Texas bullet Train

Trains work if there is a good local public transportation system that connects at the station. Many European countries have this: arrive at the station and hop a subway system that will take you to various parts of the city where you are within walking distance of most things. Just dumping people off within the city limits and expecting them to somehow get around does not work.

I would bet that the vast majority of the people who would take the train are the people who are flying now... so there is not difference in what is needed at each end...

I just looked at SW air and saw 20 non-stop flights tomorrow from Houston to Dallas... some already sold out... and it is $229 each way...

If you need to stay awhile or have to drive a long way after arriving, their will be rental cars at the depot just like there is at an airport...

Edit to add.... 17 non-stop flights from IAH to DFW also... with a price of $427 round trip...

Last edited:
I think it would be really cool. I hate flying and don't mind driving and have driven between the Houston area and DFW area many, many, many times. But, there will come a time when I won't want to do that. So a 90 minute trip would be great.

That said -- I am not optimistic this will happen. There is a lot of opposition to this train and it will surprise if it happens. Well -- if it happens in my lifetime. But, I sure wish it would happen....

At least they gave up on the canal idea...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/the-unholy-trinity-incident/

Dallas has a commuter rail system, though it leaves large swaths of DFW served only by bus, if at all...

Dang. Had never heard of this before. Just crazy. The Trinity river is such a cesspool. That would’ve been quite the boondoggle. Thanks for the wade through history.

DART is not much to count on for actually getting anywhere in the metroplex.

Back
Top Bottom