Sudden Flood of Spam emails

I have never had to do this in the past. The filtering was done by the email provider.

I'm not sure then.

But I'd think that what is spam is very subjective so would need the person receiving to identify if the incoming email is spam or not.

For example, an email from a live theater saying subscribe and buy season tickets. For one person that's spam. For another, the subscription sign up is exactly what's desired. Only by the person marking if the email is spam or not can the filter learn how to treat future similar emails.

The email provider may do some assuming and guessing, but I'd think the person marking as spam or not adds precision to the filter.

Last edited:
Getting daily spam from various 'companies' about how my Experian and Equifax Sept scores are way high. Started about 10 days ago. All from companies on behalf of Freescore360. Today they've upped it and am now getting multiple emails per day. Not happy but am concerned about unsuscribing and will that bring on more spam.

It sounds like Hotmail tweaked their filters and kaboom, unexpected consequences.

I add filters to Thunderbird, such as the TLD one I created. After filtering for a few newsletters I like to read, and putting those in a READ folder, every email goes through this filter. If your TLD is not in my list, you go to TRASH. See below.

Then I have additional filters to block spam keywords in the SUBJECT line, and so on.

Attachments

• TLD_filters.JPG
    TLD_filters.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 32
Have you replied to these in any way? Clicked "unsubscribe" or go to a link in that email to "unsubscribe"?
That lets the scammers know that there is a human at the other end. they then sell your email to other scammers for a little more profit.
Until the spammer(s) is shut down, the only things you can do are:
1) delete the email
2) If the email includes a URL shortener or a free email account, copy the header and then forward that email to that company so the email/URL shortener can be deleted.

It sounds like Hotmail tweaked their filters and kaboom, unexpected consequences.

I add filters to Thunderbird, such as the TLD one I created. After filtering for a few newsletters I like to read, and putting those in a READ folder, every email goes through this filter. If your TLD is not in my list, you go to TRASH. See below.

Then I have additional filters to block spam keywords in the SUBJECT line, and so on.

Thanks for posting this. I will adapt this filter for Outlook. Will save me lots of time vs. setting it up from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom