Talk to me about cameras for retirement..

Although phone cameras are good enough for most occasions, I still carry my trusty Canon 5d II DSLR with 17-40mm zoom pretty much permanently attached when we go somewhere scenic. The combination is somewhat heavy and bulky. It is too inconvenient to pull it out of the backpack so I carry it in a camera bag cross body style. It makes me look like the proverbial tourist. It is big but provides lots of padded protection. But most importantly the camera is easily accessible and put away for me to take lots of shots.

Update.
I went ahead and bought the RX100 VII and I'm extremely happy with it. Although the differences are small when you just read the specs, the performance is noticeably better even to my very amateur eye. Glad I got it.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_dscrx100m6&products=sony_dscrx100m7

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-rx100-vii-vs-rx100-vi-3924752

Speaking of Sony RX100's, I've been shooting some collections things indoors with my RX100 V. Camera is controlled by my MacBook. It's taking some fairly crisp photos.

WzgbaIc.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.21.36 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 6.21.36 AM.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 15
Speaking of Sony RX100's, I've been shooting some collections things indoors with my RX100 V. Camera is controlled by my MacBook. It's taking some fairly crisp photos.

Interesting setup.
Does this camera come with software to control it, or are you using some other software ?
Lastly, I'm not understanding the advantage of using the computer to control the camera, what extra benefit is there ?

Interesting setup.
Does this camera come with software to control it, or are you using some other software ?
Lastly, I'm not understanding the advantage of using the computer to control the camera, what extra benefit is there ?

Yes - Sony has Imaging Edge software that I use to control it.

I'm using the computer for a few reasons.

1. Computer has a bigger screen to set up the composition, and has an easier interface over the camera for changing settings.

2. Don't need to mess with memory cards. I use Lightroom on my desktop computer to import the photo files from the laptop.

3. Don't have to worry about camera battery - camera gets power from the laptop.

Fuji Fixed Lens X100

Mine is the x100F and a photographer friend talked me into it. The camera is small and light. It is a fixed lens but the detail and color are great, so you really don't miss the zoom lens. It works great for travel.
br

Attachments

• _DSF8802.jpg
    _DSF8802.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom