconvenience, but something we ask about now when we book.

We prefer to stay at places that have multiple reviews. I feel a little more secure knowing that others have stayed at that location before and had a good experience, although if a property is a new listing the owner might be willing to bargain for a longer term stay, as kgtest mentions.

The other thing with Airbnb is just to be aware of the cancellation policy for the rental. Definitely read it through before you click to book, especially if your plans aren't set in stone. Some have a strict cancellation policy where you forfeit the first month's rent if you cancel.

Congrats on your retirement and enjoy your travels!

We have used VRBO about 25 times, and have never been disappointed by what we encountered. The website usually has lots of photos of each room, and lots of accurate feedback from actual customers. They have gotten a bit more expensive with their "service fee", but still a much better option for us than standard hotels. We like to cook our own food while traveling, so units with kitchens are essential. And you can usually correspond with the actual owner of the property. So if you are looking at an extended stay, a better negotiated rate is often possible.

We're staying oceanfront in the Bahamas right now on a long term rental. 1 month for $2300. That's half the nightly rate. No negotiation required, since the monthly rental rate was automatically offered.

We probably could have found a cheaper/better place if we searched local listings, craigslist, message boards, etc but I find the Airbnb backing and extensive reviews to bring peace of mind. Worst case, we cancel the booking if it's really horrible, get a full refund, and book somewhere else through Airbnb. Not likely to happen if you're dealing with an uncooperative individual or company in a foreign jurisdiction with limited recourse.

Airbnb probably isn't best for 6 months. Local real estate agents or getting involved in locals' message boards might be better bet. That plus talking to plenty of places that do weekly or monthly rentals and seeing if you can negotiate a good rate for a multi-month rental. Might be doable if you don't mind staying in the off season, or don't mind switching units to fill whatever vacancies arise.

We used to go with Wimdu, House Trip, and Airbnb....but in the last few trips it's almost exclusively Airbnb.

We read the reviews, focus on Airbnb 'Superhosts', and discard anyone who has cancelled without supplying sufficient notice*.

(*We realize that there are occasions when extenuating circumstances arise, but we don't put ourselves in jeopardy if we can easily avoid it.)

Fuego had a really good tip that often gets over looked. Facebook pages for real estate rentals! We've never actually booked through any of the people on the one for the place we stay frequently as we have historically used VRBO for month+ rentals but there is certainly alot offered on those FB pages.

Also, zillow is another place I found that you can find longer term rentals (6-12 months)

I've had the best luck with AirBnB and HomeAway, including for rentals up to 5+ months.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm just starting to toy around with longer term rentals and appreciate all the insights.

Another vote for HomeAway/VRBO and airbnb. If you are talking 3-6 months, decide on location and look up local listings on real estate sites. We rent for 5-6 months each year and list our property with Remax. We want the screening help. We will take shorter if the tenant is perfect.

We’ve had very good luck with VRBO and have used them a lot. We’re starting to use airbnb more and found some places that look great in Greece through their website. I would only use Craigslist if I could see the property first ... have heard too much about scams on Craigslist.

Congratulations on your retirement!

+1 for VRBO. Have used several times in US and Caribbean without any issues. I haven't used Airbnb but son has had good experiences.

Minimize risk by picking properties with multiple reviews, responsive owners/managers, and understanding the fees and cancellation policy. I always ask the owner to email me a complete listing of all costs and fees I will need to pay. I have found some owners don't include sales tax, resort fees, pet fees, required damage insurance, etc. in their price listed on-line.

I used a realtor last year when I had trouble finding a property in the Florida Keys. I was nervous because there were no reviews available on the property or the realtor/manager. However, we had a good experience.

Trip Advisor Forums can be good for finding reliable local sources for listings.

Happy travels!

A very specific site is nicepebbles.com who manage a bunch of properties in Nice. Very good manager.

Hi All-
I've recently retired and am looking for a resource(s) for long term vacation rentals as I start to travel more seriously. What are the best options for finding month long or 6 month long (or something in between)? IMO, VRBO doesn't seem well suited for this. And it doesn't need to be geographically specific, I could go to Asia, S. America, Europe....just looking for options.

Thanks!
Another option is to search places that are seasonal in demand. We've lived in Western NC and SW VA in tourist/seasonal locales. Spring and summer where always in high demand. Winter time, rates would sometimes be 1/3 to peak summer costs.

Craigslist is a good resource to directly communicate with individuals who are willing to deal. Like others here, my wife and I went to Europe a few years ago and exclusively used VRBO for our 3 week trip. We would have used AirBnB if known then.

Back
Top Bottom