Stockpiling Food

Another very odd thing about that experience was that when we ordered our pizza, it was delivered by one of the "enemy" trainers we had in the resistance lab. And no, he did NOT get a tip. :D

Oh man, THAT's harsh. He did his job and made you a better soldier. And you stiff him:confused:

LOL, Jk

Buy a brand packaged in glass bottles with metal lids and it will last several years past its "Best by" date.
Yeah, and it can remain useful. I have an expired jar that smells alittle rancid. I won't eat it but it is good for making rodent and ant bait, also useful in tough times.

I'll bet you are staschin' pre cooked BACON!:baconflag:

Heh, heh, just beginning to find it again following the issues of the pandemic. Hmmmm. Bacon and peanut butter samiches. The perfect survival food. YMMV

Buy a brand packaged in glass bottles with metal lids and it will last several years past its "Best by" date.

We use glass jars to store dry goods like rice and pasta, also use plastic tubs with screw on lids from protein powder for flour, sugar, etc.

Same here. For me, the impetus wasn't disasters, but the desire to reduce the amount of time spent in stores. Now that I'm alone, I go to the box store every two months; the grocery store, for perishables, every 2 weeks.

I still don't seem to have enough time in my day :LOL:

We've always had enough food and supplies on hand to go for several months without resupply, if necessary.

The Islands supposedly have no more than a 7-day supply of food at any given time. Every hurricane (or Tsunami warning) empties store shelves in hours. We keep several weeks of food on hand just in case. I try to keep it organized by date but DW simply makes things fit when we buy anything. So we occasionally end up eating expired food. Not dangerous (unless swollen can) but the taste suffers.

I think it's wise to stock pile at least a modest amount of food. We never know what might interrupt supplies. YMMV

I live on Oahu, and I have a bunch of Mountain House freeze-dried food stashed away, just in case. They have a 30-yr shelf life. I just didn't want to have to worry about keeping and rotating stock, though I do try to keep more canned goods on hand during hurricane season.

True, but you'll lose a lot of weight even though you have "food." You will not be happy either. My point: Be sure what you stash for emergency is something you actually like. YMMV

I'll backup Koolau's statement of you have to like it.
I bought some Nutristore freeze dried from Costco. I don't know how they did it, but they managed to mess up Mac&Cheese. Absolutely inedible.
Then there are things like "too spicy"... I genuinely like most Mountain House meals, but their chili-mac is kinda like the pepper laced bird food that keeps squirrels away.

Anybody wanna trade some Nutristore freeze dried for something like powdered eggs and SPAM? ;)

I've been eating this stuff for years, great emergency food. No fridge needed for 18 months.

I can vouch for the salisbury steak & the chili mac - :)

Just nuke it up and eat it!

I'll backup Koolau's statement of you have to like it.
I bought some Nutristore freeze dried from Costco. I don't know how they did it, but they managed to mess up Mac&Cheese. Absolutely inedible.
Then there are things like "too spicy"... I genuinely like most Mountain House meals, but their chili-mac is kinda like the pepper laced bird food that keeps squirrels away.

Anybody wanna trade some Nutristore freeze dried for something like powdered eggs and SPAM? ;)

You reminded me, of how my parents relaxed about nuclear war and broke open the metal trunks of freeze dried food. Or maybe it was because we were super poor at that time so it supplemented our food.

I can vouch that the freeze dried or dried food from 1955->1960 was pretty awful and I must have been extremely hungry to eat it :(

You reminded me, of how my parents relaxed about nuclear war and broke open the metal trunks of freeze dried food. Or maybe it was because we were super poor at that time so it supplemented our food.

I can vouch that the freeze dried or dried food from 1955->1960 was pretty awful and I must have been extremely hungry to eat it :(

In the 1960's when I was on a paid vacation to a war, we ate MRE's from the early 1940's, and they were pretty good. They even had cigarettes in the box! They were only 25 years old at the time so I guess they were considered "fresh". :D

In the 1960's when I was on a paid vacation to a war, we ate MRE's from the early 1940's, and they were pretty good. They even had cigarettes in the box! They were only 25 years old at the time so I guess they were considered "fresh". :D

A memento of those days.

Attachments

• p38.jpg
    p38.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

That's what we all thought. But I'm afraid it's another urban myth.

I lived for over a month at one point on those boxes full of cans (and a pack of 4 cigarettes in each box) so I'm very familiar with them.

Actually, C-Rations were discontinued in 1958 and replaced with the MCI (Meal, Combat, Individual). It looked the same, and was really mostly the same (and everyone still called them C-Rations), but they were newly produced meals, not old leftovers from the previous war.

MREs (Meals, Ready to Eat) were introduced in 1981, and were a big improvement.

That's what we all thought. But I'm afraid it's another urban myth.

I lived for over a month at one point on those boxes full of cans (and a pack of 4 cigarettes in each box) so I'm very familiar with them.

Actually, C-Rations were discontinued in 1958 and replaced with the MCI (Meal, Combat, Individual). It looked the same, and was really mostly the same (and everyone still called them C-Rations), but they were newly produced meals, not old leftovers from the previous war.

MREs (Meals, Ready to Eat) were introduced in 1981, and were a big improvement.

Thanks, I didn't know the history and as a young man at the time, it was food. :D

Haha...I keep one on my keychain for good luck, and if I ever have to open a can again.

Got a couple in my hurricane bag. One for me, one for barter! Bet I can get a gold coin from the guy who forgot to pack a can opener! lol.

Back
Top Bottom