Talk me into or out of booking business class

A few months ago I got the Capital one venture card with a 40,000 miles bonus so I have 60,000 miles to put towards this trip . Having the money to pay for the trip is not the issue . It is whether I see the value in spending the money for the upgrade . I got to fire by being pretty cheap all my life so to let go now is hard even though I know I deserve it .I am leaning heavily towards business class especially since my travel days are winding down .

Do it :). The stars aligned and you worked hard for a long time, so you can afford it. I know what you would do with the $1300 if you don't spend it on business class--nothing :LOL:. Better great memories in our hearts than excess cold cash in the bank at this stage of our lives.

Do NOT take a nap! It makes it harder for your body to adjust to the new timezone and extends jetlag. Best thing to do is go outside and get sunlight, and try not to go to bed till a somewhat normal time. Try to get some sunlight first thing in the morning too- it really helps with jet lag-

This is very true. It's hard to do when you arrive (traveling eastward, like US to Europe) because a nap is what you want most. But it's so worth it to force yourself to stay up until normal European bedtime. You've accomplished a bit of sightseeing and next morning you're completely back to normal.

Go for it! I know that travel means a lot to you, so this sounds like a good way to spend your discretionary money.

In fact, I'd also suggest a pretty luxurious hotel or hotels, great restaurants, and similar top-of-the-line spending to help make this an amazing trip to remember with joy, for years to come. Since your travel days are winding down, your travel budget will be less in the future and you can afford more spending than usual for this particular trip, to make it the trip of your dreams. Take lots of photos, try not to over-do, and have a wonderful time. :)

What she said! :cool:

Is it possible that jet lag isn't such a big deal for some people? I can't recall feeling it at all when we flew the 3 hr time zone difference to Vegas a couple of times.

If I'm in Lisbon and wake up at 10 am. That's just like waking at 5 am at home (a bit earlier than when I get up during the school week). Though I'll likely be going to bed early on the first day anyway, so might be awake before 10 am on day 2. Maybe I need a nap on day 1, maybe I won't (mid-day naps rarely interrupt my ability to go to sleep in the evening; mid-day coffees however will keep me up all night).

Yeah the first day will suck, but that's going to be true regardless of class of flight (unless you can persuade me that first class is more comfortable than my quiet, dark, perfect temperature extremely soft king size mattress in a private bedroom).

I've never done the Europe flight,
Is it an age thing? Maybe I'll feel differently at 46 or 56 or 66 than I do now at 36.

With respect, Fuego, until you have travelled across 5-10 time zones, and at an older age than you are now, you have not experienced serious jet lag, and your advice to Moemg should be discounted accordingly.

In my experience, flights to and from a closely related time zone in South America are different animals from flights to and from Europe and Asia.

Is it possible that jet lag isn't such a big deal for some people? I can't recall feeling it at all when we flew the 3 hr time zone difference to Vegas a couple of times.
Some people are able to manage jet lag more easily than others. Still, I side with Meadbh that 3 hours isn't much of a change, 10 is a lot tougher. We just got returned from a trip to Germany and a 7 hour difference, and time adjustment was more difficult - both ways - than 20 years ago. Age matters. :)

Business class doesn't help with jet lag, even if you sleep well on the flight.

Curiously I haven't splurged on expensive hotel rooms. I've booked "luxury" hotels but I'm not doing room service, don't like having my bags trucked up to the room and don't take advantage of amenities like massage or wellness spas.

I do not hang out at the hotel bar or the beautiful rooftop pool. Usually spend most of the day away from the hotel because I don't consider it one of the attractions at the destination but obviously other people would consider a resort with private beach to be one of the reasons they go there.

I get offers for elite status with Mariott or I see offers for Hilton, Starwood and others but I don't chase them like I do the points and miles.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something but the only value I see in a full-service luxury hotel is to be pampered, which is fine but that would take time away from seeing the sights at the place I went to.

For instance, I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong and Vietnam. Seems like really nice hotels in both places. For Hong Kong, got a pretty nice hotel in a central location but I passed up more expensive hotels with club levels and a pool scene at the top. I've been to HK before but I'd rather go on hikes than hang out at the hotel.

In Vietnam, there are very nice local or regional hotels with great reviews. One of them in Hoi An offers all these programs like tours and meals if you stay with them. If I can see enough of the town and the beach on my own maybe I'll have time to hang out at the hotel more. But it's a short stay.

If you can afford it, and you would like to do it....then do it.
:)
I only fly BC because that is what I like and I can afford it....and yes I am still LBYM (as the active word there is "YOUR" means....not someone else's).
At 6'4 and 265lbs it makes me about as comfortable as I can be on a plane without spending what I consider to be "too much" for 1st class (but I have no problem with other people spending their money for 1st class...if that is what they like). My wife flies BC with me, and she is tiny and frugal and would never do it except I want to.
You got yourself in the position to be able to afford some of the lil' perks, why not enjoy yourself now?
:)

I wouldn't pay to upgrade. I have never actually enjoyed a flight- I just dislike it less when I fly an upgraded class. I'd use the money I save to pay for something that I DO enjoy on vacation- like a few extra days, a nice dinner out- an expensive tour- whatever. But as others mentioned, I'm 44, so there is little difference in discomfort. They are all long and boring and I always take a valium regardless of where I sit- I am a white knuckle flyer. I'm small too- so i fit pretty easily into the seats. But that's how I'd get the most value for my money- its all in what you value.

+1
This is my feeling exactly. I often used to fly business class for work, but am too cheap to do it when it is my own money. Sometimes on a long trip from California to Asia or Europe, sitting in coach I will curse myself for not spending for the extra leg room, but when I get to my destination I am so happy I didn't waste the money, I have much more to spend there, and can do so much more with that money.

Every time, the trip sucks. Going is business class certainly makes it bearable, and you'll arrive in Europe in a much clearer state of mind, especially if you depart the US as late as possible. That way you can
actually get some REM sleep on the jet, which is important.

But regardless, your body will need at least 3 days to adjust to a 5 hour time difference, and you won't feel "right" until 5 days after the travel. On day 1 or 2, you'll think you are going strong, and then at 4pm, sitting in a comfy chair will result in an unintended 2-hour nap. And then at 2am in Europe, you'll be wide awake, regardless of what time you went to bed. THAT is jet lag!

Yes, jet lag sucks, especially if you have to make a presentation early in the morning the next day after your arrival. After many trips to Asia I have found that I am not fully myself until maybe day 6. Day 2 or 3 is often the hardest for me. And flying business class really does nothing to help jet lag, it's a circadian rhythm thing.

I have found my saving in sleeping pills, I never take them except when I travel, and then take for 4 nights, trying to get up early and into the sun every morning at my destination. This keeps me functional until I get my rhythm back around day 6. Always first check with your doctor on which pill they recommend for your age and health.

One other comment, now that I no longer have to fly for work, or to fit into some limited vacation schedule because I have to get back for work, I would never plan a many time zone trip for less than 3 or 4 weeks, preferably much more.

Unless needed for health reasons, skip the business class upgrade and upgrade to a few more weeks at your destination.

One other comment, now that I no longer have to fly for work, or to fit into some limited vacation schedule because I have to get back for work, I would never plan a many time zone trip for less than 3 or 4 weeks, preferably much more.

A big +1 on that. The whole jet lag thing isn't a big deal when you can afford to burn the first several days of your trip taking it easy and recuperating (especially when biz/1st isn't a solution to jet lag anyway!). Although if you're dropping several thousand extra $ on biz class, and your travel budget doesn't run into the tens of thousands, you might not be able to afford the extra 3-6 days of vacation. ;)

We also have struggled with the business class option for international travel. Unless the difference is under 100%, we finally have settled on booking premium economy. This allows us to upgrade with points when seats are available, ensures of at least a civil amount of personal space (I am over 6 ft) and prefers more $$ for enjoyment at our destination.
Nwsteve

You can't take your money with you. $1300 is not very much for a business class ticket especially if you get lie flat seats. We Fly business class for flights greater than 5.5 hours. That was the rule at the company when I was working and now our rule during retirement. When flying coach within the US, we use premium airlines such as Virgin America or Jet Blue. Their seating, entertainment systems, and service is far better than Delta, United, or American Airlines. Premium Economy of Lufthansa is not very good. To me the seats are not much better than economy class. Being frugal is good since it led to an early retirement. However, sitting in coach for an extended period can cause back pain and other discomfort. Is the pain and suffering really worth it? Spend the extra money and enjoy life.

Last edited:
If I'm travelling with someone and can get a 2 seater part of a row, I don't care that much about an upgrade. The extra legroom is nice, but mostly it's the direct intrusion of my space by a stranger that bothers me most. I'm a lot more likely to upgrade when I'm alone.

Well after a lot of analyzing and checking seat guru . I went with Lufthansa premium economy . The AA flight was angled flat seats not lay flat plus I would also have to fly first class on the connecting flight which was only an hour and that added $200 to the cost . The Lufthansa flight also gets into Tampa earlier and I got the front seats in premium economy which have the leg rests so they are basically recliners .Now what to spend the savings on ? We are staying an additional day in Barcelona so I think we will do a side trip to Girona .

Good to hear. :) Enjoy the extra day. Wine, tapas, lots of jamon iberico, a nice hotel, maybe hire a local tour guide to show you around. You'll still have several hundred left over on your flight back home in premium economy.

Ok so for me it's more than just the flight. I have bad knees so on a long fight the worst thing is no leg room. It can take me days to recover. Go for it. The absolute worst thing that can happen is you don't think it's worth it and never do it again

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Nah, the worst that happens is you get spoiled and decide you'll never fly Coach in long-haul again. Happened to DH and me!

Well after a lot of analyzing and checking seat guru . I went with Lufthansa premium economy . The AA flight was angled flat seats not lay flat plus I would also have to fly first class on the connecting flight which was only an hour and that added $200 to the cost . The Lufthansa flight also gets into Tampa earlier and I got the front seats in premium economy which have the leg rests so they are basically recliners .Now what to spend the savings on ? We are staying an additional day in Barcelona so I think we will do a side trip to Girona .

I think you'll be very happy with that! :dance:

Nah, the worst that happens is you get spoiled and decide you'll never fly Coach in long-haul again. Happened to DH and me!

+1

I obtained elite status with the main airline we fly. Our first flight of the following year, we were given first class upgrades for the entire trip. DW decided she only wants to fly first class for any flights over 4 hours. Later, we had trip where we flew coach for 3 hours and I got death stares, like it was in my power to demand and receive a complementary upgrade. Like out kids say, first world problems.

Have a wonderful trip. I hope it is the best ever!

Back
Top Bottom