Suggestions on how to invest lump sum

younginvestor2013

Recycles dryer sheets
I sold off about 18% of my portfolio to cash at the end of 2017. I was planning to buy a house but that fell through. I now am sitting on a sizable chunk of cash currently invested in an online savings account earning 1.6% APY.

I have no plans to purchase a house nor use this money for any major purchases. I have dipped into it a bit for some new furniture but aside from that, I have no short term need for these funds.

Do I simply re-invest it according to my AA? I am looking to invest/do something with about 2/3rds of the 21% cash noted below.

Current allocation is as follows, in various index and mutual funds:

Large Value 13%
Large Blend 11%
Large Growth 11%
Mid Blend 11%
Small Blend 11%
Int'l - Developed 17%
Int'l - Emerging Small Cap 5%
Cash - 21%

FWIW, only debt is about $185k on a $265k home at 4.25%. Still have about 27 years left on the mortgage.

+4, but if that makes you nervous, DCA the money back in over a period of months(4-6-12??).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

--- Do I simply re-invest it according to my AA? ...
Money is fungible, though most of us engage in what Richard Thaler calls "mental accounting." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_accounting)

Realizing this may help you in making your decision.

That "windfall" is already part of your AA. It's no different than any other money. So the question is only "Given my current AA, do I want to rebalance and, if so, how?"

Back
Top Bottom