Tax Loss Harvesting Question

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Account In Question: Taxable
Filing Status: Single
Wash Sale Concerns: None.

Had a friendly debate with someone concerning tax loss harvesting last night.

She says I can sell shares with long-term capital gains of $10,000.00
Then turn around & sell shares with a loss of $10,000.00, & it's a wash.
(no additional tax liability for me)

I disagreed. I was under the impression that you could only use losses of up to $3000 (married filing jointly) or $1500 (individual) against gains in any particular year. (the remaining capital losses of $8500.00 could be carried over)

In that case, I’d be left with $8500.00 in capital gains for 2020. This would be disastrous for me, as it would put me well over the income cliff related to healthcare insurance subs.

Who’s right ?

I disagreed. I was under the impression that you could only use losses of up to $3000 (married filing jointly) or $1500 (individual) against gains in any particular year. (the remaining capital losses of $8500.00 could be carried over)

In that case, I’d be left with $8500.00 in capital gains for 2020. This would be disastrous for me, as it would put me well over the income cliff related to healthcare insurance subs.

Who’s right ?

You can offset other gains. You can only deduct up to three thousand against other income.

She's correct.

Who’s right ?
You can apply any capital losses against capital gains including long-term capital gains distributions from mutual funds. The $3000 per year loss limit applies to ordinary income only.

She is correct, but be careful because "it's a wash" can mean something else specifically when discussing selling shares in a taxable account. It is not a wash sale. I know you didn't mean that it was.

She's right. You can offset gains and losses. However if you have net losses then you can use up to $3,000 a year against ordinary income.

The knowledge base here at ERF comes through again!
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom