The Jumping Off Point

Ohio Retiree

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello, I came here to learn more about retiring early. I have a lot of thought into this already, and have run the numbers, but I figure I can always learn from those that have been there already.

I'm 61, and turn 62 in January 2021. I'm seriously looking at retiring in the spring of 2021.

It's a big decision.

welcome
I am also new here and joined to get more info , There is a lot of good info on here .

Welcome both. Feel free to ask your questions. I have had my fair share of basic, naive questions to this forum, and everyone has been super helpful.

Welcome both. Feel free to ask your questions. I have had my fair share of basic, naive questions to this forum, and everyone has been super helpful.

I’ll add my welcomes. This site is great for not only before but AFTER retirement! All sorts of good people chipping in. :)

I’ll add my welcomes. This site is great for not only before but AFTER retirement! All sorts of good people chipping in. :)
The rest of us also chirp in, just to keep things balanced. :)

I retired last year at 63, not really very early.
Wish I had found this site 10 years ago! So many generous people offering great info.

DH and I will be fine financially but would have perhaps make a few different moves if I had been learning here longer.
When to take SS, Roth conversions, lump sum vs annuity, mortgage payoff.
Soooo many decisions!

Best to you on your journey!

It is a big decision, but if you can think of any questions that would help settle your mind, ask away. Whatever it is, there is most likely somebody on the board who knows the answer.

Take any two regular posters and you get genius-level responses. I hope that comes across in the correct fashion.
:D

Be sure to check in after posting and respond as you see fit.

What on Earth would you do all day? :confused:

Welcome!
I can tell you, not that you already know, but you won't find a more knowledgeable group of people on the subject then here.

I wish I could help you but what I learned about retirement and finance issues I learned from the people here.

I can tell you if you can retire do it as soon as you can. Enjoy life and just live day to day.

Welcome aboard. This crowd sure helped me before I retired, as expected. They’ve continued to be most helpful since I retired too, that I hadn’t expected. It’s a really good, level headed group, and well moderated to keep us all civilized. Any retirement question you might have, you’ll find thoughtful responses here 95% of the time.

Welcome -

I found this forum to be super helpful to me in my decision process and planning for early retirement.

If you haven't already - run your numbers through firecalc (linked at the bottom of the page). Some tips: all spending and income numbers are annual. spending is "all in" - so taxes, vacations, new dental crowns... everything! It's the GROSS number you need. Make sure you go through ALL the tabs at the top - to input expected SS, pension, asset allocation, etc. The nest egg is spendable assets - if you have a house that you don't plan to sell - don't include it on the first page.

Welcome -

I found this forum to be super helpful to me in my decision process and planning for early retirement.

If you haven't already - run your numbers through firecalc (linked at the bottom of the page). Some tips: all spending and income numbers are annual. spending is "all in" - so taxes, vacations, new dental crowns... everything! It's the GROSS number you need. Make sure you go through ALL the tabs at the top - to input expected SS, pension, asset allocation, etc. The nest egg is spendable assets - if you have a house that you don't plan to sell - don't include it on the first page.

I looked at the Firecalc, and need to read more detail on the use. I input some data and ran the calculator. It shows an upward swing. But I need to read the page more thoroughly and make sure I'm using it correctly.

Welcome! I have learned so much from the members of this forum, so many knowledgeable folks, good humor, gentle teasing. Fun place :)
One of the first place folks aimed me towards was this forum:

Some Important Questions to Answer Before Asking - Can I Retire?

Back
Top Bottom