Table Cloth Help Needed

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just set up the dining room table I got from my parents' house.

It is a wooden table made by the Hitchcock Chair Company. It has two leaves that can be added. I figure to put the leaves in to avoid the problem of where to store them.

There are pieces of some sort of padded hard material cut to fit on the top of the table. I guess this is to protect the wood top. My parents had a table cloth over this.

With the leaves in the table measures 88x42 inches.

What size table cloth should I be getting to fit the fully extended table?

Thanks.

You want it draping over at least 4 inches on each side. They come in standard sizes so look to see what is available. I used to do what your parents did to protect the table but then had a piece of glass cut and delivered to put on the table and now I get to look at the beautiful wood. It protects the table and is easy to clean. It is expensive but lasts forever.

Thanks.
I saw one 55x102 that should fit and has a look that I might like.

The glass idea does sound nice. But the full table would be way too heavy for me to handle. If I did that I might need two pieces. The ends are scalloped so that might be challenging to cut.

Thanks.
I saw one 55x102 that should fit and has a look that I might like.

That's a very good size for your table according to this. A 4" drop isn't enough...at least 6 to 8" is the norm for a casual look, longer for formal.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/ideas-and-advice/how-to-choose-tablecloth-size
For casual events, tablecloths should have a 6- to 8-inch drop from the edge of the table to the bottom of the tablecloth. For more formal events, the best choice is a tablecloth that has a 15-inch drop from the edge of the table to the bottom of the tablecloth.

Last edited:
I just set up the dining room table I got from my parents' house.

It is a wooden table made by the Hitchcock Chair Company. It has two leaves that can be added. I figure to put the leaves in to avoid the problem of where to store them. ...

We have oval tables with extensions at each of our homes. In both cases, when the table is fully open the leaves can be stored perpendicular to the table on the framing below the table surface. Very handy for us.

Back
Top Bottom