Taking my dog on travels

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
For years, my husband and I have planned on spending months overseas once we retired. But now I'm worried about missing our dogs too much to spend much time away. Those of you who take your dogs overseas, please let me know the particulars of doing so. We are pros at traveling with them in the US, but have never taken them abroad. Does it impede your mobility significantly? Can you take them on trains? We would probably only take one of our dogs--a well-behaved 9 lb yorkiepoo.

Our neighbors are in the military and travel overseas often. They always brought their dog, although he passed away recently from old age. He weighed about 30 lbs. She said it was stressful but they did not want to leave him behind. And he recovered pretty quickly. They typically stayed in one place overseas as they also have children. Did not travel around. It's hard to say about flying and moving from place to place. It probably depends on the dog's ability to adapt to change.

Our neighbors are in the military and travel overseas often. They always brought their dog, although he passed away recently from old age. He weighed about 30 lbs. She said it was stressful but they did not want to leave him behind. And he recovered pretty quickly.

Good for him!

We were not about to go to Europe with a 130 pound Rottweiler. We'd be embarrassed about how misbehaved she was vs. European Rottweilers.

We lost her when we were in Greece in June--after 8 years. She was the best dog I ever stole--living on a log chain as a puppy. We won't miss the $1K a year we spent on kennels, however. As travelers, cats suit our lifestyle better.

Isn't it almost impossible to travel overseas with your pets? Everywhere I've been they animal would have to be quarantined for weeks just to get in. We've always had dogs and just board them. We found a fellow dog lover who treats them like her own. We did a 10 day cruise around Iceland this summer and she sent multiple videos daily of their adventures. Next year is a 20 day trip with the same sitter.

I have flown all over the US with my dogs but when I go to Europe I don’t stay longer than 2 weeks and hire a friend to live in my house. Most countries have long quarantines.

For years, my husband and I have planned on spending months overseas once we retired. But now I'm worried about missing our dogs too much to spend much time away. Those of you who take your dogs overseas, please let me know the particulars of doing so. We are pros at traveling with them in the US, but have never taken them abroad. Does it impede your mobility significantly? Can you take them on trains? We would probably only take one of our dogs--a well-behaved 9 lb yorkiepoo.

Sounds more like you would only miss 1 of the dogs ;)

I'm not sure you can do this, as I always thought animals have to be quarantined for some months upon entry..

Maybe you could get the home camera's that you could look in on your pets anytime , and talk to them, and hear them bark to you. The camera's Wyze and Efuy are cheap (less than $50) and at that price both are 2K , so nice and sharp view. No subscription fees either.
You would need a home/pet sitter to visit.

Our neighbors are in the military and travel overseas often. They always brought their dog, although he passed away recently from old age. He weighed about 30 lbs. She said it was stressful but they did not want to leave him behind. And he recovered pretty quickly. They typically stayed in one place overseas as they also have children. Did not travel around. It's hard to say about flying and moving from place to place. It probably depends on the dog's ability to adapt to change.

It’s not clear to me if your military neighbors took their dog overseas when they were transferred (as in a multi-year assignment) or if you are referring to vacation travel. I once shipped (air) a dog to Spain when I was transferred there for 3 years (and was extended to a fourth). But the last thing in the world I would have wanted to do was bring him on a vacation trip overseas. (“OK, boy. See the pretty statue. NO! Don’t do that on it! Baaad dog.”)

We’ve always avoided travel overseas with our dog due to quarantine issues. Our best option in the past was using a doggy day care that offered live internet of our dog in his pen, which wasn’t a cage, but more of a doggy apartment.

Our beloved dog was recently killed at a local daycare facility due to their negligence. The case is still in the courts at the moment. Another local story in our area was a daycare facility had a fire and four dogs died while the family was on vacation.

We likely will never leave a future dog anywhere outside our care.

There is a YouTube channel of a couple that travel with two little dogs, they make it work somehow...

Here's a pretty good summary of the requirements for the EU and the pet passport program
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/animal-plant/index_en.htm

I know someone who regularly takes her chihuahua mix back and forth. The dog goes everywhere -- it is France. However, since COVID the US airlines have become increasingly less pet friendly.

For really large dogs or sensitive animals, people that can afford it for relocations are using shared private charters. There are a couple of FB groups you can join to learn more.

There are a couple of youtubers I follow who travel with their dogs. You might want to follow them and maybe contact them. Their channel is "Our Freedom Years."

I know places without rabies like Hawaii and Australia are quite difficult but I think the rest of the world is relatively easy.

I see, already posted!

Australia doesn’t allow dogs to fly in and if you sneak one in and they find out they euthanize it.

Australia doesn’t allow dogs to fly in and if you sneak one in and they find out they euthanize it.

Not even close. There are many procedures to allow you to bring a dog to australia. A quick Googling brings you to:

https://petraveller.com.au/blog/bringing-your-pet-to-australia-all-you-need-to-know
and many other sites with the same info. It's not easy or cheap, and requires permits and vaccinations.

As far ass "sneak one in" that would be incredibly irresponsible. And I would hope no traveler would make it out of the airport.

Not even close. There are many procedures to allow you to bring a dog to australia. A quick Googling brings you to:

https://petraveller.com.au/blog/bringing-your-pet-to-australia-all-you-need-to-know
and many other sites with the same info. It's not easy or cheap, and requires permits and vaccinations.

As far ass "sneak one in" that would be incredibly irresponsible. And I would hope no traveler would make it out of the airport.

A penalty to euthanize the owner would cut down on repeat offences ;) :LOL:

Well I guess my relative that lives in Australia doesn’t know what she is talking about then.

Our old dog was very disappointed with us.

We just knew she desperately wanted to visit the Eiffel Tower with us, see Loch Lomond, tour the Acropolis, and spend time in Cappadocia.

Alas.....she stayed at home where she was in a comfortable and a familiar environment.

No car, air, or seasickness...let alone foreign foods to upset her delicate digestive system. No language barriers.

We are not certain to this day if she ever forgave us. It still weights heavily on both our consciences

Last edited:

USA is in the 3rd group so our dogs would be quarantined for 10 days. Thats just too hard on mine. S can take him to the coast & then SF for a mini-vacation. I'll miss him but quarantine is just too hard on him. Maybe thats why ppl who think they're above the law try to sneak them in

Back
Top Bottom